Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Radioactivity of old manual lenses
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 9:16 pm    Post subject: Radioactivity of old manual lenses Reply with quote

I prepared a test of radioactivity on majority of my lenses. Here is the result:

I made measurement for both rear and front elements (1cm distance, if possible). Some results are as expected, but some of them are a bit surprising for me:

S-M-C Macro Takumar 50/4: radioactive... VERY low intensity, but present. I think it uses lanthanum glass.

Super Takumar 35/2.0 V1 / PRO (the big one)... low radioactivity, half than on the later version, which is known to be thoriated... this level of radioactivity could mean utilization of lanthanum glass or very low amount of thorium

S-M-C Takumar 85/1.8: I have never seen this lens in any list of radioactive lenses, but its radioactivity is really evident. It's very untypical, that front side radiates more than the rear one, so the thoriated(?) element is located in front optical group...

Carl Zeiss Jena Biometar 80/2.8 (zebra, P6): next surprise... while the old M42 (alu) version isn't radioactive, the newer one (for medium format cameras) is. Radioactivity level is really low. It could be lanthanum glass or very low amount of thorium...

I made some colored highlights to allow easier orientation... blue = low radioactivity, red = high radioactivity

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, cool! I might have a hot lens for my P6.

PS: The stability of your background radiation measurements is very impressive and certainly leaves little room for doubt about the accuracy of your results.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you so much, yeah, my S-M-C Tak is first runnerup! Laughing

Joking aside, do you have experience of how long it takes to "de-yellow" the lens with UV treatment? I have been putting it behind a window glass under the sun for more than two weeks now.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulC: I must say, that the results aren't 100% exact (cheap dosimeter, I have no idea, what aspects can impact the measurement etc., accuracy is at best 20nSv/h - very likely lower), but I think, that all colored results really stands for radioactive glass.

I also found informatio, that both thorium and lanthanum glasses were developed in time and it became so pure, that its radioactivity was almost non-existant. It means, that even non-radioactive lenses can be equipped by thorium/lanthanum elemens.

aleksanderpolo: As I remember, I used 11W UV tube and it took about 5 weeks for S-M-C 50/1.4...

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks, very interesting !

It looks like all lenses, regardless of brand and model, have radioactivity levels higher than the background.

I wonder where does it come from - the glass? the coating? the barrel?

Another thing I'd be curious to see, is some test on today's autofocus lenses, to compare.

Which brand and model of detector did you use?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another thing to consider:

if a normal "clean" lens averages around 180 radioactivity, a bag with 6 lenses (not that uncommon, considering that many of these old lenses are small) becomes a not so reassuring 1080 radioatcivity bag that you may carry all day near your abdomen or your lungs (depending on the type of bag).

Something to think about.

It also means that Carsten with his typical trekking setup of 15 or so lenses goes around with a little nuclear bomb hanging from his shoulders! Shocked Laughing

-

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In fact some lenses slightly lowered the background radioactivity - mainly CCCP models (thick metal parts?).

I used the cheapest one I could get - Radex RD1503.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ooops! Didn't read the chart properly Embarassed

If we're going to go further we need to determine what kind of radiation you are getting before we start worrying about the cumulative lensing effects of it in Carsten's bag.

Last edited by PaulC on Fri Feb 26, 2010 10:41 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aleksanderpolo wrote:
do you have experience of how long it takes to "de-yellow" the lens with UV treatment? I have been putting it behind a window glass under the sun for more than two weeks now.

It depends where you are - that is, how strong is the sunlight and for how long each day. I have heard of sunlight cures taking 3 weeks in a place where there was hot bright sunshine all day long. I did mine in England's winter and it took from November till March to be completely clear!

Have patience, it's a slow process, but the other side of the coin is that the yellowing doesn't re-appear quickly either. I keep my Tak 1.4/50 in a clear plastic box meant for the Mir-1V with no cap, and even though it only gets a little light, it keeps it nice and clear.

