Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Portrait Contest
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Luudo really haunting eyes there, and I fully agree with Hari, the blured weird animal fast caught my eye too, it seems to be hunting her, makes it quite spooky!

Hari point & shoot / small sensor cameras seem to do particularly well with insects, that is macros, for their deep dof. amazing the shallow dof in the other photos you go out of your's though!

this prompts me to tell a story around the theme of different cameras, photographers, and the final result ( before anyone misunderstands, it obviously does not, even in the slightest, have anything to do with the expertise of using top gear as presented in this thread )
last week I met a very nice guy shooting with a 5D classic together with an modern, stabilized AF zoom. it was sunset, he wanted to take my pic but they didn't turn out well. It was getting dark and he didn't know how to set his camera right, so he took out his small Panasonic P&S instead. These turned out great! the sunset was behind me and after his first trials, me being but a dark silhouette, I had suggested to use the flash.
Next day he came up to me a bit shaken, telling me that his 5D had broken. My remark that for low light he shouldn't have to switch to his P&S, for this is what he had used to do, but better learned how to use his good Canon had made him playing with it's settings. Great! but now, he complained, whenever he wants to take a picture the camera releases..much later. hm.. so I had to take that clumsy machine ( sorry guys ;- ) ) to find how to turn off the self timer.
the next day again he showed me a great, amazing good photo he had taken the week before. Kids full in action, amazing sharpness and detail on a face that had been moving fast, perfectly well focused. Something, if it wasn't a very very lucky shot, I couldn't do, usually wouldn't even attempt to.

cheers,
Andreas

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ludoo wrote:

This is a snapshot with the nx10+nikkor 24/2.8, a bit strange but I like the haunting look in my daughter's eyes.

Expression is everything in a portrait. In that respect, this one is a standout. It stopped me in my tracks, and made me wonder. I don't see the expression as haunting as much as I see it as an expression of all-knowing wisdom being leveled at you, the photographer, and letting you know that she knows what you know and a whole lot more, and that it is you who is the child -- in her eyes. Amazing it comes from a child -- and a beautiful one at that. Yes, the apparent movement of the toy provides a sort of mystery to the shot, which I also like, as if she is causing it to move without touching it. Well, maybe a bit haunting, after all. Cool

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooltouch wrote:

Expression is everything in a portrait. In that respect, this one is a standout. It stopped me in my tracks, and made me wonder. I don't see the expression as haunting as much as I see it as an expression of all-knowing wisdom being leveled at you, the photographer, and letting you know that she knows what you know and a whole lot more, and that it is you who is the child -- in her eyes. Amazing it comes from a child -- and a beautiful one at that. Yes, the apparent movement of the toy provides a sort of mystery to the shot, which I also like, as if she is causing it to move without touching it. Well, maybe a bit haunting, after all. Cool

thank you Ludoo for the captivating photo

one of the very best comments ever, thank you very much Mr. Michael
very Cool

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Michael thanks for the beautiful and insightful words. Comments like yours give meaning to all the hours we spend choosing gear, taking pictures, and visiting this forum.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Geez, you're welcome. I appreciate your kind words as well.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Canon 350D + Jupiter 11 135mm f4 (chrome M39 version) ->

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nikon 28mm Series E, Nikon D300

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I add another one, made with a Helios 58/2 wide open, and postprocessed with some vintage action in LightRoom (just to play, and because she felt old Smile ).

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hari wrote:
M9 + Summilux 35 1.4 ASPH. ->

Superb. Sure, wonderful bokeh, but every aspect of this photo, including beautiful lady make it a great image.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

woodrim wrote:
Hari wrote:

Superb. Sure, wonderful bokeh, but every aspect of this photo, including beautiful lady make it a great image.

Absolutely.
This is a fantastic photography.
Hari, was it in Paris ?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

woodrim wrote:
Hari wrote:

Often times when I come back to a photo it doesn't impress as much as first glance, but this one still impresses. However, I have more observations. The bokeh is the single most outstanding aspect of the photo; the lighting is what further sets this apart from the ordinary with the subject well lighted and the background in the shadows, but still well exposed. The railings emerging from the corners serve to frame the subject. I wonder about the overall composition since the lady's head is in the center of the frame, a usual no-no, but it still works very well.

