Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Schneider-Kreuznach Componon-S f5.6 100mm
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 11:00 pm    Post subject: Schneider-Kreuznach Componon-S f5.6 100mm Reply with quote

List price on Schneider site: 1,022 dollars.

Secondhand orice on ebay: 4ukp.

M39 enlarger/macro lens with M39 LTM, optically perfect, looks like it has had little use.

Only has 5 aperture blades so bokeh may not be the best.

Removed the M39 ring from a broken Zenit 3M, expoxied it to an M42 extension tube and mounted on EOS 10D with M42-EOS adapter.

Focussing is a bit tricky but this lens is sharp as a razor from corner to corner and has excellent contrast. Flares a lot so I need to make a hood for it, I don't think it has any coatings.

For the price I paid I adore this lens. Will need some practice to learn to focus it accurately in it's crude mount but it is obviously capable of some excellent IQ in the right hands.

One thing I notice, this lens absolutely crushes perspective. All these were taken at f/13:

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems to have handled well the white flowers and tree branches against the sky. How do you see this lens differentiating itself positively from the usual 100mm lenses?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

woodrim wrote:
Seems to have handled well the white flowers and tree branches against the sky. How do you see this lens differentiating itself positively from the usual 100mm lenses?

Never owned a 100mm lens so can't say.

My impressions so far:

It handles perspective rather differently to most lenses I've used before, it flattens it out far more than one would expect from a lens of this focal length, probably because it is a plasmat type.

It has even sharpness from corner to corner at f13

It has no rectilinear distortion, not surprising as it's an enlarger lens designed to project a flat image.

I'm really impressed with it's resolving power, it's a step up in this regard from most of the lenses I own, in fact, I'd say it's a steup up from my best lenses like the Jupiter-11A which has good resolving power in it's own right.

Some improvement in focussing skills is going to be needed to get the most out of this lens as it's not as easy to use as a lens designed for a camera due to the crude mounting.

It is very sensitive to flare so I need to add a hood and avoid situations where it will flare.

It has a large image circle so I might make a tilt/shift mounting and try it for that.

The main way this lens differentiates from other lenses of similar IQ and resolving power is in cost. This lens costs a thousand bucks to buy and I shudder to think how much a really nice Schneider or Zeiss 100mm lens in M42 would cost. I couldn't even get a cheap Japanese 135mm for the price I paid for this Componon so I can live with the ease of use issues, just need to practice with it before I can really exploit it's IQ I think.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use that since years for my work but I'm sorry to say that you must have a pretty bad copy,
as mine is razor sharp, with very high contrast and quite some 3D capability. I always
recommend that one if someone tries to experiment with enlarger lenses.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kds315* wrote:
I use that since years for my work but I'm sorry to say that you must have a pretty bad copy,
as mine is razor sharp, with very high contrast and quite some 3D capability. I always
recommend that one if someone tries to experiment with enlarger lenses.

Guten tag Klaus

I have some other enlarger lenses I can try including a nice Rodagon 80mm.

Possibly isn't a bad copy, probably my lack of skill in using it, only being a beginner.

Any lack of sharpness is more likely to be misfocus imho, I still need to work out some kind of focusing scale for it.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pues por aqui este objetivo se consigue por el 10 o 20% de ese valor. Si a alguien le interesa me pongo a buscar.

Well, here, this objective is achieved by 10% or 20% of that value. If anyone is interested I look for
Greetings.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

francotirador wrote:
Pues por aqui este objetivo se consigue por el 10 o 20% de ese valor. Si a alguien le interesa me pongo a buscar.

Well, here, this objective is achieved by 10% or 20% of that value. If anyone is interested I look for
Greetings.

Hola franco

Yo no hablo Espanol, sorry.

I don't understand your question, are you saying that this lens is available where you live for 10 to 20% of it's 1000 dollar list price?

I have read many reports including several by members of this forum that rate this lens very highly, Klaus is a good example. This lens is found on ebay quite often for less than 20 dollars.

