Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

PhotoSniper TAIR3 lens
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 8:01 pm    Post subject: PhotoSniper TAIR3 lens Reply with quote

Well, finally got to look at this remarkable piece of kit. I picked it up a while ago for £55 and haven't been able to open it until now. I think I didn't get a bad deal. Came with the Helios 44-2, filters, reusable film canisters, manuals etc and the massive TAIR3 PhS 4.5/300mm, all in the original hard case. Only thing missing is the two screwdrivers which fit in the lid. Anyone got these hanging hanging around spare?

Is the TAIR lens any good does anyone know? It has a downright weird focusing and stop down arrangement, being purpose designed for the photosniper, but being M42 fit, I am hoping to use it naked on my 5D Smile

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is a good lens , but quiet inconvenience with DSLR.

http://www.mflenses.com/gallery/v/russian_lens/tair/tair_3s-300mm_f4_5/tair-3s_300mm_f4_5-14.jpg.html?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i got a grey one sitting in it's metal case waiting to properly test it, but i did managed to use it with my oly e520 instead of the zenit with it's gun grip. using wire trigger.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Taïr 300 is good.
I don't have the sniper version but the 3A and the 300A :
http://forum.mflenses.com/tair-3-grand-prix-brussels-1958-4-5-300mm-t24853,highlight,tair3.html
http://forum.mflenses.com/tair-3-4-5-300a-sample-shots-t24831,highlight,tair3.html
http://forum.mflenses.com/tair-3-300a-f4-5-is-sharp-t27027,highlight,tair3.html

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also have the Tair 300, non sniper version, and it's a good lens. Not an easy lens to use, but capable of great results if you put some effort into using it.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always wonder if in this age of liability and seemingly diminishing freedoms, whether these photosniper lens designs draw all the wrong kind of attention to the photographer using them. Considering they so clearly resemble a weapon, I would think it would be most advantageous to attempt to use these in public. I have been hassled enough without my lenses looking like guns, I can't imagine what might happen when I raise this thing up to my shoulder. Anyone using these lenses encountered something like that?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the info guys. Certainly looks like it's worth having in my "arsenal". I shall have to try it out and report back....

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

martyn_bannister wrote:
Thanks for all the info guys. Certainly looks like it's worth having in my "arsenal". I shall have to try it out and report back....

Awaiting your pictures and feedback with great interest ! Smile

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, a white world on a grey day...........

Must admit, I quite like the handling of the TAIR 3 lens. It's heavy, but the focus arrangement when used without the rifle stock is very easy and intuitive. All these shots were at hand held at f5.6 except our new cat at f4

100% crop

A full set by aperture on Flickr

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

martyn -

where are you in the world? Send some of that snow to St. Louis, MO USA!!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow - you have some snow!

I had that lens and never got a sharp image with it. The Canon 70-200 L lens cropped gave a better image by miles.

The sniper is heavy and a pain to use. If you want a 300mm,.get a Tamron 5.6/300. Light, great sharpness and nice to handle. CA is noticeable though.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

justtorchit wrote:
martyn -

where are you in the world? Send some of that snow to St. Louis, MO USA!!

Portsmouth, England. You usually get it before us. It's different this year I guess.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

martinsmith99 wrote:
Wow - you have some snow!

I had that lens and never got a sharp image with it. The Canon 70-200 L lens cropped gave a better image by miles.

The sniper is heavy and a pain to use. If you want a 300mm,.get a Tamron 5.6/300. Light, great sharpness and nice to handle. CA is noticeable though.

Just a few inches of snow but, as always, it seems to stop us dead Sad

My example of the TAIR is a lot sharper than I was expecting, especially considering these were all shot through the UV-1 filter that comes with it Smile
Certainly a lens I will keep I think.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't get me started on the snow and England's ability to make a mountain out of a molehill!

That UV is fine. I kept mine when I sold the Tair and use it in a S1 Vivitar.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

martinsmith99 wrote:
Don't get me started on the snow and England's ability to make a mountain out of a molehill!

That UV is fine. I kept mine when I sold the Tair and use it in a S1 Vivitar.

Or me! My daughter is off school for the second day because the school is closed! Evil or Very Mad

The UV would probably affect the IQ less if I cleaned it properly Smile. As I say, I think I'll keep the lens though. The full set on Flickr weren't too bad.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

martinsmith99 wrote:

Already got me one of those as shown here

Few more samples taken today on Flickr