Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

RF or SLR soviet M39
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lightshow wrote:
On any mirrorless you may be able to swap the brass inserts, I assume the O.D. is machined to the same spec/profile, then you can shim to your hearts content and have dedicated Z39 adapters. I'm kinda surprised they don't sell them....I haven't seen any.

Indeed, if you grind down the threaded insert ring by the needed 0.26 mm then the problem is solved for infinity focus.

Haven't seen any dedicated Z39 adapters as well, but I'm not surprised as the solution (M39 adaper plus 16.4 mm distance ring) is readily available for little money.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lightshow wrote:
On any mirrorless you may be able to swap the brass inserts, I assume the O.D. is machined to the same spec/profile, then you can shim to your hearts content and have dedicated Z39 adapters. I'm kinda surprised they don't sell them....I haven't seen any.

Why do you assume the od is the same?
It would be really nice if they were standardised, but experience suggests if anything manufacturers try to keep them proprietary.
I've found the same type of adapter from different suppliers can have different ODs for their inserts.
Trying to use a M39 insert in a M42 outer is most unlikely to fit.

When I first started collecting mount measurements I found inserts with 48mm, 50mm & 52mm ODs then found others that didn't match these.
At least one of my LTM inserts can be fitted to my Paragon bellows (although the V grooves differ so its not light tight), none of the other combination I've tried have fitted well.