Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Replacement for FA43Ltd ?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 8:21 pm    Post subject: Replacement for FA43Ltd ? Reply with quote

I am planning to sell my 43ltd when I have found a good replacement as I really don't use it enough and can get a really good price for it that will fund a few more M42s !

I have spotted these for sale locally (if you can call all of China local) !

SMC Pentax-A 1.7 50mm (US$120)
Contax CZ Planar T* 50mm 1.4 (US$270) (via T to PK adaptor)
CZJ Pancolar electric MC 50mm f1.8 (various US$100 to 150)
CZJ Tessar 50/2.8 (US$80)
SMC Pentax-A 2.0 50mm (US$80)
S-M-C Takumar 50/1.4 (US$95)

or maybe someone here has a great 50mm they can offer me at a competitive price ? Very Happy

There is also this : Carl Zeiss Planar 1.2/55mm ........ however that would be a cool US$7,000 as listed !

Off on a completely different tangent the Tair 300/ 4 (US$270) or the Takumar 300/f6.3 (US$185) ?

Thanks for commenting !
Kevin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kevin, do I understand you correctly, your equation is something like:

sell 43 = 1 ~50mm + some other exciting lens?

While there will be opinions about the list you give, I'd be tempted to first figure out what the other exciting lens is... and then let the remaining funds direct me to the 50 I can afford.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jussi,

I figured I could get a replacement around 50mm / a decent M42 300 and maybe the Jupiter 9 which I really like too. And my wife couldn't say anything about my LBA since it would all be self-financed !

Kevin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I only have experience of the various Pentax offerings, and of that bunch I personally would go for the S-M-C Takumar 50mm f/1.4. The auto/manual switch on M42 lenses makes them easier to use on a Pentax dSLR than the K series and M series lenses, even though I love my K series lenses especially the 50mm f/1.2. (You can leave the camera on Av mode and just shut down the aperture after focusing.) The Tak is nicely made and gives lovely rendering.

Best wishes, Kris.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately I just sold my Tak 50/1.4 but I have many more interesting M42 lenses. I'm interested in your 43 if it's the chrome "Made in Japan" version. A nice addition to its larger brother (the FA77) Wink

What about the Voigtländer Septon 50/2 + proper adapter to M42? Or the Schneider-Kreuznach Xenon 50/1.9 with the same adapter.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spotmatic ...... I don't really like the Bokeh of the SK Xenon but maybe I could be tempted by the Septon + cash ? PM me if interested.

Kris - thank you for the advice. At the moment the S-M-C Takumar 50mm f/1.4 and the SMC Pentax-A 1.7 50mm seem to be garnering the most votes from those I've asked advice from. I've also been offered a SMC FA 50mm 1.4 in part-ex.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 10:27 am    Post subject: for what it's worth Reply with quote

I'll vote for either the SMC Tak 50/1.4 if you want to stay manual, or the SMC FA50/1.4 if you need the speed+response. I have others in the 50-55/1.7-2 range, and the 50/1.4's definitely smoke those speed-wise, not to mention great bokeh. If you went for the Tak 50, you could easily invest in a Helios-44 also, for just a little more reach, not to mention manual purity. Smile

At the other end, I can't recommend any 300's, but right now in the bay there's a Tele-Takumar 200/5.6 which is small, sharp, saturated, nearly flawless, with a BIN of US$60. I have faster (and bigger) 200's, but that little beauty is the one that gets carried around and used, even more than my lightweight Enna 240/4.5. I think I saw a similar Meyer 240 listed also, at a good price.

SPOTMATIC: Do you have enough 80's? Smile

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RicoRico:

What do you mean? You can never have too many 80's!

Laughing

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spotmatic wrote:
What do you mean? You can never have too many 80's! Laughing

Philosophically, I understand that. But I have this situation. I live in a monochromatic cedar forest that's dead boring, nothing of interest within an hour's drive. So I'm disinclined to use all my glass here. Aha! I'll soon leave on a multi-month road trip, either (depending on finances) tenting around the mountain West of the USA, or driving back to Central America. If I take all 75+ lenses I have available -- the 15's, 24's, 28's, 35's, 50-58's, 80's, 100's, 135's, 200's, etc -- and a few other bodies and MF folders -- I'll either have 1) a problem at borders and checkpoints, or 2) a problem with vicious gear-hungry bears, raccoons, squirrels, etc.

So I ask myself: How much is enough? And I consider Verner Vinge's classic novel STRANDED IN REALTIME, about folks who use stasis bubbles to escape to futures -- and only what they take with them is real, usable; everything left behind just vanishes into the past, stranded in realtime. If you use it, it's real; if you don't, it's just so much obsolete detritus. So I only use transportable laptop comptuers; and I've about given up on printers, scanners, synthesizers; and I fret about the lenses. Two dozen 80's are great if you're not going anywhere. I'm not frozen yet. I hope.