Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Russian Jupiter-38 75mm f:4 M42
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 4:00 pm    Post subject: Russian Jupiter-38 75mm f:4 M42 Reply with quote

This lens is to be sold on a Finnish auction site.

http://www.huuto.net/fi/showitem.php3?itemid=92693072

Serial number 9070. Apparently made by MMZ Belomo.

I believe this is a rare lens. Any good?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this is a magnifier lens, not for cameras. It has fix aperture seems.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm... might be. The seller says - pre-set aperture, but maybe this is an enlarger lens. There´s the Industar-90U 4/75 mm - maybe the same formula?

The M42 mount confused me. Embarassed

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it a real problem? If you can mount it on camera and take photos, it isn't important, what was it originaly intended for. Or am I wrong?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gurdie wrote:
Hmm... might be. The seller says - pre-set aperture, but maybe this is an enlarger lens. There´s the Industar-90U 4/75 mm - maybe the same formula?

Might be, I didn't see aperture on photos.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found this, but I don't know if the lens was specially designed for it:
http://www.novacon.com.br/odditycameras/selena.htm

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great find Peter.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Peter,

mystery solved!

Now I must Embarassed Embarassed

So far one bid - 41 euros - 30 hours left. I´m wondering should I try or not, if I could get it for about 50 euros.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gurdie wrote:
The seller says - pre-set aperture, but maybe this is an enlarger lens. There´s the Industar-90U 4/75 mm - maybe the same formula?

It doesn't look much like a preset lens to me. Where are the two aperture dial rings like the J-9? Maybe in Finnish it might be clearer, but in English the word "preset" could easily be used to describe a fixed aperture lens by a seller who doesn't understand its real meaning.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I understand. First I thought, that "fixed" means "non-changeable", and "pre-set" only means that the shutter actuation doesn´t close the aperture.

I´ll try to contact the seller.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aperture ring is clearly visible here:

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can build your own aperture ring!
Take a black cardboard, cut it round the same diameter as your front glass, cut a circle in the centre and make it of the approx. aperture you would like to have.
Then lay the cardboard on the front glass (do not worry as cardboard will not scratch glass, just be careful a bit about the edges that may hurt the coating if very unlucky), and keep it in position with a little masking tape (the kind with less glue possible) applied on the barrel.

voilà!!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just saw this.
So, there were M42 mount.
http://ussrphoto.com/Wiki/default.asp?WikiCatID=26&ParentID=2&ContentID=1099

You can see it mounted on a Zenit E.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:23 am    Post subject: I have this lens Reply with quote

I have this lens, not very sharp. It has a pretty wide back end so you need a m42 adapter without the flange to make it useful. The aperture selection is continuous and a bit weird to use.

I do not have any good pictures at the moment, I have only used it a couple of times really, in bad conditions and in filming, but I will post some when I do have the chance to use it this spring.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 4:18 pm    Post subject: Some examples Reply with quote

Just thought I would share some photos from this lens, which I bought just because I had never heard of it.

They came out pretty good I think.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those are nice. The last one especially has a good character about it. Thanks for sharing! I think these are the first samples I've seen from the Jupiter 38.

I would be very interested in seeing some more, particularly if you could use it for close-ups or in a portrait capacity.

~Marc

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, they look very good !
Colourful, contrasty, sharp (esp the lighthouse).

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

themoleman342 wrote:
Those are nice. The last one especially has a good character about it. Thanks for sharing! I think these are the first samples I've seen from the Jupiter 38.

I would be very interested in seeing some more, particularly if you could use it for close-ups or in a portrait capacity.

~Marc

Thanks.

I will try to use it more, I am starting to like the 75mm on a crop sensor (Canon 7D).

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 6:53 pm    Post subject: Portrait and macro Reply with quote

Portrait of my niece and a macro. Both sharpened and the portrait is retouched, some carrot cake residue around the mouth was not very flattering.

The Macro is shot using a very thin extension tube.

Edit: managed to upload the wrong macro version

Last edited by jumbomad on Mon Apr 02, 2012 5:30 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh man, that's brilliant.
I can see the house, the color and contrast is nice too.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 12:38 pm    Post subject: Thanks Reply with quote

Thank you. I think it is a brilliant lens. Glad I have it, not very common at all.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All your samples look very good!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jupiter-38 + Ricoh GXR, wide open, light from window, no sharpening (RAW processing in ACR 7)

http://fotki.yandex.ru/users/serkol64/view/822233/

Light directly in camera.....

http://fotki.yandex.ru/users/serkol64/view/822234/