Thank you for your chart no-x. The figures are interesting to show the different levels of radioactive. Is it possible to relate your results to something to show if there is any danger to someone using the worst lenses? Also do you have any figures for the various Takumar 1.8/55s?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No-X have you tried to measure your lens cabinet (assuming that you keep your lenses together in one place) at about say 1 mt distance - which would be the typical walking distance ?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jiri,
Nice job!
Just want to know what is the distance you put your dosimeter away from the lens.
Thanks,
Wei

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lwsy711 wrote:

Just want to know what is the distance you put your dosimeter away from the lens.

He said it in the original message: about 1 cm

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
lwsy711 wrote:

He said it in the original message: about 1 cm

Shocked
Sorry to be a bad reader Very Happy

Then the result comforts me. Let's naively say the radioactivity decrease proportional to 1/r^2, then the radiation level should be about 1/9 when the detector is about 3cm away from the lens.

Last edited by lwsy711 on Fri Feb 26, 2010 10:10 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterqd wrote:
I keep my Tak 1.4/50 in a clear plastic box meant for the Mir-1V with no cap, and even though it only gets a little light, it keeps it nice and clear.

Well, Peter, from the data it looks like you should keep the SMC Tak 1.4/50 away from where you seat or sleep, and preferably in a thick metal box if you have one.

I loved my SMC Tak 1.4/50, but I sold it for this very reason.

I am now wondering if I should sell also my SMC Tak 3.5/135 (my last remaining Tak lens) - anyone knows the RA for this lens?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aleksanderpolo wrote:

Joking aside, do you have experience of how long it takes to "de-yellow" the lens with UV treatment? I have been putting it behind a window glass under the sun for more than two weeks now.

Window glass is a bit of a show stopper, you might as well put it behind a UV filter - that might take forever. A week with a 20W black light CFL was enough to clear all my lenses including a Aero Ektar which had browned to honey colour.

Sevo

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no-X wrote:

I also found informatio, that both thorium and lanthanum glasses were developed in time and it became so pure, that its radioactivity was almost non-existant. It means, that even non-radioactive lenses can be equipped by thorium/lanthanum elemens.

Not thorium - this is radioactive by itself. However, the non-alpha activity of pure thorium only builds up slowly as the amount of beta- or gamma-radioactive decay products increases - a fresh inner lens made with refined thorium might escape detection.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
peterqd wrote:
I keep my Tak 1.4/50 in a clear plastic box meant for the Mir-1V with no cap, and even though it only gets a little light, it keeps it nice and clear.

Well, Peter, from the data it looks like you should keep the SMC Tak 1.4/50 away from where you seat or sleep, and preferably in a thick metal box if you have one.

Are you being serious or tongue-in-cheek? Smile

That's the reason I asked if we could relate the figures to something I can understand. As just bare numbers they mean very little to me - I just can't tell whether the Tak 50 is dangerous or not, but my instinct tells me that you're over-reacting.

If they were at all dangerous I can't believe, with all our consumer protection and safety laws, that nobody has bothered to issue a safety warning about radioactive lenses or call them all in for destruction. I can't find any cases of anyone being affected by using them in the past, do you know of any?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Send me guys all dangerous lenses I will sleep with them LOL.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterqd wrote:

Are you being serious or tongue-in-cheek? Smile

I'm serious because I know that us lens lovers tend to spend a lot of time near our jewels - we don't only use them when we go out to photograph, we handle them, clean them, like to have them near - sometimes when I like to relax without sleeping I take a couple of my lenses and look at them, I like to feel them in my hands - stupid I know Rolling Eyes But to do it with a lens that is 10 times higher than background RA might not be safe.

Quote:
That's the reason I asked if we could relate the figures to something I can understand. As just bare numbers they mean very little to me - I just can't tell whether the Tak 50 is dangerous or not, but my instinct tells me that you're over-reacting.

Peter, think about it, Nox gave us the comparison term, it's the background radioactivity level. It surely depends on the area where you live but I thin kwe can assume that on average, the values of where you live should be similar.
Nox lists background level at about 200. The SMC Tak 1.4/50 is almost 2000 which means 10 times more the background level.
I would not feel safe to have around all the time something that is 10 times more radioactive than normal.
To use it for a photo session is one thing, to have it near where you seat or sleep is something different.

