Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Portrait Contest
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Super Takumar f3.5/24 on Pentax K-x

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1Ds MKIII + C/Y Planar 85/1.4 [post proc done in silver efex pro]

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some Friends:

Canon 5D MkII, Vario Sonnar 28-85 C/Y. No PP

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

M9 + Summilux 35 1.4 ASPH. ->

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

M9 + Nokton 50/1.1 ->

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

M9 + Nokton 50/1.1 -> pp done in silver efex

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

M9 + Summilux 35/1.4 ASPH ->

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hari wrote:

I really like the bokeh on this shot. Great DOF.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Hari
Woow, very nice potraits! I love them!
You have both great lenses and talent Smile
I don't have both Wink
The second would be really great if the sharpness would sit correctly on both eyes.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

natebarnz wrote:
Hari wrote:

I really like the bokeh on this shot. Great DOF.

Thanks man! Very Happy

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ForenSeil wrote:
@Hari
Woow, very nice potraits! I love them!
You have both great lenses and talent Smile
I don't have both Wink
The second would be really great if the sharpness would sit correctly on both eyes.

Thanks man! Very Happy

I shot the pic at f1.1 - the dof is razor thin which is why only one eye is in focus and everything else is thrown into the bokeh side of reality

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the lady with the Summilux is just too amazing! I love her expression and the bokeh simply is from another world: the lines of the gutters and house fronts leading to the.. cathedral? The colors..phuuuu..even the plants on the front corners are just perfect, as if they were set up.
the B&W of the guy with the Canon, a real classic, love it!
The lady in B&W, a great photo too. Even though the one eye in focus is really hypnotizing I tend to agree with ForenSeil or would be curious how it was with the other eye in focus.
The one on the beach looks a bit dark. Could be my monitor, however I took the freedom, Hari I hope you don't mind, downloaded it to check it out and prefer a +20 to +25 of shadows in PS, the dramatic darkness of the clouds not yet lost.

we small guys have something to look up to.. Wink

humble Auto Takumar 2/55 on an equally humble Pentax K-x

best regards,
Andreas

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just started reading this thread, so far I only looked at the last page. Smile

Hari, the shot of the girl with the Summilux 35 1.4 ASPH is beautiful, looks like a painting. Kuuan, I really like your last shot: great expression, nice colors.

This is a snapshot with the nx10+nikkor 24/2.8, a bit strange but I like the haunting look in my daughter's eyes.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kuuan wrote:
the lady with the Summilux is just too amazing! I love her expression and the bokeh simply is from another world: the lines of the gutters and house fronts leading to the.. cathedral? The colors..phuuuu..even the plants on the front corners are just perfect, as if they were set up.
the B&W of the guy with the Canon, a real classic, love it!
The lady in B&W, a great photo too. Even though the one eye in focus is really hypnotizing I tend to agree with ForenSeil or would be curious how it was with the other eye in focus.
The one on the beach looks a bit dark. Could be my monitor, however I took the freedom, Hari I hope you don't mind, downloaded it to check it out and prefer a +20 to +25 of shadows in PS, the dramatic darkness of the clouds not yet lost.

we small guys have something to look up to.. Wink

humble Auto Takumar 2/55 on an equally humble Pentax K-x

best regards,
Andreas

Thanks Andreas! Very Happy

Unfortunately im not too well versed with advanced photo editing tools and i once did try my luck with Photoshop but i felt like a village idiot inside a UFO Laughing Im far from being very good at photography and im happy to listen to criticism/suggestions. Now that you mention it, yes, the picture does look dark and could use some brightness ... i'll see if i can manage this with LR

I have some nice gear now but till recently I was shooting with a Canon IXUS 5 which I bought almost 7 years ago - nice point and shoot and it still serves me well!

Here are some images taken with this little gem ->

I'm not claiming that the images above are works of art or even qualify as good shots ... just that with my little camera and Picasa i did manage to produce some images that made me happy enough to explore the world of photography

And im glad i took the red pill Very Happy

Andreas - your portrait shot of the boy is awesome! To me, portrait photography is capturing the essence of that person at that moment. And your picture totally nails it!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ludoo wrote:
I just started reading this thread, so far I only looked at the last page. Smile

Hari, the shot of the girl with the Summilux 35 1.4 ASPH is beautiful, looks like a painting. Kuuan, I really like your last shot: great expression, nice colors.

