Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Problem with M42-EOS adapter and Adaptall-2 M42 ring
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 2:03 pm    Post subject: Problem with M42-EOS adapter and Adaptall-2 M42 ring Reply with quote

I have found that I can not stop down further than f/11 with the combination I have of M42-EOS adapter and Adaptall-2 M42 ring.

The M42-EOS adapter has the extra rim to stop the aperture pin, but it is not enough to get past f/11, for whatever reason.

The lens alone with the Adaptall-2 M42 ring mounted, stops down completely to f/32 if I press the pin by hand.

Solutions?

_

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you really want to use above f/11 ?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
Do you really want to use above f/11 ?

If the lens was normal or tele, I wouldn't, but being a wide angle, and offering a f/32 stop (which is not common), yes I would like to use it completely stopped down. In a wide angle image the details are so small that some diffraction doesn't make a huge difference. While being able to focus everything from close foreground to background can lead to some exciting landscape pictures.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see , I never used lenses above F11. Now it is clear, thanks!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
I see , I never used lenses above F11. Now it is clear, thanks!

An F/32 aperture when focused properly can get close to a quasi-pinhole camera effect (pinhole would not have glass distortion though).

Especially in historical cities, I like to have a foreground object in a wideangle picture. I feel it helps to "depostcardize" the picture and it can create a conceptual challenge.

_

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An example of what I mean:

http://www.orio.ws/temp/lux/slides/IMG_0860.html

_

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got it !

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Orio.

I think that there something wrong in your lens. I have verified on my 46A and 103A with M42 Adaptall-2 mount and M42-EOS adapter (mine too has the pin pushing ring) on an EOS 3 but everything works as it has to: I can close the diaphragm till f/32.

I'm sorry Sad

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

anbe wrote:
Hi Orio.
I think that there something wrong in your lens.
I'm sorry Sad

I don't think so, because, if I stop the pin manually, or if I mount the lens on a Praktica camera, it works ok.

Must be something else.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok. So, summarising:

1. the lens with the M42 Adaptall-2 mount can close the diaphragm till f/32 if you press the pin.

2. when you mount the lens on an EOS camera with the M42-EOS adapter the minimum value is f/11

3. if you mount the lens on a M42 camera (praktica) it works.

I think that, at this point, the last chance is testing the lens with the M42-EOS adapter but with the lens not mounted on the camera. Have you tried this?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

anbe wrote:

I think that, at this point, the last chance is testing the lens with the M42-EOS adapter but with the lens not mounted on the camera. Have you tried this?

It stops at f/11
Evidently the extra rim of the adapter is not thick enough to press the pin down completely.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes. The problem is the adapter. Sad

What adapter are you using?

Mine is like this Click here to see on Ebay and it seems very good.

It is heavier than other adapters as it is made by bronze and not aluminium. The thread seems machined with the right start so that the mounted lenses are centered on the camera (at least this is what happened with my tamrons and CZJ 135/3.5 mounted on my EOS 3).

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

anbe wrote:
Yes. The problem is the adapter. Sad
What adapter are you using?
Mine is like this Click here to see on Ebay and it seems very good.
It is heavier than other adapters as it is made by bronze and not aluminium. The thread seems machined with the right start so that the mounted lenses are centered on the camera (at least this is what happened with my tamrons and CZJ 135/3.5 mounted on my EOS 3).

I have one of the same manufacturer, but old type, without the extra rim. A great adapter. Unfortunately I use it less because of the missing rim.
Does this seller have a new type with chip also?
Because for wideangles of 28mm and less, non-chipped adapters are useless, because you just can't focus a superwide angle by eye on today's digital reflex screens.
I have one spare chip to glue, but I planned it for a contax adapter.
I need to find the seller who sells the chips only - I know he exists, I saw it once - but I didn't bookmark and so I lost him.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
Does this seller have a new type with chip also?

Unfortunately no. But, maybe, you can ask him if he is planning to sell them in the future or if he can find one for you.

Anyway these AF-confirm adapters cost a lot. Sad

Maybe it could be easier to find a Canon repair center and ask them if they have broken EF lens to sell so you can cannibalize the chip! Twisted Evil

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

anbe wrote:

Anyway these AF-confirm adapters cost a lot. Sad

Yes but they are indispensable.

anbe wrote:
Maybe it could be easier to find a Canon repair center and ask them if they have broken EF lens to sell so you can cannibalize the chip! Twisted Evil

Hey, that's a good idea!
I don't know if it'll work (don't know if the chips must be set to a precise value), but it could be worth trying.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You able to buy chip only without adapter and fix with glue on your fine old adapter, problem is find the right position. If not perfect it will not works.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To buy a broken EOS lens , I am afraid not enough.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio, is it not possible to place a packing of some kind between the adapter flange and the end of the pin when the adapter is screwed onto the lens mount? This would push the pin further in and so operate the diaphragm to full extent. Maybe a large washer would do it if you can find one of suitable size or even make one yourself from plastic or card.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterqd wrote:
Orio, is it not possible to place a packing of some kind between the adapter flange and the end of the pin when the adapter is screwed onto the lens mount? This would push the pin further in and so operate the diaphragm to full extent. Maybe a large washer would do it if you can find one of suitable size or even make one yourself from plastic or card.

It is very difficult to predict where the pin will be when the adapter is screwed in, and when it fully is, it's impossible to fit anything inside.
So, I'd call this impractical.