Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Second developed roll: partial failure
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 6:37 pm    Post subject: Second developed roll: partial failure Reply with quote

The 6x6 was loaded correctly. But I had two problems:

1: Several blotches to ruin the photos. Yes I did tap strongly after every inversion. Could it have been perhaps the prewash? 4-5 blotches on the photos, and several more along the edges where the film edges touch the reel. Perhaps I have to reel in the film more?

2: The film has wrinkles like if it was squeezed. I tend to blame this on my idea of placing a second empty reel on top of the loaded one. I thought that without it, the loaded reel might slip out of the pole during inversions. I had to press quite a bit to fit the second reel inside on top of the expanded one that held the 120 film. Perhaps this pressure caused the wrinkles. Any idea if it's possible to put only one reel in the tank without risk?

Contrast with Rodinal and Agfapan seems lower than with Tmax film and developer. I'll have to print to see the real story though.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For #2 : I think it comes from the differences of temperature between the different baths, did you controlled it (or at lest, tried to have a constant temperature) ?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How did you wash the film, and what kind of water/wetting agent did you use for the last wash?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CarbonR wrote:
For #2 : I think it comes from the differences of temperature between the different baths, did you controlled it (or at lest, tried to have a constant temperature) ?

The baths were all made from the same water, which was around 20° C

Perhaps the rinsing water was different, because it's difficult to get constant temperature out of the tubes. Maybe next time I will have to prepare in advance the rinsing water also.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ludoo wrote:
How did you wash the film, and what kind of water/wetting agent did you use for the last wash?

directly from the tube, and the last wash was made instead with demineralized water with a little Tetenal wetting agent

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 9:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Second developed roll: partial failure Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
The 6x6 was loaded correctly. But I had two problems:
1: Several blotches to ruin the photos. Yes I did tap strongly after every inversion. Could it have been perhaps the prewash? 4-5 blotches on the photos, and several more along the edges where the film edges touch the reel. Perhaps I have to reel in the film more?

Orio - what were the blotches like? Undeveloped, or underdeveloped emulsion, or some other kind of mark? You mention the film was wrinkled - could the blotches have been where the film base was contacting the emulsion through distortion in the spiral? That might have kept the developer from accessing the emulsion, partly at least. Sometimes if the emulsion grips tightly in the spiral you can get a similar problem, especially if the film has managed to become corrugated in the loading.

What sort of tank and spiral do you use?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blotches look black in the centre with a halo
I used Kaiser tank and spiral.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is how one of the blotches looks like:

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing comes to my mind about the blotches right now. For what is concerning to put a 2nd reel on top of the first this is correct and must be done with 35mm when doing only one roll (for the reason you rightly thought). With the reel expanded to 120 size there is not enough room to do that (at least with my tank) but no reason either since the volume of chemicals is enough to ensure proper coverage even if the single reel should slip (this is not true with 135). So it's possible the film may have been somewhat squeezed.

Cheers, Marty.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Orio
I think you will have great success. The tones are lovely.
The blotches to me look like the roll was pinched and making contact with itself as it spiraled around. The blotch areas did not get enough developer.
I've seen the same in my rolls from time to time when use stainless spools and get a poor wind on in the darkroom.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy, I think you may be right.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Notwithstanding the blotch on your sample image - it's a BEAUTY! The tonalities are breathtaking.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Patterson tank I used (long ago) had a plastic clip that slid down to keep the spiral in place, there was no need to put another spiral on top.