I give credit ultimately to Hari, but wonder also how much of the IQ can be attributed to the lens and how much to the M9?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice shoot Hari. Very Happy

Did you use a light source, or was the background that dark compared to the subject?!?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This was a few years back using a Minolta XE-7 and Rokkor 50mm f/1.4 at unknown aperture with difusion filter. My bride on our honeymoon, lounging on a cruise deck chair. Kodachrome 64 most likely, then scanned with a very average all purpose scanner.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gaeger wrote:
Nikon 28mm Series E, Nikon D300

There are portraits and there are portraits that tell stories, or at least imply. What I see here is a woman taken out to a restaurant by one of her children. She has dressed well for the occasion as she has done all of her life. During a break in the discussion she gazes out the window and thinks about years past and how they've gone so quickly; she remembers past times with great fondness and pride and is proud of the family she has raised.

Wow, did I get a lot from that photo. Of course it could all be wrong, but that is what it told this viewer. Maybe I'm just getting old.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

woodrim wrote:
Hari wrote:

Thanks Woodrim! Very Happy

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Olivier wrote:
woodrim wrote:
Hari wrote:

Absolutely.
This is a fantastic photography.
Hari, was it in Paris ?

Hello Olivier! long time no talk ... how have you been my friend? this was shot in Colmar (Alsace) - lovely little rustic town!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

woodrim wrote:
woodrim wrote:
Hari wrote:

Often times when I come back to a photo it doesn't impress as much as first glance, but this one still impresses. However, I have more observations. The bokeh is the single most outstanding aspect of the photo; the lighting is what further sets this apart from the ordinary with the subject well lighted and the background in the shadows, but still well exposed. The railings emerging from the corners serve to frame the subject. I wonder about the overall composition since the lady's head is in the center of the frame, a usual no-no, but it still works very well.

I give credit ultimately to Hari, but wonder also how much of the IQ can be attributed to the lens and how much to the M9?

Thanks again Woodrim! if you'd like me to take some pictures with various lenses and send you the RAW files, glad to do so. Most of my M mount lenses are listed in my signature below.

setting aside any fanboy tendencies, i simply love the m9 for the simple tool it is. just switch it on, adjust 2 settings and off you go. i love the colors the sensor captures and though i do have some qualms about the camera, i'm very happy with it overall.

the camera did teach me a few useful lessons in photography ... of course, i could have learnt on a russian RF too but unfrtunately they dont do digital and im not cut out for film processing at home

initially i was shooting with this lens with a 50mm state of mind but now im finally settled in the 35mm capturing wider frames state of mind ... i hafta say the lens is awesome! here are some more samples if you're interested -> http://forum.mflenses.com/leica-summilux-35-1-4-asph-t38462.html

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hari wrote:

Hello Olivier! long time no talk ... how have you been my friend? this was shot in Colmar (Alsace) - lovely little rustic town!

Hello Hari.
I've been busy and alright. Thank you my friend ! Wink
It seems you had good times with friends.
Colmar and other alsacian towns are lovely. Alsace is famous for wine and good meals. I hope you enjoyed your stay. Was the weather fine ?
Is this a subway entrance where you shot your lovely lady ?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nordentro wrote:
Nice shoot Hari. Very Happy

Did you use a light source, or was the background that dark compared to the subject?!?

Thanks man! no, didn't use any special lighting ... i imported the .DNG in LR -> used a preset "low key" (i think. not sure, don't have LR on this laptop) -> exported as .jpg

it was a peculiar street with buildings on both sides that bisected with some other streets resulting in some dark spots and some bright spots - which is why the church/cathedral at the end of the picture appears brighter than the buildings on both the sides closest to it and we were close to the beginning of the street which is why there is ample light on my gf

here is the original file. untouched, converted from dng to jpg and uploaded -> http://forum.mflenses.com/userpix/20117/big_2221_L1013999_1.jpg

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eos350D, Radionar 105/4.5 (softest setting) at f/4.5, 10.30 PM in the shadows:

Veijo

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

woodrim wrote:
This was a few years back using a Minolta XE-7 and Rokkor 50mm f/1.4 at unknown aperture with difusion filter. My bride on our honeymoon, lounging on a cruise deck chair. Kodachrome 64 most likely, then scanned with a very average all purpose scanner.

Talk about dreamy ....

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

M9 + Nokton 50/1.1 ->

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

M9 + Nokton 50/1.1 ->

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

'free hair cut' on streets of Saigon

S-M-C Takumar f1.4/50mm on Pentax K-x

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

M9 + Summilux 35 ASPH. [pp done in picasa] ->