Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Replacing the mirror damper in a Contax 139Q
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 6:59 pm    Post subject: Replacing the mirror damper in a Contax 139Q Reply with quote

Besides the normal degradation with aging, the mirror damper uses to degrade as well. In my case, the Contax 139 Quartz's one was looking right but after slightly touching it, got deformed and didn't recover the normal shape:

The first step is to remove the damaged stuff. This time I've been really lucky since the damper had a base made on thin plastic film and removing it was really easy.

The usual tools: the bamboo self made tool (made upon a chopstick from my last chinese dinner). Bamboo is strong enough to remove the degraded stuff without scratching the painting.

Careful cleaning with Isoprophylic alcohool to remove the last traces of the old damper adhesive. (Be careful, the vapour is toxic).

These are the remainders:

To measure the length to cut the new damper, I use a piece of paper, that I fold until I get the right size. (Trial and error).

Now is time to cut the new damper. I use the kits from Jon Goodman (Interslice in eBay). I cut two because I'm fixing two of these Contax.

Peeling the base is somewhat difficult. Using the tip of the cutter uses to help. Be careful to place the new damper in place. Licking the adhesive uses to help.

And the final result:

Hope this would be interesting (at least for the new members).

Regards.

Jes.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks for this detailed guide, it will be useful for many of us!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uuuuggggrrr I did the same thing more than once, but never recorded it.
Jes, you won. Very Happy Laughing Very Happy Laughing

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Attila!.

Koji, I also did it many times in the past, but this one I spent some time in taking some shots to illustrate it... Smile

Now I have to replace the light seals as well.

Regards.

Jes.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nicely done - very neat.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use the light seal kit from Aki Asahi, it works a treat: the kit includes three sets, laser-cut for accuracy, and enough spare foam rubber material for other jobs too.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right grungy old foam that stuff. I'd never have thought it would deteriorate like that, being supposedly resistant to it, or so I believed. Probably atmospheric pollutants for 30 years.
Neatly done, Jes.