Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Samyang 85/1.4 compared to the Helios 40
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 2:15 pm    Post subject: Samyang 85/1.4 compared to the Helios 40 Reply with quote

That s what you do when at home ill and bored. Smile

Raw, converted to jpeg via nx2, no additional sharpening, level 2 in camera, auto wb, handheld, wide open of course. I tried to crop the same way.

Easy to tell which is which, i think, first is the Samyang. Two very different lenses, of course. I am surprised a bit, that the Samyang has a "smoother" bokeh. Laughing

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the comparison! Now let's see if the Samyang indeed does not sharpen up after stopping down...

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 3:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Samyang 85/1.4 compared to the Helios 40 Reply with quote

tomasg wrote:
I am surprised a bit, that the Samyang has a "smoother" bokeh.

Why is that surprising; the Samyang is famous for its smooth bokeh, the Helios is famous for its non-smooth bokeh. ;D

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Thanks for the comparison! Now let's see if the Samyang indeed does not sharpen up after stopping down...

i ll take pictures tomorrow...

Quote:
Why is that surprising; the Samyang is famous for its smooth bokeh, the Helios is famous for its non-smooth bokeh. ;D

i know, i know, i put the smile at the end of my sentence... Smile

Tomas

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Helios is very soft compared to the Samyang.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

martinsmith99 wrote:
The Helios is very soft compared to the Samyang.

At f/1.5
But I bet that at f/8 it's a different story...

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok, here are both, as yesterday first the Sammy then the helios, different lightning, setting as yesterday, except for wb set to direct sunlight, i adjusted the exposure on some, to adjust for brightness, from wide open to f8 in full stops:

now just don t ask me to compare them to the Vivitar made 85/1.8 i have Rolling Eyes Very Happy
due to resizing the differences are not that big, but in NX2 the Helios is a bit sharper, i think, if you want i can put them on my PBase gallery, there they don t get resized

Tomas

Last edited by tomasg on Thu Oct 13, 2011 4:35 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the originals, same order as here, click on the first one then just click next, the Sammy ones are with the letter f followed by the fstop, the Helios ones are with the hf letters in the file name, followed by the fstop number.

http://www.pbase.com/tomasg_71/sam_hel

Tomas

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excuse me to join the duel ... Smile

Two faces of bokeh Smile .... most people will choose the left one ... I choose both! Smile

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

np nixland, as you, i am going to keep both Smile

Tomas

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like I said, a different story Smile I don't have the Samyang, but I have the Helios it's a long time, and
I know well what it can give at f/5.6 or f/8... Wink

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nixland wrote:

Two faces of bokeh Smile .... most people will choose the left one ... I choose both! Smile

I just love the way Helios paint that bokeh Very Happy

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it is....

...special

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting indeed - thanks for your efforts!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just goes to show anyone who judges bokeh from a single shot is crazy Smile

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just wanna share the minimum focus distance of each lens and their sharpness at that MFD.

Top: Samyang, Bottom: Helios 40-2

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Interesting indeed - thanks for your efforts!

glad you find them intresting, it s the first time i do this type of comparison, not really my thing, as i said in the first post, if i wouldn t be at home ill i would never find the time to do it and this are just pictures out of my bedroom window Smile

Tomas

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nixland wrote:

+1 from me. Horses for courses. What suits one subject/setting may not suit another. Isn't this why we all have a drawer full of 50mm lenses - for different bokeh?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree : keep both.

Helios-40 has a minimum focusing distance of 0,70m when Samyang has 1,00m.

Nice efforts. Very Happy

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks so much for posting these comparisons. I've been going through a real dilemma of whether to save up for the 40-2 for awhile or get the Samyang now. This convinced me to go for the Samyang for the time being as useful as it's going to be, and get the 40-2 a ways down the road to go with.

Here's hoping it doesn't keep going up in price like crazy. That Helios bokeh is just out of this world gorgeous. I can hardly believe that nearly all the advancements that have been made in lenses in the past 50 years have been wasted on AF and zooms.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Abe and welcome ! Smile

What camera body do you have ?
I ask because I had a dilemna to buy my Samyang 1.4/85 : did I take it in Pentax K mount and mount it on my Canon Eos with an AF chip adapter P/k to Eos, or take it directly in Eos mount and glue an AF chip on it.
I finally chose the Eos mount and glued a chip.
Here is the topic :
http://forum.mflenses.com/samyang-85mm-focusing-question-t19774,highlight,%2Bsamyang+%2B85mm.html

I'm very happy with this solution. Focusing is ok on my 40D and 5DMkII.

Hope this helps. Smile

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Merci, Olivier, pour la bienvenue, pour l'information, et pour la question.

I actually have a 600D. Besides lens testing and rare portraits, I'm only really going to be using the cam for video, so that coupled with some absolutely breathtaking bokeh images from a Helios 40-2 on Flickr told me this place seemed entirely up my alley. I have no desire to waste money on AF lenses with crappy focusing rings when I won't' be using AF anyway!

Anyway, I saw the thread on glueing the chip, and while it seems like a possibility, I didn't read there what's wrong with just buying say, a Nikon mount, and getting an AF confirm adapter for EOS. I've heard hints somewhere that image quality would suffer, but I don't understand why. Will it make the flange distance off or something? Do you lose infinity focus? Because if not, it seems like that would be much easier and smoother, as neither my patience nor my fine motor skills are strong. I have this terrible feeling I'd get lazy and frustrated and screw it up. Additionally, I don't need AF confirm that badly, since the only thing it will do for my in movie mode is get rid of a tedious warning that asks me if I'm sure I have a lens on the camera.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

abe in space wrote:
Thanks, Olivier, for the welcome, the info, and the question.

I actually have a 600D. Besides lens testing and rare portraits, I'm only really going to be using the cam for video, so that coupled with some absolutely breathtaking bokeh images from a Helios 40-2 on Flickr told me this place seemed entirely up my alley. I have no desire to waste money on AF lenses with crappy focusing rings when I won't' be using AF anyway!

Anyway, do you mind if I ask why you went with glueing the chip rather than buying the Nikon version along with a Nikon-to-Canon AF confirm adapter? I've heard hints somewhere that image quality would suffer, but I don't understand why. Will it make the flange distance off or something? Do you lose infinity focus? Because if not, it seems like that would be much easier and smoother, as neither my patience nor my fine motor skills are strong. I have this terrible feeling I'd get lazy and frustrated and screw it up. Additionally, I don't need AF confirm that badly, since the only thing it will do for my in movie mode is get rid of a tedious warning that asks me if I'm sure I have a lens on the camera.

I glued it because I was afraid of losing infinity if I bought an AF confirm chip Nikon to eos adapter.
If you don't need the af confirm, it's ok with the eos mount.

Beware something :
If you use it for video, the focusing ring of the samyang is stiff. The Helios-40 focusing ring is very smooth.
Then Samyang min focus distance is 1,00m, Helios-40 0,70m.
Filter diameter : Samyang 72mm, Helios-40 67mm.
but... Samyang weight 565 grs, Helios-40 916 grs

Cheers. Smile

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again. Stiff in the sense that it's jerky, or stiff in the sense that it's just tougher to move? The former wouldn't be ideal; the latter might turn out well.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

abe in space wrote:
Thanks again. Stiff in the sense that it's jerky, or stiff in the sense that it's just tougher to move? The former wouldn't be ideal; the latter might turn out well.

Just tougher to move.
It should work well : http://vimeo.com/23910686

Just another thing about the Helios-40 : stepless aperture ring.
http://vimeo.com/25727930
http://vimeo.com/25971004