Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Silica gel
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 8:18 pm    Post subject: Silica gel Reply with quote

I've to store some of my photographic equipment on a "hostile" environment and I think in using Silica Gel to keep them dry, so I'd appreciate any info on it.

My questions are:

Are you using Silica gel for keeping the lenses and cameras dry?.
If so, which kind of Silica Gel are you using?.
Do you fill your own bags or buy them ready?.
How to "dry" the Silica Gel?

Thanks in advance.
Jes.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I use it, buy it already packed, and they say they can be dried in the oven at low temperatures, but I never tried.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is true that you can dry the silica packets in the oven, and they are good as new. Don't forget to "exercise" you equipment a couple times a year if possible. Wink

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have so low humidity here, it's just ridiculous. Right now, I have 34% humidity in my studio. It's even too dry.

Humidity here goes above 60% only when it rains a lot. Which does not happen very often.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laurence wrote:
It is true that you can dry the silica packets in the oven, and they are good as new. Don't forget to "exercise" you equipment a couple times a year if possible. Wink

Thanks Laurence. I expect not to let the equipment there for a long time, (I need to reorganize my working space at my flat), hope much less than six month... But one never knows.

Jes.

Last edited by Jesito on Sun Jan 27, 2008 9:38 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
Yes, I use it, buy it already packed, and they say they can be dried in the oven at low temperatures, but I never tried.

Hi Orio, that what's I wanted to know.
I live next to the sea, and if I have to put stuff in the garage. Since the temperatures are quite variable between day and night, there is always water condensation, that is going to be a god base for fungus.

I've found two types of Silica Gel: the one packed in bags that doesn't change the colour, and the unpacked one that turns into red when saturated.
Not sure how to build bags to use it.

Jes.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this seller seems to use baptism tissue
Click here to see on Ebay
I am also thinking to order such things and open to suggestion

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

poilu wrote:
this seller seems to use baptism tissue
I am also thinking to order such things and open to suggestion

Thanks Poilu!. This one is the one I need, with an indicator to see when the S.G. gets saturated of water.

I'm going to order these.
What are you going to do?

Jes.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Read this thread... on first page I show how I store lenses and what chemical I use.

http://forum.mflenses.com/storing-lenses-t812.html

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
Read this thread... on first page I show how I store lenses and what chemical I use.

Attila, maybe that thread merits a 'sticky'?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:

Nice and detailed information seen there. Now I've got a different perception of the problem. And got an idea....

Do you recall a product called "Pump 'n Seal"?. It was heavly advertised on spanish TV long ago. For those that didn't know about it, was composed of a pump, containers and seals. The seals were a kind of air valve. With the pump, one was able of getting the air out of the container, the seal kept it out. Placing some water absorbing chemicals inside, could be a nice solution for our storage problem: If no air, no fungus. Once closed and the air taken out, the remaining air inside will be dryied by the chemicals. No need for ventilation...

I've found a Pump 'n Seal kit on eBay:

I found their web site: http://www.pump-n-seal.com/

Jes.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suppose to be works.