Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Protest about Picture Widths
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 4:54 pm    Post subject: Protest about Picture Widths Reply with quote

tobbsman wrote:
Forgive me that few wider panoramas have 1100 pix lenght ...

I have made several polite requests in the past few weeks about pictures being posted which are too wide. In response to this Bob kindly posted a few sticky messages to ask everyone to stick to the 900 maximum.

In complete disregard of all this, people are STILL posting pictures which are too wide - deliberately in this case. And none of the administrators/moderators have done anything about it, not even a mention. This is selfish and disrespectful.

This is my FINAL polite request. Please stop doing it.

Last edited by peterqd on Fri Aug 22, 2008 10:08 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, only poilu has replied to this thread, but his message was later deleted. Of course I understand not everybody can see the problem. But it's a simple job for an administrator or moderator to check the size of pictures and resize them or delete them. I could do it but I don't have the privileges.

Less than 3 hours after I posted my request Ballu has posted a picture 1024px wide in his infrared thread.

Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will try to do something Peter, how can I restrict linked pictures and you are a moderator from now.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I deleted my post because I realize that in this case the author declared that his pics were too wide so everybody was aware.
I deleted my post thinking you didn't had time to read it
Welcome to our new moderator Very Happy

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sigh. Us flickr users will have to post the 500 wide versions from now on, which are too small to see anything.

Of course they can be linked to larger versions, which nobody looks at ...

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does the restriction apply to pictures hosted on another site? I thought the restriction was on direct posts. Embarassed Embarassed

patrickh

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

900px I guess a good compromise if any body want to post wider need to link instead if built into it. That is acceptable in my opinion.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
I will try to do something Peter, how can I restrict linked pictures and you are a moderator from now.

Thankyou very much. On this one occasion to show you that it's perfectly possible, I have resized Ballu's picture. I will carry on requesting that people reduce any over-large pictures themselves, but if they ignore requests they can expect the picture to be downsized.

ChrisLilley wrote:
Sigh. Us flickr users will have to post the 500 wide versions from now on, which are too small to see anything.

I'm sorry you feel that way but I'm sure you would prefer that people can see the whole of your picture on their screens rather than having to scroll across from side to side.

Why do you link to Flickr if it resizes your pictures? I make a separate 900 wide copy of my pictures and host them on my web storage. Alternatively you can upload a 900w picture directly from your computer to the forum using the upload button.

patrickh wrote:
I thought the restriction was on direct posts.

Patrick, the problem is that any large picture posted on the forum ruins the text wrapping. The size limit on pictures uploaded directly was an attempt to try to get people to stick to 900, but not everybody uses this facility.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I spent an hour to find how to possible automatically re-size linked images, unfortunately I didn't find good solution.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
I spent an hour to find how to possible automatically re-size linked images, unfortunately I didn't find good solution.

I'm sure you did Attila. I wouldn't know how to automatically resize pics either, but they do it on the other forum so it must be possible. But fortunately there aren't too many people who go over the limit and it's really easy to save an image, resize it and repost it using the upload button. Smile

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So problem solved for a while.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
So problem solved for a while.

Yes, I hope so. Thank you! Smile

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't understand what the problem with 900+ pictures is - all the formatting looks fine on my screen, and bigger pictures aren't cut or distorted at all. Am I missing something?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In lower resolution need to scroll a lot. You have big resolution so not affect you.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see no problems with resizing images before posting, I do it on a regular basis. + Congrats Peter!

Jim

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:

I modified a phpBB forum with some javascript to automatically resize large images. The resizing is crude -made by the web browser (often nearest-neighbour algorithm, not like a photoshop resize), but it works. I'll try to find the script again for you.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:

Attila or Napalm,

I use one on my IR group that only resizes pics over 900 wide or 1200 high.

email or IM me.

Jules

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
900px I guess a good compromise if any body want to post wider need to link instead if built into it. That is acceptable in my opinion.

I think it is to small.

ChrisLilley wrote:

I agree.

How old is the poll where this rule is decided?
This forum has become bigger and better over the last period and maybe it is time to make a chance away from the 900 pixel.

We are all people who love good image quality, I therefore doubt that the matter are concerning more than a fraction of us. The problem don´t exists from a wide 20" monitor, and with the prices why not just buy one Very Happy Wink
One thing is sure; the improvement will be bigger than any lens buy, if you are sitting on a monitor more the 3-4 years old.

