Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Samyang 35/1.4
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look where they put the serial number:

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tomasg wrote:

So they've got serial numbers now? The fisheye didn't had any.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm assuming that last photo was wide open? It really gives a good indication of the depth of field with that lens. Remarkable its so shallow with a 35mm. I want . . I want . . I want . . . .

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tomasg wrote:
By no means it s a perfect lens or the best 35 mm lens out there. More expensive lenses are probably better, in a "refined" way, difficult to expain exactly, here i mean Leica, Zeiss lenses and also the Canon and Nikkor ones to a less degree i think. What i absolutly like is the price/quality (at least optical) ratio. Altough i could afford one of them, i just feel they are too expensive for me, as a photographer, after all i am not a pro and this is "just" a hobby for me. I think that the Samyang gives me almost 99% of what the more expensive ones, but i learned many yeras ago, when i was an audiophil, that you have to pay dearly for that 1%.

Tomas

I have found exactly the same thing! that's why the Samyang 35 1.4 will most likely be my next purchase. -- all of the better options are simply out of the question financially. That, and as you have shown through your samples -- this lens is a fine performer. Very, very nice samples.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I'm assuming that last photo was wide open? It really gives a good indication of the depth of field with that lens. Remarkable its so shallow with a 35mm. I want . . I want . . I want . . . .

Yes Michael, the pic of the boys hands was taken wide open and fairly close. The shallow depth and moderatly wide is really nice and opens a lot of potential creativity.

Quote:
I have found exactly the same thing! that's why the Samyang 35 1.4 will most likely be my next purchase. -- all of the better options are simply out of the question financially. That, and as you have shown through your samples -- this lens is a fine performer. Very, very nice samples.

Thanx gearNcogs!

That s a 100% crop, sharpened to my taste (so not too much). Click on it.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Resolution comparison tool :

Comparison between Canon 1.4/35 and Samyang 1.4/35
http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/ISO-12233-Sample-Crops.aspx?Lens=687&Camera=453&Sample=0&FLI=1&API=0&LensComp=404&CameraComp=0&FLIComp=0&APIComp=0

Zeiss Distagon T* ZE 1.4/35 Vs Samyang 1.4/35
http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/ISO-12233-Sample-Crops.aspx?Lens=749&Camera=453&Sample=0&FLI=0&API=0&LensComp=771&CameraComp=453&SampleComp=0&FLIComp=0&APIComp=0

On these tests, the Samyang shows better resolution than its expensive colleagues..

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am still waitnig for a replacement for my lens, when i ll have that, i ll make some more sharpness "test" and i ll post the 100% crops. Olivier, i compared some other lenses, sometimes i think the results are a bit strange, for example i think the Sigma 20/1.8 is better than that.

Tomas

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laurentiu Cristofor wrote:
tomasg wrote:

So they've got serial numbers now? The fisheye didn't had any.

Neither the 85mm.

This 35/1.4 seems stunning. But so hudge for a 35mm !!! Crazyness.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Neither the 85mm.

My has a sticker with a serial number. The 35/1.4 is big, i still have a D50 and it looks oversized on that, i can t imagine what would be to use it with a mirrorless camera. Rolling Eyes

Tomas

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is how i used too see things on sunday morning, after a saturday night spent...you know Embarassed

Tomas

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tomasg wrote:
This is how i used too see things on sunday morning, after a saturday night spent...you know Embarassed
Tomas

Laughing Laughing Laughing
I know...
But would have never been able to take this great shot... Wink

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was at the Samyang dealer today, becouse my copy of the 35/1.4 have a "wobble" front element and there s some "extra" noise when turning the focus ring. It turns out that all the 35/1.4 that they have in stock, have the same wobbling fron element, we tried also different mounts. Strange but that looks to be normal. Anyway i exchanged my copy for another one, with a silent focusing ring.

Tomas

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

100% crop, center of the image and sharpened. Wide open.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wobble or no, Tomas, it seems pretty remarkable to me. Very god detail in your last couple of shots.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really enjoyed seeing your images. I would like to get this lens but being a poor pensioner that is not likely.

Your #3 in the first set prompted me to post this shot from last week in Cuba, using a Minolta 58/1.4.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooltouch wrote:
Wobble or no, Tomas, it seems pretty remarkable to me. Very god detail in your last couple of shots.

+1
Impressive

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Really enjoyed seeing your images. I would like to get this lens but being a poor pensioner that is not likely.

Your #3 in the first set prompted me to post this shot from last week in Cuba, using a Minolta 58/1.4.

thanx revers nice picture, just look at that white sand...

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Yes, it is a sharpened pic, but as we all know if difficult to sharpen a pic if there s no detail to start with. I am also surprised that in the last one, there s no "bleeding" from the white letters. Looks the wobble is normal, the guys at the dealer where surprised that nobody has told them about the wobbleness, yet. Hopefully i ll have some time in the weekend to take some "real" pictures.

Tomas

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok a few more and i promise to stop posting them Smile wide open, except the first one f2, #5 f2.8 and the last one f5.6, click on them for "full" size.

in #4 (wide open) if you look close you can tell the type of screws in the light switch, even at 1000 pixel site, nice.

Tomas

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It really looks like the Summilux-R 1.4/35, but at 1/4th the price.
Great buy!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the samples.
I have the opportunity to buy one for 300 euros like new (it was bought in April Rolling Eyes ) and i'm quite tempted.
I guess i have to pull the trigger Razz

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ilguercio wrote:
Thanks for the samples.
I have the opportunity to buy one for 300 euros like new (it was bought in April Rolling Eyes ) and i'm quite tempted.
I guess i have to pull the trigger Razz

Oh yes! You should! Since I've bought mine it's rarely come off from my 5D classic. I got an even better deal on mine (250€ Smile ) also brand-spanking new. I'm never ever, ever going to sell this lens. It's the beeest.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

250€ is a steal Very Happy
Mine is arriving in a few minutes, i know the guy delivers stuff at my place at about 14.45 Cool

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There we are, he's 3 minutes late, though.
Laughing

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First impressions:feels a bit more solid on the camera altough the 85 is more well balanced thanks to its tinier size.
The 35 has now a serial code and a branded cap that you can put on or off even with the hood on (the 85's cap is a standard one with no brand on it) .
The focus ring is smooth and the lens has a few cosmetic touches that show a bit more care into the production (note the red aluminum strip above the aperture ring) .
No click between 1.4 and 2 (that's a shame) but it is indeed quite good wide open, surely more corrected than the 85 in respect of aberrations.
Samples ahead, i hope i can take proper pictures soon.