Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Planar 2/100 with extension tubes
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 4:18 pm    Post subject: Planar 2/100 with extension tubes Reply with quote

I tested the Planar 2/100 with my contax macro extensions:

And here's the infamously defined "100% crop" Wink Not sharpened:

(click on thumbnail then again on large image if necessary)

Photos taken with 400D, available light.
_

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice result!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice result; now you have 2 dream lenses Wink

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now how are you going to beat that? Incredible lens.

patrickh

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

poilu wrote:
Nice result; now you have 2 dream lenses Wink

Well, it's not really like having the makro planar, because even with all the extensions, I can not reach the 1:1 enlargement. Also, the viewfinder becomes very dark with all three tubes attached. It becomes very difficult to focus. So, I would call this a "semi-macro" solution Wink

The good side of it is that there is no visible chromatic aberration - I really was expecting some, since this lens is not designed for close focusing.

In fact I think that the extension tubes can be more useful to get closer than the 1m focusing limit of the lens, but still, make normal photography. Like for instance, a tight detail of a face.
For serious macro, one still needs a real macro lens.

Now poilu, I would really be interested in seeing photos taken with the Makro-Planar, both macro and normal subjects. I talked with a shop owner, and he says that the Makro-Planar is as good in taking normal photos that it is in taking macros.
Really, if I didn't have this bargain at hand, I would have saved for the makro-planar instead of this lens.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyway, pretty impressive!!!
And now I know where your nice new avatar comes from. Wink

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LucisPictor wrote:
Anyway, pretty impressive!!!
And now I know where your nice new avatar comes from. Wink

Nothing gets by you, Carsten! Laughing

Orio, very impressive shots! Smile

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if I'm to much addicted to photographic gear because I find this picture so beautiful... Shocked

Michael

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Borges wrote:
I wonder if I'm to much addicted to photographic gear because I find this picture so beautiful... Shocked
Michael

Michael, I share your feeling, and I will add that personally, I find the design of the Pentacon 6 one of the most beautiful photocamera realizations. Really worth a place in the history of 19th century industrial design.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I would really be interested in seeing photos taken with the Makro-Planar

I have nothing for the moment but here is one with helios 44-2 from today to help you wait Laughing

http://img512.imageshack.us/my.php?image=helbetedb2.jpg

p.s: have you seen this one 230175254108 ; only Italian bidder Crying or Very sad

Last edited by poilu on Fri Oct 05, 2007 7:38 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't think so need any better lens! Excellent!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice, the Helios-44 is suited for macro work thanks to it's contrast

Quote:
p.s: have you seen this one 230175254108

Yes, 290 Euros for a West Germany copy is a great bargain. I paid my West Germany copy a little more than 300 and I thought I made the best bargain.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Banknote Test

Yes, the banknote isn't flat, and probably the camera isn't perpendicular.
Just for fun:

Full image resized:

100% Crop #1 (click also on big image)

100% Crop #2 (click also on big image)

always 400D
(note, even with my absolutely empyrical rough setup, the absence of geometric distortion)
_

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Orio
Very nice result
You have the canon EF_S 60 who is the best for crop camera. Of course is not FF.
You could compare banknote test on the 400D in the same condition to check what the contax can do with macro.
I am sure you have already a lot of lens who is great for macro. With a bellow like I get before yesterday your can go to 7:1 with your Mir1

p.s: I compare your banknote with one of mine and there a different. One must be false. Is the Italian or the Greek one Laughing Una faca una raca Laughing

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
Also, the viewfinder becomes very dark with all three tubes attached. It becomes very difficult to focus. So, I would call this a "semi-macro" solution Wink
For serious macro, one still needs a real macro lens.

In this respect, you'd gain nothing by the use of a "real" macro lens. Extension is extension whether built-in or with tubes, the light hitting the lens is dispersed on a wider area. Going from infinity focus to 1:2 corresponds to a one stop reduction in exposure, and going further to 1:1 means another stop - with any lens. A lens would have to be f/1.4 at infinity in order to be f/2.8 at 1:1!

