Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Sankyo Koki Komura f=80mm 1:1.8 product photos
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 8:08 pm    Post subject: Sankyo Koki Komura f=80mm 1:1.8 product photos Reply with quote

Let me start with the following statement: for a collector me it's VERY HARD to resist a lens that comes in such a pristine shape, it looks like it just left the factory... Quality like that is not common nowadays; I would not compare a Canon L lens with the fine workmanship of the Komura.

I hope you like my product shots.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a burlesque/strip show Wink You really know how to get a guy going...

Beautiful shooting of a beauty.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Imagine what would happen if I used these photos for an eBay auction... The end price would hit the roof. Cool

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spotmatic wrote:
Imagine what would happen if I used these photos for an eBay auction... The end price would hit the roof. Cool

exactly

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So you collet 85mm lenses?? A very nice find though and well made shots.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kds315* wrote:
So you collet 85mm lenses?? A very nice find though and well made shots.

Thanks, and yes, I'm getting more and more fast 'portrait' teles. Don't know why, but this just grew on me. I seem to like the focal length...

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I know about "lens addiction" quite well... Wink Wink

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very effective product pictures and a very lovely lens. I really like Komuras, and that one is particularly nice.

I am green with envy !

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice example, Spotmatic. I also like your wideopen childs portraits taken with them.

The 80/1.8 is quite a rare lens, yours is the first "all black" I've seen so far, most are zebra style. The hood seems to be particulary rare.
With all your boxes and stuff, was there a paper including the tech specs or lens diagram?

SNs seems to be in a small range from what I've noticed.
4550123 Nikon RF
4550186 Nikon RF
4550207 Nikon RF
3550238 Nikon RF
3550096 M42

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice pictures - and lenses! - Frank! Thanks for posting them.

taunusreiter wrote:

Very nice example, Spotmatic. I also like your wideopen childs portraits taken with them.

Thanks, I like them also.

Quote:

The 80/1.8 is quite a rare lens, yours is the first "all black" I've seen so far, most are zebra style. The hood seems to be particulary rare.

Given the fact that the lens case is designed to contain the lens with the hood, could it be possible that it was originally sold with the hood?

Quote:

With all your boxes and stuff, was there a paper including the tech specs or lens diagram?

Unfortunately, no. No papers of any kind were included.

Quote:

SNs seems to be in a small range from what I've noticed.
4550123 Nikon RF
4550186 Nikon RF
4550207 Nikon RF
3550238 Nikon RF
3550096 M42

My M42 copy has s/n 3550275. So the batches seem to be quite small.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My lens case is smaller than yours pictured, and included the finder in a separate compartment. So except if the hood can be stored vice versa, it may be not delivered with the RF lenses.

Neblette published a lens diagram of the 80/1.8, so he must have had sources. I'm still not sure why Sankyo Kohki ceased production of this lens so soon (or why it wasn't mentioned in the 1964 catalog) when they even made the step altering the mount from RF (Nikon and Leica) to SLR/M42. After all, M42 lenses are a lot easier to build than RF where precision in the coupling mechanism is needed, and if you miss it, every customer will return the lens or claim your lens to be a dog. Maybe the best assumption is they ceased it for sake of selling the newly launched 85/1.4 - different to the 105mm lens class which they run in a multitude of speeds.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh my! Such a beautiful lens!!! I love it! Shocked

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

taunusreiter wrote:
Maybe the best assumption is they ceased it for sake of selling the newly launched 85/1.4 - different to the 105mm lens class which they run in a multitude of speeds.

That's a very good explanation. All in all there shouldn't be more than a few hundreds of the 80/1.8 produced. The M42 version being more rare (the M42 version is completely different: pre-set, black focusing ring, finer knurls, focusing in opposite direction. Only the optical design should be the same).

One question though: is the original Ernostar design also soft wide open?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

darosk wrote:
Oh my! Such a beautiful lens!!! I love it! Shocked

It's a work of art! Cool

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spotmatic wrote:
One question though: is the original Ernostar design also soft wide open?

It's a 1920's design Wink
I'm sure Erich Salomon was happy to get sharp pictures at all in the dark conference rooms hand held with the maximum 25 ASA speed films. If they were too soft, he easily compensates it using hard gradation paper in the lab.

Different to the great amount of later Ernostar type designs of the 60's and 70's (even the 100/1.8 Komura made themself) the 80/1.8 isn't optimized for short size. It's a lot longer than the Sonnar-type Nikkor 85/2 (in the background of my photo). This counts as an argument that's a truly "oldfashioned" Ernostar...

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice product shot and the lens itself. Shocked Shocked