Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Question about Tamron 20A 70-150 f/3.5
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 2:55 pm    Post subject: Question about Tamron 20A 70-150 f/3.5 Reply with quote

Hello,

I'm using both Pentax PK and Olympus OM systems for film photography and Canon for digital, hence Tamron adaptall's make a lot of sense for me. That's why I would like to ask you about Tamron's 20A 70-150 f/3.5 performance.
It's plenty of choice in that FL zooms but I've settled for great Kiron 70-150 f/4 one touch which ticks all the boxes for me: it's small, light, great performer, nice to use and cheap as well. However, it's in PK mount so obvious thing to do is to buy second one with OM mount, but other solution - Tamron's adaptall came to me.

Could any of you guys actually tell how the Tamron compare's to Kiron (or one touch Vivitar 70-150 f/3.8 which is the same lens)?
I would appreciate any opinions as well as some samples from Tamron 20A owners.

Also I would like to note that I'm aware of fantastic SP 51A 70-150 f/2.8 soft, but it's pretty rare and goes way higher than the afforementioned lenses Wink

Mateusz

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to say Mateusz that my impression of the 20A I picked up in a job lot is of a decent but rather unexceptional lens. Compact and nice handling though.
At some point I'll try to do a bit of a comparison with my SMC-M 75-150mm. Now that's a lens with a bit of a following....

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you looked at the 103A 80-210 tamron? It was a popular choice irc. I have the 20A 70-150 that came with another lens but its got a loose element. I've not touched it at all haha.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had 103A and it was good lens, but still worst than my Vivitar Series 1 70-210/3.5 Kirton version so I sold it. The main reason that I'm asking about 70-150 is it's compactness. I really like that Kiron 70-150 is light and 10cm long, so on long trips it pays up without losing quality.

Mateusz

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Tamron 20A is a reasonable compact lens, WO a bit soft. And , yes. quite somewhat smaller then the 103A.
I cannot compair the results with the Kiron, I don't have that one Sad
A portrait with the lens of my deceased friend:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hallo.

I have a 20A that I don't use much anymore, due to for me bad ergonomics with a NEX. It was rather nice on the A77 though.

One internal element had some sort of haze over half of it, but I saw no difference in image halves, so to speak.

It is as others have mentioned soft at f/3,5: but fine at f/5,6:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you guys for replies. However judging by those samples I must say that Tamron is not up to Kiron performance. Probably that haze, you've mentioned Spokklocka, actually spoils the quality, but I think I will stay with Kiron for now and probably will look for another one in OM mount as well Smile.

A few shots from the lens on Canon 600d:

Here's one shot wide open:

This one was stopped one click from wo, so it's something like f/4.5

At 150mm and f/5.6

At ~130mm and wide-open

Same composition, closed to f/5.6

Mateusz

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would recommend getting the Nikon Series E 70-150mm - it is razor sharp if you need this focal length from what I read.

http://forum.mflenses.com/75-150-nikon-e-versus-otheres-t35070.html
http://matthewdurrphotography.com/2012/08/22/lens-review-nikon-75-150mm-f3-5-series-e/
http://www.bythom.com/75150lens.htm

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stingOM: Well...maybe, but not in OM mount and that's the main point for me Wink.
As I wrote, I have Kiron in PK mount and thought of Tamron as universal for PK, OM and EOS, but Nikon only works with EOS which is irrelevant as I easily use my Kiron in PK on EOS Smile.

To be more serious, Kiron 70-150 is sometimes mentioned to be on par with this famous Nikon 75-150, especially Russ (Kiron Kid) was pointing that out on numerous forums, and I think he knows what he's saying.

I've never cared for Nikon lenses since it would mean I would end up in yet another system for film photography which I can't afford Wink

Mateusz

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a couple of Tamrons in that kind of range, the Tamron 70-220 mm f/ 3.8 Adaptall model Z-220 isn't a bad lens but it is a big heavy old thing, it does have a tripod mount though. I've had some good results from it but I have better zooms in this range and I rarely use this one. http://allphotolenses.com/lenses/item/c_1237.html

It's smaller brother the Tamron 85-210 mm f/ 4.5 Adaptall model Z-210 is I think a far better lens, it's smaller and lighter, has a detachable tripod mount ( often missing ) and a decent close focua / macro capability. I like this lens and use it more often than the Z-220. http://allphotolenses.com/lenses/item/c_1239.html - http://vkphotoblog.blogspot.co.uk/2012/12/tamron-zoom-macro-85210-f45.html

Both of these are older, more common, and cheaper Tamrons, both two ring lenses with internal zooming. There are better lenses for sure, but that doesn't make these bad lenses - especially the Z-210.