This is a snapshot with the nx10+nikkor 24/2.8, a bit strange but I like the haunting look in my daughter's eyes.

Thanks Ludoo!

Your picture is surreal to my eyes! the toy (?) in motion and the child standing still with a haunting look as you right said!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Luudo really haunting eyes there, and I fully agree with Hari, the blured weird animal fast caught my eye too, it seems to be hunting her, makes it quite spooky!

Hari point & shoot / small sensor cameras seem to do particularly well with insects, that is macros, for their deep dof. amazing the shallow dof in the other photos you go out of your's though!

this prompts me to tell a story around the theme of different cameras, photographers, and the final result ( before anyone misunderstands, it obviously does not, even in the slightest, have anything to do with the expertise of using top gear as presented in this thread )
last week I met a very nice guy shooting with a 5D classic together with an modern, stabilized AF zoom. it was sunset, he wanted to take my pic but they didn't turn out well. It was getting dark and he didn't know how to set his camera right, so he took out his small Panasonic P&S instead. These turned out great! the sunset was behind me and after his first trials, me being but a dark silhouette, I had suggested to use the flash.
Next day he came up to me a bit shaken, telling me that his 5D had broken. My remark that for low light he shouldn't have to switch to his P&S, for this is what he had used to do, but better learned how to use his good Canon had made him playing with it's settings. Great! but now, he complained, whenever he wants to take a picture the camera releases..much later. hm.. so I had to take that clumsy machine ( sorry guys ;- ) ) to find how to turn off the self timer.
the next day again he showed me a great, amazing good photo he had taken the week before. Kids full in action, amazing sharpness and detail on a face that had been moving fast, perfectly well focused. Something, if it wasn't a very very lucky shot, I couldn't do, usually wouldn't even attempt to.

cheers,
Andreas

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ludoo wrote:

Expression is everything in a portrait. In that respect, this one is a standout. It stopped me in my tracks, and made me wonder. I don't see the expression as haunting as much as I see it as an expression of all-knowing wisdom being leveled at you, the photographer, and letting you know that she knows what you know and a whole lot more, and that it is you who is the child -- in her eyes. Amazing it comes from a child -- and a beautiful one at that. Yes, the apparent movement of the toy provides a sort of mystery to the shot, which I also like, as if she is causing it to move without touching it. Well, maybe a bit haunting, after all. Cool

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooltouch wrote:

Expression is everything in a portrait. In that respect, this one is a standout. It stopped me in my tracks, and made me wonder. I don't see the expression as haunting as much as I see it as an expression of all-knowing wisdom being leveled at you, the photographer, and letting you know that she knows what you know and a whole lot more, and that it is you who is the child -- in her eyes. Amazing it comes from a child -- and a beautiful one at that. Yes, the apparent movement of the toy provides a sort of mystery to the shot, which I also like, as if she is causing it to move without touching it. Well, maybe a bit haunting, after all. Cool

thank you Ludoo for the captivating photo

one of the very best comments ever, thank you very much Mr. Michael
very Cool

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Michael thanks for the beautiful and insightful words. Comments like yours give meaning to all the hours we spend choosing gear, taking pictures, and visiting this forum.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Geez, you're welcome. I appreciate your kind words as well.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Canon 350D + Jupiter 11 135mm f4 (chrome M39 version) ->

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nikon 28mm Series E, Nikon D300

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I add another one, made with a Helios 58/2 wide open, and postprocessed with some vintage action in LightRoom (just to play, and because she felt old Smile ).

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hari wrote:

Superb. Sure, wonderful bokeh, but every aspect of this photo, including beautiful lady make it a great image.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

woodrim wrote:
Hari wrote:

Superb. Sure, wonderful bokeh, but every aspect of this photo, including beautiful lady make it a great image.

Absolutely.
This is a fantastic photography.
Hari, was it in Paris ?