Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Schneider Xenotar 150mm f/2.8 sold for US $38,988.00 on eBay
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:03 pm    Post subject: Schneider Xenotar 150mm f/2.8 sold for US $38,988.00 on eBay Reply with quote

Look what happened yesterday:

Click here to see on Ebay

That's a staggering amount of money. So what makes this lens so special? Apart from the excellent item photos and its big size (that's a standard Linhof lens board!) I don't see anything that makes me want to spend US$ 40K. What do you think?

(I now know what lens to look out for Wink)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2.8 is a damn fast aperture for a large format lens, usually they are from 5.6 on. From what I know is a pretty rare lens (and the 150/4 sells for over 3000USD anyway).

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, that seems to be it. But I cannot imagine myself being able to handle that lens, not even with white gloves. It might fall off the camera, it might get fingerprints on it... The glass might get scratched. And that would be a $40K disaster. Laughing

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And to think that I quail at the price of an f1.2 lens for my dslr. I must be a complete wimp!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still, that's an excessive amount of money. I've been on the lookout for a Kreuznach Xenotar 150/2.8 for several months, and they usually go for less than 1K. If in good condition, perhaps 1.5K.

In this case, I'm willing to bet that most money was spent on the "Linhof" signature on the lens (on top of its collector level state). Those must be ultra rare.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Average 150/2.8 Xenotars go for around 600-1000€ - mint, late and blessed by the gods of Linhof, that might roll up to 3000€. Ten times as much is beyond all reason - and a bid war by two "buyers" that each hat 40% of their activities with that particular seller is entirely incredible. Shill bidding, for no good or legal purpose, I guess...

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A G Photography wrote:
2.8 is a damn fast aperture for a large format lens, usually they are from 5.6 on. From what I know is a pretty rare lens (and the 150/4 sells for over 3000USD anyway).

...for comparison with modern macro lens Sigma af apo 150/2.8 which you can get for 730usd from amazon... was cheaper. Great lens with 1:1 magnification. Also used on portraiture for her sharpness on full aperture. I think that many of us know this glass.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was following his linhof planar 135/3.5 Click here to see on Ebay and was also astonished about the price it fetched (over $10000)

even photo-arsenal doesnt get their 'prototype versions' sold for a third of that price.

anyone like to buy mine for half that price? you'll get a free speed graflex attached Laughing

or am i also missing something here.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, the same bidders at work again...

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I 'sold' an old Roland VP-330+ vocoder (sn#000006) in NM cond for 5k. Afterwards, the buyer made a huge sob story how he put that number as his max bid but it wasn't his intention to actually pay that amount. In the end after heated (on my part) negotiation, he coughed 3500, which I only accepted because no other bidder was willing to pay that amount on a second chance and it was still nearly double what I expected to get for it to begin with.

After another I had 'sold' at a shocking price, the buyer asked if he could take it and make monthly payments (and also claimed to misunderstand that the auction was in US dollars vs CDN which at the time were far apart). He vanished when I incredulously refused. He also had the nerve to leave me a neutral feedback for refusing. Luckily in that case, the secondary bidder honored his last bid when offered.

Point is, a lot of these ridiculous prices are the work of an idiot and may not reflect actual sales. More power to the seller if he actually got paid, but I would be confident that behind the scenes, something is afoot.

K.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spleenone wrote:
A G Photography wrote:

...for comparison with modern macro lens Sigma af apo 150/2.8 which you can get for 730usd from amazon... was cheaper. Great lens with 1:1 magnification. Also used on portraiture for her sharpness on full aperture. I think that many of us know this glass.

The Sigma doesnt cover the 4x5' format. On this format, 150/2.8 is equivalent to a 50/0,93 lens on 24x36 format, so when we see the price of a Leica 50/0,95...

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CarbonR wrote:

The Sigma doesnt cover the 4x5' format. On this format, 150/2.8 is equivalent to a 50/0,93 lens on 24x36 format, so when we see the price of a Leica 50/0,95...

Well, it is proportional to a 41/2.8 by geometry - the f/0.93 equivalent is DOF only. Such a big lens is somewhat of a feat nonetheless, and while not rare, fast LF lenses already were extinct by the seventies, when press and other action photography had quit using large format. The Xenotar arguably is the only fairly modern one among them, but it is not worth $40.000.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've done wrong calculation it is rather an equivalent of a 43/0.8 lens (as 150mm is the diagonal of a 9x12 sheet, and the diagonal of 24x36 is 43mm and not 50mm), but yes, brightness remains f/2.8, that's the equivalent dof which is a f/0.8 Wink

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sevo wrote:
CarbonR wrote:

Well, it is proportional to a 41/2.8 by geometry - the f/0.93 equivalent is DOF only. Such a big lens is somewhat of a feat nonetheless, and while not rare, fast LF lenses already were extinct by the seventies, when press and other action photography had quit using large format. The Xenotar arguably is the only fairly modern one among them, but it is not worth $40.000.

Shocked My inattention. Bigger formats (mean larger than FX) are really magnificent. In sense of DOF and calculation of focal distance. Trying medium format and it looks huge for me. Expensive, too. =)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The two bidders seem to be one-uping each other. I want to follow them on evilbay for further drama! Laughing

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ever thought about money laudering??

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Money laundering? Surely the authorities track transactions like that? I can't receive any money via paypay because of the money laundering rules and I have to fill in a form for the central bank for every cheque I get from overseas, even though most of them are only for $200 (but there are quite a lot of them, which just adds to the inconvenience). Still. I wouldn't be surprised if the rules that damn near persecute me do absolutely nothing to prevent bad guys shifting thousands, using the very instruments I am locked out of.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No comment ... one guy has no food another one have 40K for a lens, nice world.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, Attila, we're all privileged here you know. The $500 or $1,000 you or I might spend on a lens is more than a year's income to people in some parts of the world. Our price scale is no more or less beyond imagining for them than the price on this lens.

Besides, you wouldn't be complaining if you sold one for that Laughing

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulC wrote:
Hey, Attila, we're all privileged here you know. The $500 or $1,000 you or I might spend on a lens is more than a year's income to people in some parts of the world. Our price scale is no more or less beyond imagining for them than the price on this lens.

Besides, you wouldn't be complaining if you sold one for that Laughing

Don't compare with a 40k lens an 500 - 1000 USD spend also not compare with different part of worlds a basic EU income what is not enough for every day life pure luxury in Africa I know well. I did talk about our world , so many poor people here too and this kind of luxury just not right even in America.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

suspected from lensy illness

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, that price! Just want to say there is still another guy willing to pay this price for the lens.....Very Happy
Guys, keep digging Very Happy

Agree with Attila, the world is not fair but we have to live with it......

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spleenone wrote:
A G Photography wrote:

That is an unequal comparison. The Sigma is covering a much smaller image circle.