POST SCRIPTUM: exactly today, an Italian tribunal has decided to assign a refund to a person who worked for a company and was forced to use for his job, a cell phone or a cordless phone, continuously, 4-5 hours per day. The person developed a cancer at his inner ear. The tribunal acknowledged that the cell phone continuous use was the cause.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There have been warnings regarding radioactive eyepieces on telescopes and rifle sights. Photographic lenses are harmless in use - for optical reasons, the thoriated element is never the front lens, so that the radioactivity (alpha, which does nor even reach far in air) is well contained. Scrapping them could prove expensive, though, and they aren't made anymore, as workplace safety regulations would be close to those in a nuclear plant.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sevo: Thanks

other data:

1m distance from my lens cabinet (closer to the place where are 35+50mm lenses): 200 nSv/h

similar measurement in another room: 170 nSv/h

S-M-C Takumar 50/1.4 (distance of rear element + result):

0 cm ~ 1740 nSv/h
5 cm ~ 630 nSv/h
10 cm ~ 420 nSv/h
20 cm ~ 280 nSv/h
40 cm ~ 180 nSv/h (similar level to normal background)

test repeated with rear-cap (plastic) on:

0 cm ~ 1460 nSv/h
5 cm ~ 620 nSv/h
10 cm ~ 310 nSv/h
20 cm ~ 210 nSv/h

Takumar + both caps + soft lens case + piece of cloth between lens and dosimeter + 10cm distance (to simulate carying the lens in photo-bag): 330 nSv/h

I'm not a physicis, but I think that means, that during a 3-hour trip with Takumar you'll get as much radiation as on 5-hour trip without it(?)

So... if you won't store the Takumar under your bed (or less than 40cm to your body), it shouldn't affect you...

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no-X wrote:
Sevo: Thanks

other data:

1m distance from my lens cabinet (closer to the place where are 35+50mm lenses): 200 nSv/h

similar measurement in another room: 170 nSv/h

S-M-C Takumar 50/1.4 (distance of rear element + result):

0 cm ~ 1740 nSv/h
5 cm ~ 630 nSv/h
10 cm ~ 420 nSv/h
20 cm ~ 280 nSv/h

test repeated with rear-cap (plastic) on:

0 cm ~ 1460 nSv/h
5 cm ~ 620 nSv/h
10 cm ~ 310 nSv/h
20 cm ~ 210 nSv/h

Takumar + both caps + soft lens case + piece of cloth between lens and dosimeter + 10cm distance (to simulate carying the lens in photo-bag): 330 nSv/h

I'm not a physicis, but I think that means, that during a 3-hour trip with Takumar you'll get as much radiation as on 5-hour trip without it(?)

So... if you won't store the Takumar under your bed (or less than 40cm to your body), it shouldn't affect you...

Thanks, that is good information !

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
Nox lists background level at about 200. The SMC Tak 1.4/50 is almost 2000 which means 10 times more the background level.
I would not feel safe to have around all the time something that is 10 times more radioactive than normal.

Yes, but 10 x virtually nothing = virtually nothing.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterqd wrote:
Orio wrote:

Yes, but 10 x virtually nothing = virtually nothing.

Well, I know very little about radioactivity, but one of the few things I learned is "there is no such thing as 'nothing' when you speak of radiations".

So, your equation is not true. Especially because it's not a one-time event. A person who owns radioactive lenses uses them more than one time. And another thing I know about radiations is, their effect is cumulative.

-

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The effect of radiation isn't cumulative, the chances of it affecting you are.

You're talking about whether a high energy particle happens to knock a bit of your DNA about. If a collision (or miss) doesn't do damage then it doesn't increase the risk of the next collision doing damage. If you walk away from the source before it damages you, then you should be OK.

However, if you increase the number of collisions five-fold then you have five times the chance of getting one that is damaging.

But this also means that the first collision might be the one that does the harm .... or you might get lucky and have n-billion that don't hurt you.

The risk that the first particle might just be the harmful one is the reason there is not a safe level for radiation. It's not the same as a chemical poison where a certain dosage is always harmless and a certain overdose always lethal.