Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Size limit for CF cards?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 9:24 pm    Post subject: Size limit for CF cards? Reply with quote

Does any body know if the digital cameras have a size limit for Compact Flash cards?
I have found a 16Gb card with a good price, but I am afraid that it might be too big to handle for my 5D and 400D.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I answer my own question: it seems that there is a formatting limit of 8Gb in many EOS cameras; 16 Gb cards may be formatted with a computer, but then operativity is not always guaranteed.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't recall where I read it Orio but it's 8Gb for the 5D - might have been on the Canon site, I think.

You can format a CF card for a camera in a computer as long as you format in FAT (FAT16) rather than FAT32.

I haven't tried any cards greater than 8Gb but I would imagine that the camera will "see" the 16Gb card as an 8Gb card, much like how the BIOS on a computer only allows the system to see the HDD capacity permitted by the BIOS itself, everything over and above that being ignored.

As an aside, I had a laptop where the BIOS only allowed for a max. of 8Gb so when I put a 20Gb drive in, I had to partition the drive so I could access the full 20Gb.