Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

75-150 Nikon E versus otheres?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 2:45 am    Post subject: 75-150 Nikon E versus otheres? Reply with quote

Just picked up a 75-150 series E nikkor and I am really pleased with the optics. However, Ive heard that there are other comparable lenses (made by kiron) that are lighter and smaller. I bought this lens specifically because I wanted something very light and small for hiking use on an FM2 - Any other recommendations?

My current plan was to use this + my 35 2.0 (AF) for outdoors stuff.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Series E 75-150mm f/3.5 has gained something of a cult following among portrait photographers because it incorporates all the most popular focal lengths used for portraits in 35mm photography, because it's a reasonably sharp optic, and because it could often be bought for a reasonable sum. Nikon also made a Nikkor 50-135mm f/3.5, which historically sold for more on the used market, but these days this doesn't seem to apply. It too was very popular for the same reason as the 75-150 series E, but was more sturdily constructed. I don't know dimensions, but it might be a bit smaller.

My listings show a Kiron 70-150mm f/4, but I don't know anything about it. Found a few on eBay. It sure sells for a lot less than the Nikons on eBay.

Vivitar also marketed two different 70-150mm f/3.8s -- one was a two-ring made by Kiron, and the other was a one-touch, made by Tokina. Size wise, it's hard to tell. Like the Kiron, the Vivitars are also quite reasonably priced.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooltouch wrote:
Vivitar also marketed two different 70-150mm f/3.8s -- one was a two-ring made by Kiron, and the other was a one-touch, made by Tokina. Size wise, it's hard to tell. Like the Kiron, the Vivitars are also quite reasonably priced.

At least three, actually. Kiron made two versions, one and two-touch. Tokina also made a two-touch TX version, which is a little more difficult to find.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive heard both the Kiron and Vivitar "versions' of the 70-150 dont exhibit zoom creep. However, the kiron is rated 4.09 and the vivitar 3.8. Is this really any different than the 3.5 of the nikon or just marketing?

Also, anyone know if the kiron / vivitar turn in the same direction as the nikons or if they are opposite?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kawasakiguy37 wrote:
However, the kiron is rated 4.09 and the vivitar 3.8. Is this really any different than the 3.5 of the nikon or just marketing?

The difference between f/3.5 and f/4 is only a third of a stop, so I wouldn't be surprised if the Series E really was a bit slower than advertised.

Quote:
Also, anyone know if the kiron / vivitar turn in the same direction as the nikons or if they are opposite?

Like most 3rd party offerings, the focus ring turns the opposite direction than that of Nikon (or Pentax). Although there are a few exceptions, only Tokina's own lenses were really geared towards meeting the exact specifications of the OEM.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There were all sorts of stories about the Series E 70-150 when it was being made. e.g. Nikon didn't make it (or any of the other E lenses), the first versions without the bright metal 'gripping ring' were inferior to the later ones, and neither of them were any good anyway. But the late Herbert Keppler writing in Modern Photography magazine said it was as good a 70-150 as he'd ever seen. And he'd seen a few.

The Kiron is a bit smaller, but not much lighter. I have one which is somewhat misted up and therefore lacking contrast, but I think a clean one would be excellent. However, I'd prefer the 70-150 Series E for myself.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tamron 20AB lens 70-150mm 3.5 is a nice rather compact lens IMHO. Close focusing (0.7m). A bit soft wide open, but closing one stop is sufficient to get a good sharpness.

Last edited by Minolfan on Thu Dec 23, 2010 2:55 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I´ve got both 70-150 E and 50-135/3.5 Nikkor. Both are very good performers, but the 50-135 is much bigger and heavier, 62 mm filter ring.

Here´s some 50-135 samples:
http://forum.mflenses.com/zoom-nikkor-50-135mm-f-3-5-ai-s-samples-t19421.html

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I think the Series E 75-150 is a good performer, but mine suffers from "zoom creep". And I heard many others also do Embarassed

C U,
Rafael

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've found many Nikon one-touch zooms to be really bad about zoom creep. My 80-200 f/4.5's zoom/focusig collar shows almost no resistance. Creep? Mine has acceleration! But you know what? It's not a big deal to me. When I need the zoom ring to stay put, I'll use either a wide rubber band or a piece of tape to keep it from moving.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea Im gonna use the lens mainly for hiking and walk around stuff, so almost all handheld. Zoom creep shouldnt be an issue. I have my 35 and 180 AF primes when I want to eliminate "zoom" creep completely Smile

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not just get a 135mm like the 135/2.8 AIS? It's compact and sharp
and close enough to a 75-150mm focal length +/- one step forward or back.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Specifically looking for a zoom. I already have three good primes so theyre out of the question. My 105 2.0 does everything I need it to for around that focal length

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're going to be very pleased with the results from your Nikon E 75-150 (made by Kiron, for Nikon) for Nikon. I prefer the considerably smaller and better built Kiron 70-150 lens. The two are completely different lens designs. However, the Kiron is smaller, better built and every bit as sharp as the Nikon equivalent. The Nikon E 75-150 is known for it's horrendous zoom creep. On a couple of occasions, I've tested them side by side, and upon glassing the negs and slides (10x loupe on light table) and perusing the LARGE prints made with them, I can see no difference in image quality. The Kiron comes with a dedicated lens hood too.

Russ (Kiron Kid)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have tried the one-touch Kiron version and the Vivitar made by Kiron, they appear to be the same basic lens underneath.

They are both very sharp but I find the focusing to be incredibly sensitive to the very smallest of adjustments, you really have to be very delicate with your movements to get a sharp image. I'm sure many an unseasoned user will have missed this and just assumed the lenses were soft.

I have also tried the Kiron made, Vivitar branded two-touch version which seemed to be just as sharp and a little bit easier to focus.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 7:05 am    Post subject: Nikkor 75-150mm zoom creep fix Reply with quote

Here is a fix for the Nikkor 75-150mm zoom creep:
http://photo.net/bboard/uploaded-file?bboard_upload_id=32348784

It's a very sharp lens, and performs very well with the D3 and D3x full-frame cameras.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fatdeeman wrote:
They are both very sharp but I find the focusing to be incredibly sensitive to the very smallest of adjustments, you really have to be very delicate with your movements to get a sharp image. I'm sure many an unseasoned user will have missed this and just assumed the lenses were soft.

Yeah, I guess they are, but hadn't noticed until my wife brought it up. Picked up a D40 for her, so I added a chip and contact block to the 75-150 (it really is a very nice match for the D40). First time out, she complained that it was too hard to focus.

I said, "You have to turn that ring". My comment wasn't well received.