Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Zoom-Nikkor 50-135mm f/3.5 AI-S samples
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 12:28 pm    Post subject: Zoom-Nikkor 50-135mm f/3.5 AI-S samples Reply with quote

This is a not-so-common (about 31 000 copies made between 1982-84) Nikon push-pull zoom, with a constant aperture at f/3.5. The design is rather complex, 16 elements in 13 groups. Perhaps that´s why the lens is not small and rather heavy at 700g. Filter size is 62 mm, and it has a non-rotating front thread which helps if you want to use a polarizer. The lens focuses down to 1.3 m (4.3 ft) and it has a macro setting at 50mm (1:3.8 reproduction ratio), but the 'macro' photo quality isn´t anything special.

The lens build quality is first class, all metal. Unfortunately, the zoom action is “wrong way around”, when you pull the barrel closer to the camera, the FL increases, which is against my instincts.

In my opinion, the lens is sharp and contrasty from f/4 upwards.

Here´s the lens on my FE body

Some samples

1. f/8

2. f/8

3. f/5.6

4. f/11

5. f/8

6. f/8

7. f/5.6

8. Bokeh at f/4 (135 mm FL)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good samples!.

My favs are #4, #7 and #8.

Regards,

Jes.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They're nice images. Do you intend using it on the FE? I imagine that would be a good combo.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

looks like an excellent zoom lens! good clarity in #4 and excellent kitty!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beautiful samples, these samples are shows any lens to good one.. Many thanks!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your kind comments.

@Martin: I have not tried with my FE. It has been standing idle, waiting for new light seals, but finally I found the time to install them.

Now I should buy a few rolls of slide film - and a scanner, of course. Smile

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am always surprised when old lens give you such a good performance.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very fine samples - long been one of nikon's hidden secrets. The biggest problem is a tendency for the zoom to "creep". They did not add enough damping material. Users commonly add tape or felt to improve the problem.

patrickh