Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Planar vs Sonnar lenses from Zeiss
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 11:23 pm    Post subject: Planar vs Sonnar lenses from Zeiss Reply with quote

Hello, I know my question must be stupid, but could you answer me why Planar lenses usually two times more expensive then Sonnar? Does it mean that Planar two times better? I am asking because I just bought a 128mm 2.8 Sonnar and wondering maybe I should buy Planar instead? Embarassed

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not better , but faster. Faster lenses has premium price. Sonnar good as Planar take any of them what you can afford. In fact Carl Zeiss only the manufacturer what I know who has stable quality production line take any of them you will love it no exception.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also suggest looking at sample photos from each lens; personally I find the Sonnar bokeh more pleasant (smoother, less distracting) than the Planar bokeh.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a lot.
f2.8 is fast enough for me. I saved $200, so I could buy a new lens, or two Laughing

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a soft spot for Sonnar lenses myself. They tend not to be quite as sharp as some other lens designs but they have a nice round quality to the image - sharp merging into soft in a very smooth way. This is attributable to the way the bokeh looks and is perhaps associated with partially corrected spherical abberation.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterm1 wrote:
I have a soft spot for Sonnar lenses myself. They tend not to be quite as sharp as some other lens designs but they have a nice round quality to the image - sharp merging into soft in a very smooth way. This is attributable to the way the bokeh looks and is perhaps associated with partially corrected spherical abberation.

Yes, there's something in Sonnars... I love using Jupiter-9 at f/2.8-4 as it shows exactly the characteristics you described. At f/2 it't soft, and its bokeh is rather harsh though. So I guess the Contax Sonnar 85/2.8 would be perfect for this kind of shots.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

I like my Sonnars very much. They are not as sharp as planar, but they have a more pleasant bokeh. I use 85mm/f2.8 and 135mm/2.8 for portraits and macro with extensiontubes.
They can produce the famous 3D effect when used correctly.
Samples:

Sonnar 85mm/f2.8 app. f5.6

Planar 50mm/f1.7 app. f5.6

Henrik

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
In fact Carl Zeiss only the manufacturer what I know who has stable quality production line .....

But that's not really true of the East German Carl Zeiss family - certainly not towards the end of the DDR, anyway.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

scsambrook wrote:
Attila wrote:
In fact Carl Zeiss only the manufacturer what I know who has stable quality production line .....

But that's not really true of the East German Carl Zeiss family - certainly not towards the end of the DDR, anyway.

Yes, but I'm sure Attila meant Carl Zeiss (West) and not Carl Zeiss Jena. Because we all know how unreliable the postwar CZJ lenses are from a mechanical point of view...

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spotmatic wrote:
scsambrook wrote:
Attila wrote:

Yes, but I'm sure Attila meant Carl Zeiss (West) and not Carl Zeiss Jena. Because we all know how unreliable the postwar CZJ lenses are from a mechanical point of view...

I'm sure he did, but I mention it just in case member Mist might not be fully aware of it yet ... Wink

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As has been said.
Sonnars have a smoother yet less sharp rendering.
Take less sharp with a bit of salt. These lenses can be very sharp and render fine details with precision.
The look overall is more calm and has less *POP* than the Planar.
Sonnars also seem to cntrol flare better.
This is due to fewer glass to air surfaces and generally slower max apertures so smaller front glass.

For Portrait work I nearly always prefer a sonnar.
The Zeiss 1.5/50, 2/50, or 2/85 on a RF camera or 2.8/85 on reflex is a super portrait rig.
I skip the J9 although it is a sonnar. Simply don't get on well with that lens.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love my new Sonnar 135/2.8
Thank you all for your advises.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup that is the look Smile

Here is another comparison un interesting pics however.
Notice how nervous the Planar Bokeh is by comparison

Opton Sonnar 2/85 f4

Contax Planar 1.4/50 f2.8

Opton Sonnar 1.5/50 f4 (poor scan sorry)

Last edited by F16SUNSHINE on Thu Aug 27, 2009 9:04 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The differences in bokeh in above photos are more due to the 50 vs 85 than Planar-Sonnar construction. Comparing an 85mm with a 50mm lens for bokeh is not exactly fair to the 50mm...

Generally speaking, I find 35 and 85mm lenses have much better bokeh than fast 50mm lenses, and this opinion is based on Leica, Nikkor, Zeiss, CZJ, Canon and other brands I've used.

This is Planar bokeh @ f/2, lens is Planar T* 85/1.4 ZF

My Getty photo editor loved the bokeh so much they took it for sale on Getty, despite there being about 1 million bamboo bokeh photos on Getty already Very Happy. This same photo for purchase here http://www.gettyimages.com/Search/Search.aspx?assettype=image&artist=Vilhelm+Sjostrom

Another sample of Planar bokeh, same lens at f/2.8

Plenty of samples in large size here

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mureena/tags/planar8514zf/

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Esox
the first sample is really nice

from so close in with calm light any lens will make nice bokeh