These are my Z-210 pictures on Ipernity.
http://www.ipernity.com/tag/294337/keyword/2397745
http://www.ipernity.com/tag/294337/keyword/2397669

Last edited by Lloydy on Wed Jan 14, 2015 7:42 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Lloydy, this Z-210 looks very nice, I mean your photos look crisp and very good, but it's quite big and heavy. It's lighter and a little bit smaller than Vivitar Series 1 70-210/3.5 but it's still a lot bigger than 10cm and 400g Kiron.
I've never used old Tamron adaptalls to be honest and that Z-210 looks good to try.

I think however that in small size and weight there is no decent Tamron, but I would love to someone prove me wrong.

Mateusz

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're after a smaller, lighter 70 210 zoom in OM mount I have got a more modern one touch Miranda MC Macro 70 210 f4.5 5.6 that I want to shift, I have tried it and from what I can remember it's OK. I'll try it tomorrow and post some pictures.

here's a few others from the Z-210 http://www.ipernity.com/tag/294337/keyword/2397745 which I think are far better.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PhantomLord wrote:
stingOM: Well...maybe, but not in OM mount and that's the main point for me Wink.
As I wrote, I have Kiron in PK mount and thought of Tamron as universal for PK, OM and EOS, but Nikon only works with EOS which is irrelevant as I easily use my Kiron in PK on EOS Smile.

To be more serious, Kiron 70-150 is sometimes mentioned to be on par with this famous Nikon 75-150, especially Russ (Kiron Kid) was pointing that out on numerous forums, and I think he knows what he's saying.

I've never cared for Nikon lenses since it would mean I would end up in yet another system for film photography which I can't afford Wink

Mateusz

I see..
What's wrong with Zuiko 75-150mm f4? Or you can go for Tokina 60-120mm f2.8 OM mount?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Lloydy, well, it's not that I'm after small zoom for OM mount, as I already know that this Kiron 70-150 is absolutely fantastic lens and I just get that in OM mount as well. However, I was wondering how Tamron 70-150 is doing in comparison as it could be for PK, OM, EOS or whatever you want.
For now, it's simple that if I would like to go light, I took Pentax ME Super with Vivitar 28 Close Focus + Kiron 70-150 and it's all round combo for hiking. If, however I could lift some weight I'm taking a few lenses in short FL and Vivitar Series 1 70-210/3.5 for a tele zoom.

I found one touch Vivitar 70-150/3.8 in OM which is essentially the same as Kiron 70-150/4, and it was £9 so quite cheap. I should get it around Sunday-Monday and I'm waiting to find if it's really the same as Kiron.

Thank all of you guys for your photos, opinions and help - much appreciated.

Mateusz

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stingOM I see you're missing the point. There's nothing wrong with Zuiko 75-150mm f4 or dozen other OM mount lenses in similar FL, however I wasn't looking for any 70-150 OM mount lens since I already found one that I like, which is very good and reliable - Kiron/Vivitar 70-150.
My question was: is Tamron 40A better/equal/worst than that and I asked only because one Tamron lens could potentially work as two lenses (one in PK and other in OM).
As opinions on Tamron are is that it's nothing brilliant I just simply went for already tested solution - cheap and very good Kiron/Vivitar 70-150 but in OM this time Smile.

Mateusz

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a nice lens, and a steal at that price. Very Happy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Lloydy, I thought it's a good price, but I bought Kiron 70-150 in PK for £4 Wink (although it had sticky aperture that I've easily cleaned).
Vivitar's copy was listed as in immaculate condition so we'll see Smile.

Mateusz

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just acquired the first adaptall 70-150mm the f3.8 cz715 to add to the collection. Neat little lens, same classy glossy looks as an adaptamatic. I'll try to check it out in the next few days, weather permitting