Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Same subject, different cameras, films, development
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 10:52 pm    Post subject: Same subject, different cameras, films, development Reply with quote

There is a statue of an angel on a gravestone in the local churchyard that has become one of my favourite subjects for camera testing.

It occurred to me that it would be useful to compare the shots and gather some feedback on the technique of shooting this subject as it would also apply to portraiture which is something I have very little experience in.

First up is a colour shot on long expired cheap C-41 film with my Konica C35 with 38mm Hexanon lens:

Second is with a 1930s Voigtlander Bessa with Voigtar 3.5/105 lens, Fomapan 100 film in Fomadon LQR developer:

Third is with a 1957 Kiev-II and 1963 Jupiter-9 2/85 lens, EFKE 50 film in Paterson FX-39 developer:

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The most important parameter (so to say) with statues (and with static objects in general) is the time of the day.
So I would first experiment taking photos at different times of the day, so that you can compare the results with different light directions.
If available light is not of your satisfaction you can enhance it with an additional flash.

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks orio. The J9 and Bessa shots were at the same time actually.

I will try different times, these were all late in the day with the light coming strongly from the right.

As I remember, it was quite cloudy when I made the Konica shot, hence the softer lighting.

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dawn light can be wonderful, soft with a slight edging of pink.

patrickh

Evening tends to be more golden

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may like to try a yellow filter with the Efke 50 . It isn't very sensitive to red so don't bother with a red filter . A shot with and without filter should let you know if you like the enhanced contrast . But as Orio has mentioned . Light is the key .

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree about lighting and find morning slant light to be favorable to faces, in this case statues. In all three the angel's face looks soft on my monitor. Is the focus off or is the face truly that weathered? Seems there should be tons of detail to grab onto.

Also, with a film other than Efke, one which is more red-sensitive, a red filter would make the green areas very dark and thus give you a highly-contrasty result. Slant light and hard contrasts could create a mood of tempered desolation. Or it could fail in grand fashion.

I like the angle and light in the second the best. And, were I working on one of these shots to revise, I would begin with the second then try different angles. If you have a decent zoom, say 28-80, you could do some full-statue shots as well as busts and mugs that could all be successful.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tips.

She really is very weathered, she is 120+ years old after all. She is also quite covered in lichen.

Not an easy object to focus on as there are no fine details to focus on.

Here's a wider view of her, first with C35, second with J-12 2.8/35 on Kiev:

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A piece of white board can reflect light onto the statue...

Focusing tip: shine a laser-pointer dot where you want focus to be, focus camera on the bright dot...

Bring a milking stool so you can get lower...Wink

Another good time here and probably where you are is often after sunset when distant sunlight reflects off the ocean to light up clouds in the sky for a nice rose-colored pink tint.

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

visualopsins wrote:
A piece of white board can reflect light onto the statue...

Focusing tip: shine a laser-pointer dot where you want focus to be, focus camera on the bright dot...

Another good time here and probably where you are is often after sunset when distant sunlight reflects off the ocean to light up clouds in the sky for a nice rose-colored pink tint.

Some good tips, cheers.

Here, we sometimes have the most amazing sunsets with the sky all kinds of amazing colours, but more often it's just grey and dull.

It's a case of timing to capture them, I have caught a few nice ones.

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always prefer B&W for these subjects. That angel looks great.

Perhaps a side-by-side test of one variable would be better; be it film, lens, camera, filter or whatever as I can't tell which one is affecting the image most. So far I like the Kiev & J12 combo.

visualopsins wrote:

Crazy man! Laughing Laughing

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another vote for B&W and the Kiev/Jupiter.