Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Raid du Mercantour
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 4:25 pm    Post subject: Raid du Mercantour Reply with quote

A picture tells a thousand words, so here are four thousand words from last Sunday. And yes these ones really were taken with a MF lens, Nikon D40, Cosina Voigtländer Ultron 40mm f/2 SL II, ISO 200. Pictures link to larger sizes. Location is the hamlet of Castorino in the French Alps.

1. f/5 1/250

2. f/5 1/500

3. f/5 1/500

4. f/5 1/250 cropped to about 60%

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice ones Chris, looks like fun (I guess). Right now I have had enough snow. Very Happy Very Happy The more I see of those Voigtlander lenses the more I love them. They really do run the Zeiss a close one.

patrickh

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, a nice series. Although they do seem to be a little underexposed (snow!) on my screen...

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

patrickh wrote:
Nice ones Chris, looks like fun (I guess). Right now I have had enough snow. Very Happy Very Happy The more I see of those Voigtlander lenses the more I love them. They really do run the Zeiss a close one.

Be sure and follow the links to flickr then, I put these up at 1600 pixels wide images. I'm also happy to send a full size NEF to any forum member who wants to inspect one (or show me how to process it better).

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LucisPictor wrote:
Yes, a nice series. Although they do seem to be a little underexposed (snow!) on my screen...

They are, a little. I was checking on the histograms to try and avoid either black or white clipping. In some cases I left a little headroom because otherwise the snow was featureless white. Would you have exposed them more? How much?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I normally set the camera to +1 when shooting snow.
In this situation however the light is very ugly, because it is very flat. No shadow detail surfaces from the snow.
So there is a foundation in the saying that overexposing would create a mass of blank white.
I normally don't mind to lose some white detail when shooting snow, as long as the most part is still readable.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Super Chris, the red pop
Do you live in France or just for holidays
On my lcd the snow is well exposed

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, Castorino (like the name shows) used to be Italian alps Crying or Very sad

-

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The colours really sing - certainly my processing skills couldn't do better.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
I normally set the camera to +1 when shooting snow.
In this situation however the light is very ugly, because it is very flat. No shadow detail surfaces from the snow.

Yes it was an overcast grey sky with no direct sunlight. By 2:30pm it was also snowing quite a bit. I had assumed I would be on like +0.7ev but soon discovered that wasn't working at all.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
Actually, Castorino (like the name shows) used to be Italian alps Crying or Very sad
-

Yes. On the way back, the bus got stuck behind a car which was actually parked in the middle of the road (because the driver had no chains and was scared). We inched back and missed the train by 20 minutes so he drove us further on to Breil-sur-Roya because the train waits there for a while. On the way, he pointed out where the old 'douanes' (customs post) used to be. The driver spoke Italian as well as French.

This area only became part of France in 1947. Mind you the part I live in became part of France only in 1860. And some trouble maker called Garibaldi objected Wink . There is a statue of him in Nice.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

poilu wrote:
Super Chris, the red pop
Do you live in France or just for holidays
On my lcd the snow is well exposed

Thanks! I live in France all the time. Well except when travelling which I do a lot (for work). Would I be right to guess that you are French, Mr. Hairy?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChrisLilley wrote:

This area only became part of France in 1947. Mind you the part I live in became part of France only in 1860. And some trouble maker called Garibaldi objected Wink .

Yes. Idiot Italian king gave Nice and the Savoie away to France for free. Evil or Very Mad
Garibaldi was entirely right.
-

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about this one?

(It's on the MFL server.)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LucisPictor wrote:
What about this one?

Its certainly lighter and also warmer on the snow, but retains what snow shadow detail and texture there is. There seems to be a slight loss of contrast and saturation in the collapsed parasail thingy and a small shift in the colour of the blue pipes around that white object to the left.

Did you do that using curves?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

White point / black point with Nikon Capture NX.