Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Ricohs
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 11:59 pm    Post subject: Ricohs Reply with quote

Here is my humble family,and a mix of lens

And this was a bit of fun shooting through the viewfinder of the KR5super/Rikenon 1.4/55 lens on it,closest I will get to using a MFL lens on a digital body...for a little while...

Laughing

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mo-Fo wrote:
Nice family indeed.

Cheers, Marty.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats Mofo. It seems you shoot a lot of film?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes,I am cutting my teeth on film.I would love to upgrade to a digital slr but the cost prevents me at the moment (although film is not cheap/processing etc)...Family first then hobby.Plus I am researching which is the best one for me.

I started on the Yashica Minister D and due to it's poor viewfinder I put it down for a few years and picked up a Olympus sp510uz which got me interested again,but again due to it's limitations on distance etc ( I wanted to do more with it but it has it's limits) I looked at going with interchangeable lenses...the cost of a DSLR put me off.So I thought the old film SLRs are cheap now and the lenses as you guys keep proving are still great so here I am learning...before the next step.....DSLR

There is a lot to learn using film,the lens & cameras themselves ,F stops and aperture,but the more I use the more it all makes sense and the result hopefully will be some fine memories and being able to capture the stunning scenery of Gods creation.Your photos inspire me not to give up....the ones of the light breaking through the valley,with the depth...amazing.
Long ramble...for one question..... Embarassed Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice family you have there. You are not alone shooting film in this forum. Many of the members here are using films/slides. Not sure if you are aware but the "digital corner" was only started a few months back.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ricoh cams have always been some kind of outsiders in the Canon-Nikon-Olympus-Pentax family.
But actually Ricoh was able to build some very decent cams.
My first SLR was a Ricoh KR-10x. I still have it and it is still working, despite all the adventures it has been though. Wink

And the (Minox 35 copy) FF-1 is a fantastic cam as well!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My favorite is the KR5super....apparently the KR5super 2 is the nicest but I have not tried it yet.All of mine have a ding of some sort and all are fully working.
Maybe this is a question for a different section but what is the difference in using slide and film.I know quality is better...I see a lot of slide film for sale and wonder how I would put it to use??

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mo-fo wrote:
what is the difference in using slide and film
I guess at the end is only matter of taste or the kind of job you got to do. Since you stated you're a beginner I 'd say that the big difference is that negative is way more forgiving. I mean, if you make an error in the exposure/composition phase the is plenty of room in the processing phase to recover it. You can in fact tweak (or your lab of choice can) the print to get it right or acceptable at least, then a print can always be cropped if the composition is not of your taste. With slide a small error in exposure and the slide (which is of course the final product) will be way too dark or light and thus not useful. Then there is obviously no way to crop. So IMO slide require a more careful approach, but if you do it right can be rewarding. When you look at a slide on light table or even better projected on the wall... priceless IMO. All this speaking with traditional process in mind. With a hybrid process the horizon widens, but here we're going too far. Talking about quality you can get great result from both as far as you master the media.

Cheers, Marty.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats, one of my most loving lens was the Rikenon 1.4/55mm for a long period and you have it too.

Missing a TLS 401 with the double Viewfinder in your family.. ??

Cheers
Henry

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mo-Fo wrote:

There is a lot to learn using film,

Absolutely, yes. Film is the best school. By far. I learned on film and when I moved to digital, it was just a matter of learning how to insert the card, everything else was etched in my head after years of experience learning how to meter light.

Mo-Fo wrote:
Your photos inspire me not to give up....the ones of the light breaking through the valley,with the depth...amazing.
Long ramble...for one question..... Embarassed Rolling Eyes

Thanks Mofo for the kind words. That is a good example, what you made. Without the learning on film, I would have certainly missed that photo.
Fact is, when you learn how to take that photo with the narrow tolerance of a slide, knowing that even half a stop can mess it, then doing it on digital is just a piece of cake.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the great teaching!.Yes I have tried to get a Ricoh TLS 401...I have heard they are tricky if the seals have gone in the viewfinder area.I am sitting on the fence about buying one Rolling Eyes They don't turn up to often on Ozbay....I am currently waiting on my 3rd TLS...for the lens of course Very Happy