Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Problems with infinity focus on A6000
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 3:32 pm    Post subject: Problems with infinity focus on A6000 Reply with quote

When I use manual lenses, I can only focus at shorter distance at lower f:nr. This problem occurs regardless of which lens and adapter I use. Can it be something wrong with my Sony A6000 camera, or is this a common problem? And will it be possible to meassure the flange focal distance without scratching the surface of the sensor?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What happens when you use AF lenses?

If those focus properly regardless of f-setting, then the problem isn't with your camera's flange distance and there's no reason to measure it.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 5:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Problems with infinity focus on A6000 Reply with quote

Eriksen wrote:
When I use manual lenses, I can only focus at shorter distance at lower f:nr. This problem occurs regardless of which lens and adapter I use. Can it be something wrong with my Sony A6000 camera, or is this a common problem? And will it be possible to meassure the flange focal distance without scratching the surface of the sensor?

i use a lot of manual lens with this body. no problem with fotga, k&f concept or no name adapters

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ADDCollector wrote:
What happens when you use AF lenses?

If those focus properly regardless of f-setting, then the problem isn't with your camera's flange distance and there's no reason to measure it.

It works properly with the Sony zeiss 18-105mm, so I don´t understand this. I have measured the lenght of the adapters and they have all the right length.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please give us a specific lens and mount,. Perhaps somebody will notice something.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some Sony E adapters are too thick.
I ran into one, an LTM, that I had to grind down by .5mm or so.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

visualopsins wrote:
Please give us a specific lens and mount,. Perhaps somebody will notice something.

I have tried it with Vivitar 28-90 Olympus mount, Vivitar 70-210 Canon mount, Promaster 60-300mm Nikon Mount, Nikon 28mm and Contax 135mm. All of them didn´t focus on long distance at lower f:nr.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

luisalegria wrote:

I have measured my adapters and they are not to thick.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eriksen wrote:
luisalegria wrote:

Infinity ?
With an adapter usyally the infinity symbol on your lens is beyond infinity .

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eriksen wrote:
luisalegria wrote:

What is that measurement, please?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

visualopsins wrote:
Eriksen wrote:

Yes, what's the measurement, and what did you use to measure, and how many lenses have you tested with it?
You should be using a Micrometer or Caliper, most adapters are just slightly too thin so the seller can guarantee infinity focus, it's quite rare to find an exact adapter, or one that is too thick, but it does happen.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

memetph wrote:

Infinity ?
With an adapter usually the infinity symbol on your lens is beyond infinity .

Exactly. Most cheap adapters focus BEYOND infinity, simply because they're a tad too short, i think the Chinese rather make them on the safe side of being useful.

So the question is: are you sure you can not reach infinity or are you focusing beyond infinity?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

visualopsins wrote:
Eriksen wrote:
luisalegria wrote:

Adapter Nikon: not same measure all the way around, varies from 28.62 to 28.82
When I use a 28mm on this I get a sharp picture at 5-6 meters distance at infinity level on the lens.

contax: 27.45mm at the thickest side

olympus: 27.97mm at the thickest

pentax: 27.44mm

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use A6000 for some time now and I've had only one problematic lens atached to it. The RMC Tokina 28mm 2.8 didn't focus to infinity but im guessing that somone have either modified the mount to fit M42 body or it have been reassembled wrongly.

other that Ive had no ussues with M42, C/Y, LTM, and Minolta MD adapters.

and you have to notice one thing. modern lens can focus way beyond infinity so it would be hard to assume if flange of your A6000 is correct.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've used a lot of MF lenses on A6000, and had a slight infinity problem only with the "beauty" Yashinon 200mm both on a K&F and a noname M42 adapters, probably because of the stuck auto-pin. Solved it with a Pixco macro-helicoid adapter, it's a bit shorter then normal.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TrueLoveOne wrote:

So the question is: are you sure you can not reach infinity or are you focusing beyond infinity?

Key question.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

woodrim wrote:
TrueLoveOne wrote:

Key question.

I can`t reach infinity. With the Nikon 28mm I can only reach 5-6 meters before the picture get unsharp.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eriksen wrote:
woodrim wrote:
TrueLoveOne wrote:

Key question.

I can`t reach infinity. With the Nikon 28mm I can only reach 5-6 meters before the picture get unsharp.

It sounds to me that you're focusing past infinity.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the measurements is correct, the adapter should be in the 'right' thickness.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I`m convinced that it must be something wrong with my camera. Are there any ways to reduce the flang focal distance in the software programmed in the camera, or must it be done mecanically? If the last alternative is the only option, what will the cost be for that?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have a Sony-branded AF lens which works and gives you focus at infinity?

If you do, its not the camera or mount.

I don't know about the A6000, but there are no software settings like that on my Nex 7 and Nex 3.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When using adapted lens do images match what was seen in viewfinder?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

woodrim wrote:
Eriksen wrote:
woodrim wrote:
TrueLoveOne wrote:

Key question.

It sounds to me that you're focusing past infinity.

Indeed. Infinity means that things the furthest off* in your scene are in focus, not that the entire scene is in focus. If nothing is in focus then the focus is beyond infinity.

*Further than the highest number of meters on the distance scale at any rate

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would you mind posting a picture of the lens attached to the adapter and camera please, this conversation is hurting my head and I wonder if we're missing something really obvious.

Another question, do you have another Nikon lens to try? it could be that your lens is at fault.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

itsfozzy wrote:
Would you mind posting a picture of the lens attached to the adapter and camera please, this conversation is hurting my head and I wonder if we're missing something really obvious.

Another question, do you have another Nikon lens to try? it could be that your lens is at fault.

I`ve tried with a lot of lenses and different adapters with the same result. The only adapters and lens I can focus beyond infinity with is a Konica to Nex adapter which is 21.2mm thick and that is over 1mm shorter than it should have been, so because of that I know there must be something wrong with my camera.