Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Seneca Trio Folding Camera lens on 350D
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 6:42 pm    Post subject: Seneca Trio Folding Camera lens on 350D Reply with quote

Before I started buying manual focus lenses, I followed Veijo site.. I am trying to copying his experiments.. not successful most of the time... This time able to made the adapter for early 20th century lens...

I bought the broken Seneca Trio Folding Camera. Took the lens out, and used with Canon RebelXT/350D.

I am not able to find much about the camera, although the brand was very popular in 1910-20s for large format (8x10). The camera was I think around 6x9 format using 130mm film.
I am thinking lens to be around 1910s...

All Captured wide open (I think its around f6+) and focal length around ~100mm.
Just light contrast and very slight saturation enhancement in Picture window pro.
Captured handheld (lens mounted on bellows), so not really sharp.. plus, was not expecting much from 100yrs old lens.
(If some one has any details about this camera/lens, let me know... Google is not of much help)
(Clicking on the picture will take you to bigger/original version)

Dreamer

Others:

I got one Brownie No 2 lens too, try to capture with that on weekend..

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like to see a picture that is not macro, like a normal landscape, is it possible, or does the register distance force you to use the lens for details only?
What I see so far shows a good bokeh but the DOF is so narrow close up that there is very little that is in focus.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio.. I will post some landscape and portrait.. yes.. it does focus to infinity...
Columbus has one of the worst weather system.. one sunny day.. a cloudy/rainy week.. will take this lens to outdoors on weekend...

Plus with bellow, its really difficult to focus.. The focussing can be done by bellows movement... movement lever and camera capture button is on the same side..
Plus the split prism is not workable... (all dark)...

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this of any help!

http://www.fiberq.com/cam/seneca.htm

googling is a real art or a matter of luck LOL.

Guido

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Guido.. Never been to this site...
But unfortunately, this didnt help.. all Seneco models (shown) are Large format (8x10).. This one (posted pictures) more more like folding box camera...
There is another one on eBay going for $15...
Click here to see on Ebay
Thanks again for link.. bookmarked...

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is interesting play but I guess before WW2 lenses are wasn't good as after the war except some. I like lenses between 50th and 70th-s I didn't see any evidence these lenses are usable. From this series I like the second one.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio, I tried the lens for long distances, seems like horrible sharpness. Still give it a try on weekend. I think, if be little creative.. some dreamy shots can be captured (dreamy near subject.. great bokeh for far).

Yes.. the lens are more like current high school physics experiment toys. Single piece with concave-convex pasted together.. I think triplets.
And most weired thing is, aperture is on the outer side and open... when I saw the mechanism first time, I thought.. got the broken lens...
But fun to play with. esp, most of these lenses go till f128.
This one captured at f128.. Can see the diffraction patterns taking over every other characteristics of this pic. Direct converted from original to monochrome.. and very little sharpness after conversion,
Silhouette

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ballu wrote:
Orio, I tried the lens for long distances, seems like horrible sharpness. Still give it a try on weekend. I think, if be little creative.. some dreamy shots can be captured (dreamy near subject.. great bokeh for far).

Yes.. the lens are more like current high school physics experiment toys. Single piece with concave-convex pasted together.. I think triplets.
And most weired thing is, aperture is on the outer side and open... when I saw the mechanism first time, I thought.. got the broken lens...

There is nothing much wrong with the sharpness, but you must have the lens absolutely straight, i.e. parallel with the sensor. The lens is probably an achromatic meniscus and really works better with the aperture in the front - this way the lens flare, the internal reflections and the residual aberrations are greatly attenuated when the lens is stopped down, especially at the original frame size. However, I suggest that you only use it wide open in order to get distinctly different photos - I stripped the aperture mechanism totally off from my meniscus. Just forget sharpness with this lens, you have other lenses for sharp pictures, this lens gives you new, different possibilities.

Veijo

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well spoken, Veijo!

I like your results, Ballu. Those lenses are a toy to play with and a glass to get a characteristic image, one that cannot be produce by any other lens.
Just play with it and enjoy it!

Carsten

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great picture Ballu!

"Is that the moon I see? Can't be, looks like the sun to me." Ricky Nelson, It's Late (#3 April 1959) Smile

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2023 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just came across this (2007) set of posts, having been away from the forum for some long time. The original says that he thinks the lens is 100mm or so. Looking at the results I think it is more likely to a 50mm or, at best, 75mm. The reason for the prevalence of macro-like pictures is that the entire lens cannot be brought close enough to the film plane. I find that such 'short' focal length folder lenses are only good for macro use because of this. Also, folding cameras in general seem to be predominantly 100 -105mm, with a few going as far as 135mm. I discovered this when converting them for DSLR use. Now I am back in the fold I will describe some of my efforts for everyone's benefit in due time.