Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Question re Carl Zeiss Distagon ... Orio?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 2:19 am    Post subject: Question re Carl Zeiss Distagon ... Orio? Reply with quote

Hello all,
I am in the market for a Distagon 24mm.
I know there are 2 versions of Distagons, MM and the earlier version AE.
What I also learnt that there are German made and Japanese made Distagons.
Is there any difference in image quality between German and Japanese made Distagons?????
German made is about twice more expensive...

cheers
Ed

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 7:37 am    Post subject: Re: Question re Carl Zeiss Distagon ... Orio? Reply with quote

esrods wrote:
Hello all,
I am in the market for a Distagon 24mm.

It's actually a 25mm.

esrods wrote:
I know there are 2 versions of Distagons, MM and the earlier version AE.
What I also learnt that there are German made and Japanese made Distagons.
Is there any difference in image quality between German and Japanese made Distagons?????
German made is about twice more expensive...

Because idiot people think that Germany made lenses are better made, which is not true. Japan lenses were made after Zeiss design, with Zeiss glass recipe, controlled by Zeiss trained technicians (when not directly by Zeiss German technicians) using the same measuring equipment (reputed the best in the world) that were used in Zeiss Oberkochen.

The real difference in the case of Distagon 25 is between the AE and MM versions, because the MM version was redesigned, to obtain better corner performance. The original Distagon 25 was a bit weak in the corners, while the MM version improved that.
According to various reports, the newest version of the lens (Distagon 25 ZF for Nikon mount) has been furtherly improved and should be the top performer.
What I can tell you is that I have the Distagon 25 MM version and it's a dream lens: incredible colour density, and a sharpness that, at or around f/5.6, is probably the best of any lens of the same lenght.
If you don't feel like spending the big money needed for a Distagon 25 MM, you can also shop for a Yashica ML 24, which is by all means an excellent lens, not as sharp as the Distagon 25 but definitely more sharp than enough, and better than the Distagon 25 in the corners.
-

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Orio.
It sounds like MM(J) is the one to look for.
ZF is beyond my budget.
Thanks again.
cheers
Ed