Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Pre-war CZJ Biotar 2/5.8cm
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 7:31 pm    Post subject: Pre-war CZJ Biotar 2/5.8cm Reply with quote

Yesterday I found here in local shop this heavy chromed-brass jewerly. For 60€ probably not an bargain, but I couldn´t resist to own this beautiful piece of history Embarassed.
Today was very dull weather, hope I could tomorrow add some pictures taken with this lens. Unfortunately it´s for Exacta mount, so I can reach only about 2.5m on my camera.
The lens is uncoated, but in overall good condition for its age.

CZJ Biotar 1:2 f=5.8cm Nr:2009138 (produced in 1937 according SN)

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow ! First one what I seen... You made a damn fine deal !Congrats! If you are bored I am ready to take any time Wink for this amount Laughing Laughing

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 2:24 am    Post subject: Re: Pre-war CZJ Biotar 2/5.8cm Reply with quote

[quote="BRunner"]Yesterday I found here in local shop this heavy chromed-brass jewerly. For 60€ probably not an bargain, but I couldn´t resist to own this beautiful piece of history Embarassed.
Today was very dull weather, hope I could tomorrow add some pictures taken with this lens. Unfortunately it´s for Exacta mount, so I can reach only about 2.5m on my camera.
The lens is uncoated, but in overall good condition for its age.

good item!I like it! Very Happy Very Happy

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats for this lens.
How many blades does it have?
I am curious to see some images.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I promise long time ago... here are some random images from this lens.
MF-addicted wrote:
How many blades does it have?

This first version has only 8 blades.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This biotar looks very cool.
Have you compared it with most recent versions?

i've seen the samples Smile
they look amasing !

BR,
Stefan

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations! That price is actually good. The pre-war Biotars are pretty rare.

The pre-war Biotars are...amazing. This was a pretty exotic lens. The formula is different than the post war lenses, as the lens surfaces next to the iris were curved so steeply, the blades actually form a dome, and are not flat!

I own several of these, and have repaired them (the top end pre-war Zeiss lenses used a whale oil based lubricant that gets particularly gummy after 75 years...)

The fit and finish internally is amazing. You can't see any machining marks. And there are perfectly concentric sleeves inside sleeves.

Don't open this unless you've some experience!

Here a snap of a tear down, showing the domed iris. You can see the full set here:
http://eggboy.smugmug.com/Other/Pre-war-Zeiss-Biotar-repair/9971144_6sUvc#681273065_WqJ4t