Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Porst Color Reflex Auto 1.8 50mm Test
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The images look great on my monitor. Bright, sunny pics, with realistic
colors as per what Orio has been saying. Wink

Bill

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Katastrofo wrote:
Bill

Thanks.

Its not that I expect my pictures to be perfect (haha), but I would like them to be as I see them, or at least close as possible.

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps I should reinstall my programs and my profiles?! Unfortunatly I have no program with the ability to read embedded colour spaces at work. But I've looked at these pictures because of this discussion so often that I can see a difference immediatly: the colours here at work are looking much brighter?!?

Michael, more confused...

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Borges wrote:
Perhaps I should reinstall my programs and my profiles?! Unfortunatly I have no program with the ability to read embedded colour spaces at work. But I've looked at these pictures because of this discussion so often that I can see a difference immediatly: the colours here at work are looking much brighter?!?
Michael, more confused...

Just test your monitor at home with the image I published. If your monitor is too dark, you will notice from the image, and you will be able to adjust precisely. If your monitor is ok, then it's your work monitor that needs calibration.

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lahnet wrote:
Katastrofo wrote:
Bill

Thanks.

Its not that I expect my pictures to be perfect (haha), but I would like them to be as I see them, or at least close as possible.

I regret now having made any comments about your pictures, lahnet. I told you exactly how I see them (and despite the confusion about colour modes, fiddling with my screen settings and all the other well-meant help, I still do).

Something beyond my knowledge is happening here. This is the second series of yours where the pictures look over-exposed and the colours are pale on my screen. If it was due to my monitor settings it would affect everyone's pictures, including my own, but this isn't the case.

It seems to me that my PC (alone it would seem) is detecting something about your pictures in particular. I feel pretty certain it has something to do with the Adobe RGB (1998) colourspace, because I see a similar effect with my own pictures in that mode. However, without seeing your pictures in sRGB mode I cannot tell this for certain. If I ever get to the bottom of this I will let you know.

In all other respects the pictures are superb and the Porst lens has proved itself beyond any doubt.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone know who is the actual manufacturer of this lens. My one has "Lens made in Japan" text.

Works very nice with Canon EOS 400D as a portrait lens and also macro with extension tubes.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome! Nice to see you here!
Porst bought lenses from different Japanese third party vendors. Most of the time we can't identify the vendor.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I seem to remember to have read once that Porst lenses were made by Tomioka.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just some of them not all, I had really crap Porst lens.Most of the Porst lenses are crap only a few made by quality maker like Tomioka.
Another fact about 1.4 Tomioka lenses my Tomioka copy is weaker than equvivalent Nikkor or Zuiko.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

I had 3 Porst lenses (now I own only one, a 135mm) a 2.8/35 mm , 2.8/55 mm and the 2.8/135 mm. They were made by Cosina.

Here is a link with Porst products and brands (Carena):
http://www.kamera-geschichte.de/files/alle_kameras_uebersicht_d.htm

As you can see under the Porst name were distributet some well known brands: Praktica, Cosina, Chinon, Petri, Topcon, Mamiya, Fujica, Yashica and others...

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="montecarlo"]
Here is a link with Porst products and brands (Carena):
http://www.kamera-geschichte.de/files/alle_kameras_uebersicht_d.htm

Wow Cosmin, this is very useful, could you please post a specific message for this link on the Links forum?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is my test picture:

So you sent a fuzzy picture of a tomato?

No. Actually it is a pinhead that has a diameter about 2,5 millimetres. Taken with 55 mm extension. Not scaled and sharpness = 0.

Scaled original:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hei, kansalliskala! You bought this lens from me, didn't you? The world is small, I joined this forum few weeks ago Laughing

I sold it because I had two 50mm lenses for my Praktica MTL 5. I decided to keep Carl Zeiss Jena Tessar 2.8/50.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the composition of the whole image, and the range of colours.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kansalliskala wrote:
Does anyone know who is the actual manufacturer of this lens. My one has "Lens made in Japan" text.

Works very nice with Canon EOS 400D as a portrait lens and also macro with extension tubes.

Probably made by Chinon.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tested Porst against Canon EF 28-80 1:3,5-5,6 II. Why? Don't ask. But here is the result.

Whole page scaled:

Results:

So it is better to manufacture lenses from glass and metal instead of plastic and other transparent materials? Actually I have been pretty happy with this Canon. What you don't know doesn't hurt you? It is not a scientific result because the times were for some reason different Porst:1/800 and Canon 1/1600. Aperture 8, 100 Asa, no sharpness.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This result clearly shows to me a prime lenses almost all the time better than zooms.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
This result clearly shows to me a prime lenses almost all the time better than zooms.

Mostly yes!

But then this zoom lens is not a very good one.
I think a lens such as the 24-70 L would offer a much better quality - of course for quite a price!
And I am sure that my Sigma 17-70 or the Tamron 28-75 perform much better than this EF 28-80.