Let's see if Google will turn that into Spanish with any accuracy:

No entiendo tu pregunta, ¿está usted diciendo que este objetivo está disponible donde usted vive de 10 a 20% de su precio de lista de 1.000 dólares?

He leído muchos informes entre ellos varios de los miembros de este foro que la tasa de este objetivo muy alto, Klaus es un buen ejemplo. Este objetivo se encuentra en ebay muy a menudo por menos de 20 dólares.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just an example what that lens is capable to do - no complaints from my side.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent macro work Claus. I purchased this lens because it's a plasmat design an therefore ideal for macro work, but you know that...

When you lookat my test images, which do you think is the case:

it's a bad copy of this lens

or I didn't get the focus quite right?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
francotirador wrote:

Greetings.

Hola franco

Yo no hablo Espanol, sorry.

I don't understand your question, are you saying that this lens is available where you live for 10 to 20% of it's 1000 dollar list price?

I have read many reports including several by members of this forum that rate this lens very highly, Klaus is a good example. This lens is found on ebay quite often for less than 20 dollars.

Let's see if Google will turn that into Spanish with any accuracy:

No entiendo tu pregunta, ¿está usted diciendo que este objetivo está disponible donde usted vive de 10 a 20% de su precio de lista de 1.000 dólares?

He leído muchos informes entre ellos varios de los miembros de este foro que la tasa de este objetivo muy alto, Klaus es un buen ejemplo. Este objetivo se encuentra en ebay muy a menudo por menos de 20 dólares.

I do not sell anything, just comment here is achieved for 30 to 100 U $ S used. When I read that the price was U $ S 1000 .- I thought it might interest someone.
As you say, on Ebay is cheaper. So no one will buy here.
Greetings

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thankyou Franco.

I did not think you were selling, I thought that you said they were available for 10-20% of the original cost.

I think if you need a macro lens then buying one at those prices would be good, I'm not sure how well it performs for non-macro use yet as I'm having troubles using mine to get the best IQ from it. I think a more experienced photographer could get some great results from this lens.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back to using the lens -- I have a suggestion. Non-camera lenses are generally not designed to shoot into light, and may lack coatings. When using enlarger, projector, copy, print, and similar lenses outside studio conditions, a hood may be necessary. Some of the above photos show much flare, which would be prevented with a hood. A basic hood can be easily improvised, even from a bit of black PVC pipe or black paper.

Mounting the lens: I use many non-focusing enlarger and other non-camera lenses, or lenses scavenged from MF folders or polaroids, with 110mm or 140mm bellows on my Pentax K20D. I find that lenses with focal lengths greater than 80mm will reach infinity focus and can so be used for general non-macro photography. And I just bought a few Ilex iris assemblies, so now I can add apertures to my copy, print, and projector lenses.

A bellows and a handful of 90-105-125-140-162mm lenses are much more interesting than a stodgy zoom!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

klaus is the Word on these lenses. Used for macro on a bellows or focusing helicoid the results can be staggering. Enlarging lenses from 50 - 150mm by el nikkor, schneider or rodenstock will give results that equal the best of the macro lenses for a fraction of the cost.

patrickh

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RioRico wrote:
...A bellows and a handful of 90-105-125-140-162mm lenses are much more interesting than a stodgy zoom!

+1

JJ

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tips. The time of day also played a factor, it was late afternoon so the sun was low in the sky and that emphasised the glare issued.

Weather has been freezing cold here last two days, when it improves I'll get out in a morning with a hood fitted and take some more shots.

I need to make a hood, there's no thread for one on the lens, some cardbord and sticky tape will do I suppose.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had my copy of this lens in the garden. The blueberries were blooming and the wild honeybees were working the flowers and the huntsman was working the honeybees; ). [/b]

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2024 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I received a copy today. Mine had a small lens screwed into the back of it, something the OP seems not to have had. With that in place, I found 160mm of extension from the adapter gave a FOV 35mm wide on my A7r3, 1:1. 210mm gave a FOV 24mm wide. Working distances from the front of the lens (hand-held tape measure!) were 170mm and 140mm, respectively.