Mabye a poll about monitor size would be a good idea, just to see if the 900 pixel has been overtaken by time.

Last edited by lahnet on Sat Aug 23, 2008 6:02 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lahnet wrote:
Attila wrote:

I think it is to small.

ChrisLilley wrote:

I agree.

How old is the poll where this rule is decided?
This forum has become bigger and better over the last period and maybe it is time to make a chance away from the 900 pixel.

We are all people who love good image quality, I therefore doubt that the matter are concerning more than a fraction of us. The problem don´t exists from a wide 20" monitor, and with the prices why not just buy one Very Happy Wink
One thing is sure; the improvement will be bigger than any lens buy, if you are sitting on a monitor more the 3-4 years old.

Mabye a poll about monitor size would be a good idea, just to see if the 900 pixel has been overtaken by time.

A poll is not necessary, research already has the job done.

Actually 900 is a very good size depending NOT on screen size but screen resolution of most monitors..

Currently, according to browser research.

(http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_display.asp)

the percentages are like this

1024x768 = 48% . . . Various custom sizes = 38% . . . . .800x600 = 8% . . . unknown res. = 6%

This is why when building forums I chose 900 wide also. In time it will get wider but at present 900 wide is optimum for most monitor’s resolution without scrolling.

Jules

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

naplam wrote:
Attila wrote:

I modified a phpBB forum with some javascript to automatically resize large images. The resizing is crude -made by the web browser (often nearest-neighbour algorithm, not like a photoshop resize), but it works. I'll try to find the script again for you.

Thank you!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fair enough Attila. I just don´t think that a stat over the average user is useful to us.

We are all people who have pictures as a interest and therefore have bigger and better screens than average.

I will respect the size, but I which for 1024. This would allow Flickr users to post direct from Flickr. 1024 would mean more pictures to be shared here on MF.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Henrik wrote:
I think it is to small

the problem is not the picture
if a picture is wider than 1024 pixels, it is simply cut and we have to scroll to see the right border
but some users write big story without a single 'enter'
then it is difficult to follow a text with scroll if a pic is wider than 900px
I prefer to use a lot 'enter'
I think the text is easier to follow
and it doesn't cause trouble if a pic is too wide
I propose we should forbid line of text with more than 200 characters Twisted Evil
now compare it with the following 'no enter' version

the problem is not the picture. if a picture is wider than 1024 pixels, it is simply cut and we have to scroll to see the right border; but some users write big story without a single 'enter'. Then it is difficult to follow a text with scroll if a pic is wider than 900px. I prefer to use a lot 'enter'. I think the text is easier to follow and it doesn't cause trouble if a pic is too wide I propose we should forbid line of text with more than 200 characters Twisted Evil. now compare it with the following 'no enter' version

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't forget that there is a column of set width on the left side of the forum panel which takes up part of the screen width and this (plus the width of the borders) has to be subtracted from the screen width resolution if you want to see the whole of a picture without scrolling.

I think it might be useful if I deliberately post a picture which is way too large in order to demonstrate what happens. This pictures is 1250 wide. If your machine is working like mine you should see that the right edge of the forum panel and the picture has disappeared off the screen. This also ruins the wrapping of text. I am making this paragraph deliberately long to show what happens. In order to read the text you have to scroll across the see the right edge of the frame, and then the left side of the picture disappears. By the way, I am using a 19" monitor set at 1280 x 1024 resolution. I could set it at a smaller resolution but then I can't read text easily, nor do my normal work with AutoCAD, because of my eyesight. If you decide to increase the size of pictures posted then you will be asking me to leave. Thank you for your understanding.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice sample Peter
now I reformat your text, much easier to read even with wide pic

I think it might be useful if I deliberately post a picture which is way too large in order to demonstrate what happens.
This pictures is 1250 wide.
If your machine is working like mine you should see that the right edge of the forum panel and the picture has disappeared off the screen.
This also ruins the wrapping of text.
I am making this paragraph deliberately long to show what happens.
In order to read the text you have to scroll across the see the right edge of the frame, and then the left side of the picture disappears.
By the way, I am using a 19" monitor set at 1280 x 1024 resolution.
I could set it at a smaller resolution but then I can't read text easily, nor do my normal work with AutoCAD, because of my eyesight.
If you decide to increase the size of pictures posted then you will be asking me to leave.
Thank you for your understanding.