Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Schneider-Kreuznach Componon-S f5.6 100mm
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2024 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. I do pairs in almost every shoot, going back through my film days. At this magnification I would mostly prefer my Laowa 25mm x2.5 to x5 to get the DOF because slime moulds are usually even less in the same plane than these are.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2024 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first close-up rather than macro. These are mini oranges, as available in supermarkets.

Using the EM-1 m4/3, I set the extension at about 62mm and the lens at f11, ISO 800 (only small flash to hand). I then stood on a chair for this subject which was a table top height, so distance maybe 1m. At ca 20cm wide, this FOV is half that it would be for the A7r3. This is just a range-finder for further experimentation. I did not remove the rear lens assembly.

My normal processing from RAW.

Last edited by e6filmuser on Wed Mar 13, 2024 2:04 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2024 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I decided to see what it might do at distance. I used just the helicoid extension and 50mm seemed about right. This was also on the EM-1 and the aperture was f8 and ISO 800, which gave a speed of 1/200. This is just a view from our front door.

I would be happy to use this lens if it was the only one I had with me.

The light was rather poor but, surprisingly, I didn't get any of the copious flare I got yesterday in similar light, and I still didn't have a hood on it.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2024 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's been 3 years and no comment about how well camouflaged the huntsman spider is! I was skimming through and thought at first I had inadvertantly posted a flawed blurry photo.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2024 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jamaeolus wrote:
It's been 3 years and no comment about how well camouflaged the huntsman spider is! I was skimming through and thought at first I had inadvertantly posted a flawed blurry photo.

it seems to have disguised itself as a crab spider!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2024 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My lens, with the only extension from the adapter being my 35-90mm helicoid, has a range from about 1:4 to infinity, much the same as those zoom "macro" lenses in the good old days!

Adding a further 50mm of extension to the 210mm one tested gives FOV ca 9mm wide, ca 4:1 on m4/3, FOV 18mm 2:1 on FF.

I now know its potential.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2024 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jamaeolus wrote:

I've only discoverd the thread yesterday... but I'm not sure I would have noticed! Excellent catch.

Some of those spiders have excellent camouflage, that's for sure...

Spiding in plain sight by simple.joy, on Flickr

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2024 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

e6filmuser wrote:
My first close-up rather than macro. These are mini oranges, as available in supermarkets.

Using the EM-1 m4/3, I set the extension at about 62mm and the lens at f11, ISO 800 (only small flash to hand). I then stood on a chair for this subject which was a table top height, so distance maybe 1m. At ca 20cm wide, this FOV is half that it would be for the A7r3. This is just a range-finder for further experimentation. I did not remove the rear lens assembly.

My normal processing from RAW.

Mandarins -- I can smell them, so must be good lens & photo!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2024 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have provided some extension for use with this lens. I am using M42 via an adapter. I have several tubes plus two helicoids, giving a minimum extension of 240mm and maximum 350mm. These give, on m4/3, FOVs 10mm and 6mm wide. Removal of some of the extension in stages will give increasingly wider fields of view to a maximum at 50mm, where infinity focus is obtained.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2024 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:

It handles perspective rather differently to most lenses I've used before, it flattens it out far more than one would expect from a lens of this focal length, probably because it is a plasmat type.

Having been aware of this, I took some macro shots, at 6mm FOV wide, and at f11.

These are fruiting bodies of a common slime mould Arcyria denudata. They are not yet at the stage where the network of threads is very fine.

I have never seen such a shallow DOF in lenses I have used for these subjects. It is quite unsuitable. However, this could be useful at moderate magnifications. It has not remotely challenged my Laowa 25mm x2.5 to x5, whose perspective I prefer for this kind of subject.

The images had some faint haze in the centre, largely dealt with by adjusting contrast. This did not come directly from the bright sun or the twin flash.