By removing the rear lens unit, the extension was approximately correct for infinity focus, at which the resolution looked disappointing. The flare was as bad as I have seen on any of my lenses, even on a dull day.

My use will probably be for macro to low magnification close-ups.

The smaller lens unit has a cap, used to support it in the fourth image.

The images are a little brighter than the black lens.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2024 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry - I don't get it ...

Didn't you simply remove (unscrew) the rear half of the Componon? Of course with the front half alone you would get inferior image quality (though the rear half of the Schneider f5.6 Symmar - lens which has nearly the same lens section as the Componon - could be used separately; see here: https://www.pacificrimcamera.com/rl/00832/00832.pdf).

Or did I miss anything?

S

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2024 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevemark wrote:
Sorry - I don't get it ...

Didn't you simply remove (unscrew) the rear half of the Componon? Of course with the front half alone you would get inferior image quality (though the rear half of the Schneider f5.6 Symmar - lens which has nearly the same lens section as the Componon - could be used separately; see here: https://www.pacificrimcamera.com/rl/00832/00832.pdf).

Or did I miss anything?

S

I don't know. I'm only exploring it. Some lenses have a macro attachment. It unscrewed very readily, as though it was supposed to. I will see what it does without that removed another day. In the meantime I have shot some images which I am now processing.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2024 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This thread is really confusing to me. Not just the whole "the lens only achieves infinity correctly with half of it gone" part in the recent messages, but the OP also describes the lens as "razor sharp corner to corner," but the sharpness in a lot of his shots, especially the ones close to infinity, looks like warmed over dog doo doo. I know the post is 13 years old, and processing for the forum might have degraded them somewhat, but the last couple of landscape shots look exceptionally bad.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2024 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BrianSVP wrote:
This thread is really confusing to me. Not just the whole "the lens only achieves infinity correctly with half of it gone" part in the recent messages, but the OP also describes the lens as "razor sharp corner to corner," but the sharpness in a lot of his shots, especially the ones close to infinity, looks like warmed over dog doo doo. I know the post is 13 years old, and processing for the forum might have degraded them somewhat, but the last couple of landscape shots look exceptionally bad.

I have suggested that the rear lens unit which came with mine was missing from the OP's lens, which would explain why his images are much like my experience with that part removed. Anyway, I didn't buy the lens to shoot landscapes but I am exploring (having received it only a few hours ago) what it might do for lower magnifications than the high ones I am starting with. At the moment, I don't have the time to try the different extensions which are required so I can only infer what that might be. In the coming days I will vary the extensions and shoot images.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2024 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is an image with field of view 12mm wide. shot at f11 on m4/3. These slime moulds do not form neat rows so we are only interested in the best bits this time. Normal processing for this magnification. The images is cropped vertically only.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2024 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BrianSVP wrote:
This thread is really confusing to me. Not just the whole "the lens only achieves infinity correctly with half of it gone" part in the recent messages, but the OP also describes the lens as "razor sharp corner to corner," but the sharpness in a lot of his shots, especially the ones close to infinity, looks like warmed over dog doo doo.

We all know about Ian's strange relationship with truth and reality ... but otherwise he always was a polite, amiable and kind guy Wink

e6filmuser wrote:

I have suggested that the rear lens unit which came with mine was missing from the OP's lens, which would explain why his images are much like my experience with that part removed.

Ah, now I understand! thank you for this clarification!

S

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2024 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a crosseye stereo pair, incorporating the above image and another taken for this purpose.

That neither of the single frames has the focus I would like, the stereo is all the better for that.

Last edited by e6filmuser on Thu Mar 14, 2024 5:43 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2024 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

e6filmuser wrote:
Here is a crosseye stereo pair, incorporating the above image and another taken for this purpose.

That neither of the singal frames has the focus I would like, the stereo is all the better for that.

WOW, excellent work - I automatically see this well as I have done quite a bit 3D myself... Like 1 Like 1 Like 1