Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

ROW (Carl Zeiss Jena) Visionar f1.9 141mm
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 6:40 am    Post subject: ROW (Carl Zeiss Jena) Visionar f1.9 141mm Reply with quote

Got this lens in a very special version, built into a focusing mount with M42 mount and most importantly with built in adjustable iris (!!). Not sure if this was a factory sample or what,
it looks a bit what I used to built when I was in a mechanical workshop many years ago...Maybe an employee of ROW (Rathenower Optische Werke) once made for fun or for a test.

It is a double Gauss design 6e/6g with freestanding lenses (for better thermal management when used as projection lens), single coated.

Here now a few test images using my usual target fully open to stopped down one stop each:

As one can easily see, sharpness does not increase when stopping down, just DOF increases (trees in BG). It is very sharp already wide open!

It seems to also be quite free of distorsion:

Sharpness and contrast are really impressive:

I show more images from a trip to the park in a separate thread here: http://forum.mflenses.com/viewtopic,p,1366315.html#1366315

Last edited by kds315* on Fri Jan 10, 2014 11:32 am; edited 3 times in total

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! Surprised

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed, especially wide open!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah.
Is that a projection lens?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great find!!!

Klaus

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

luisalegria wrote:
Ah.
Is that a projection lens?

Yes it is Luis.

@Klaus: Thanks, indeed it is, never seen such before, except my 2.8/135mm Visionar with iris

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good examples!
That wide open sharpness is one of the reasons I like projection lenses - they are optimized for wide open work.
Cheap slide projection lenses are often very bad - but some like the Meyer Diaplan/Pentacon AV at least show interessting effect.

But those much better cine projection lenses like yours have often amazing quality. I supöose they were not cheap lenses back then - in contrast to most slide projection lenses.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes Cinema projector lenses are great.

I have a similar Cine Xenon in 2/130mm size

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Impressive! Very Happy
Great performance wide-open.

-Does it cover FF 35mm?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW, indeed! That is surely the best superfast MF tele I have ever seen!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice lens indeed!
How is the level of CA of your lens when used wide opened?
I have the 100mm f/1.6 version of "Visionar"(without diaphragm and focusing helicoid) and I like it very much. Its only draw-back is the CA wide opened.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes Dan, it has quite some CA, but knowing that, it is manageable.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really fantastic looking.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

superb lenses and yours looks may even better than mine, extreme speed focal length combo what we all want , congrats!!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For Klaus,

There is very important information here which maybe is being overlooked. Time to wake up and smell the coffee perhaps?.

I cannot tell the depth but the photo showing the iris looks like it is placed just after the front element. (Can you check, please?)

This would mean moving the front element forward and increasing the track length compared to an unmodified 1.9/141mm lens. But wait, maybe this does not disturb the optical balance and is OK to do. The photos show good results, so yes it would seem to be OK.

I remember posting a thread on the telecentric aspect of the SK Cine Xenons some time ago, these lenses

https://www.schneideroptics.com/xenonff-prime/

use the same method for placing the iris just behind the front element.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John, assume I have a "little bit" of optical knowledge Wink

Maybe after having had a strong coffee yourself, you would possibly notice the 2 x 3
reflections in the frontal image which indicates that the iris sits right at the optical center
(as it is a 6e/6g design)?

Good morning buddy!! Very Happy

Last edited by kds315* on Sat Jan 11, 2014 6:09 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

simply amazing results! Shocked

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kds315* wrote:
John, assume I have a "little bit" of optical knowledge Wink

Maybe after having had a strong coffee yourself, you would possibly notice the 2 x 3
reflections in the frontal image which indicates that the iris sits right at the optical center
(as it is a 6e/6g design)?

Good morning buddy!! Very Happy

My quest for knowledge is a noble one. I am interested in the apparent (no way of telling without side by side comparison with an unmodified unit) increase in track length and the positioning of the iris control so far up front.

Can you see the element edges?

I smelled the reflections Wink

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Impressive results. I have a 168mm Visionar and it is so huge and heavy that I never use it. I would like to find a shorter, smaller one sometime though.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go try, it seems to be worth it Wink

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have used it in the past, it's just so big and heavy with such a tiny dof that it's not really practical.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aww I want it Smile

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amazing lens, very impressive!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dan_ wrote:

I have the 100mm f/1.6 version of "Visionar"(without diaphragm and focusing helicoid) and I like it very much.
Welcome Smile So here it is Visionar 100/1.6 with diaphragm,focusing helicoid, lens hood, PK mount made by Marek Mazur from Poland.

Georg, ex Director of Coating at Carl Zeiss Vision confirmed that the Visionar range was made in the 60/70ties for large Cinema projection and is an advanced 6 lens design, suitable for CCD Imaging down to 6 µm pixel size resolution, quite an achievement at 1.9 aperture. The largest one is the 1:1.9 at 200mm focal lenght, with an 4" aperture an impressive piece of glass, most Visonars were made by Carl Zeiss in Jena at the time but also licensed out to ROW in Rathenow.

Last edited by Kamosor on Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:26 pm; edited 3 times in total

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First post. Welcome!