You can easily verify this e.g. with the Volna: point the camera at close range at a piece of white paper large enough to cover the frame, adjust the exposure reading to zero at infinity focus, then set the focus at 1:2 and take another reading. It will be -1 stop. A Macro-Elmarit or a Macro-Planar will not make any difference here, alas.

Nice shot, anyway Smile , and if you found focusing difficult with that lens and extension, imagine trying to focus with a f/7.7 Rapid Rectilinear at 1:1, i.e. with a dim lens at an effective f/15.4 (PS. corrected this, originally I had a twice too small aperture value here) (an uncoated RR with 4 air-to-glass surfaces is about half a stop dimmer than a modern MC lens) - that's what I might try to do having remounted the VPK RR for use with the macro bellows I acquired for the Cooke.

Veijo

PS. to be exact, the effective aperture is the nominal aperture times 1+M, where M is the magnification. So for M = 1:2 = 0.5, we get 1.5x the nominal f-value (which is near enough equal to one stop = 1.4142 = sqrt(2), 1.5*2.8 = 4.2 instead of exactly 4) and for 1:1 we get 2x the nominal f-value so f/2.8 becomes f/5.6 and so on.

Last edited by vilva on Sat Oct 06, 2007 12:57 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

poilu wrote:
Hi Orio
Very nice result
You have the canon EF_S 60 who is the best for crop camera. Of course is not FF.
You could compare banknote test on the 400D in the same condition to check what the contax can do with macro.
I am sure you have already a lot of lens who is great for macro.

I already know that the Canon lens is better, but when I have time I can make the test anyway.

poilu wrote:
p.s: I compare your banknote with one of mine and there a different. One must be false. Is the Italian or the Greek one Laughing Una faca una raca Laughing

Listen, I don't know what's up with you, but I am tired of your racial humour against my country. I don't find it amusing.
I don't know if you are still angry because Mussolini attacked Greece but thanks God Mussolini is dead 62 years ago and nobody here except the few nostalgics would want him back because the first one to suffer from his tragic existence was the Italian nation which was destroyed.
If the reasons are other, I don't even want to know them. I have never cheated anyone in my life, and neither printed false banknotes, in the region where I live there is no counterfeiter, we never and we never will, we are honest people who work hard and with our work (not with cheating or printing false notes) in only 40 years we have transformed a country that was all ruins into the 7th most evoluted and industrialized country in the world.
I hope that I have been clear enough. I love Greek history arts and culture. My name is Greek. Please don't make me change opinion on a country that I love with your hostility.
I'm off the soapbox.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I don't find it amusing

Ok Orio, message received

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vilva wrote:

Nice shot, anyway Smile , and if you found focusing difficult with that lens and extension, imagine trying to focus with a f/7.7 Rapid Rectilinear at 1:1, i.e. with a dim lens at an effective f/15.4 (PS. corrected this, originally I had a twice too small aperture value here) (an uncoated RR with 4 air-to-glass surfaces is about half a stop dimmer than a modern MC lens) - that's what I might try to do having remounted the VPK RR for use with the macro bellows I acquired for the Cooke.

Yep, I read about your conversions. What is the advantage for you to do that conversion work? It seems to me that your RR and Meniscus were working great also in their previous installations.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
vilva wrote:
that's what I might try to do having remounted the VPK RR for use with the macro bellows I acquired for the Cooke.

Yep, I read about your conversions. What is the advantage for you to do that conversion work? It seems to me that your RR and Meniscus were working great also in their previous installations.

Well, there are a few of reasons. First of all, with the original remounting of the RR, I had some difficulty reaching infinity as I couldn't insert the lens quite deep enough within the Helios body, and I also suspect it was slightly skewed. The focusing of the remounted Meniscus has always been somewhat loose, and I would have had to take it apart anyway. Secondly, remounting the lenses on the bellows, I'll reach 1:1 or so if I feel like it. Also, it is much easier to use a lens hood, which is essential with an uncoated lens - although I've greatly ignored this necessity until I started experimenting with the Cooke. Also, I'd say that bellows focusing is much more accurate and has a much more positive feel to it.

Veijo