Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Petri C.C. Auto 55mm f1.8
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2020 8:52 am    Post subject: Petri C.C. Auto 55mm f1.8 Reply with quote

This is the Petri bayonet version.
A very capable lens
Tom

Some images at full aperture - others at f2 or so

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2020 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1 Like 1

Last picture is lovely!

Oldhand wrote:

Easy to adapt?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2020 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quite an underdog it seems. Smooth bokeh for F1.8. M42 version will now gain in value Wink.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2020 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Minolfan wrote:
Like 1 Like 1

Last picture is lovely!

Oldhand wrote:

Easy to adapt?

Awkward.
I took the mounting parts from a Petri bayonet teleconverter and added them to a slightly modified adapter for Fuji .
I don't have infinity focus, but the lens is good out to about seven metres.
I won't use it for landscapes, but for portraits and groups it works very well.
There are commercial adapters available but they are quite expensive
T

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2020 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the lens in M42, that's easy.
But I have got the 55mm 1.4 too, and that one has the bayonet.
Still laying here to adapt.
And no extension rings or teleconverter to take the mount from. Yet.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2020 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great lens, I sold my first copy, and regretted it, but I found another ( M42 ) and it's one of my favorite lenses, I shall hang onto this one. Wink

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2020 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1 Like 1 Like 1

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2020 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it the 7 elements Petri?

Carena cameras has the lens as Carenar 55/1,7 or 1,8 but seems to be the same like yours.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2020 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great samples, Tom, thank you for sharing! The OOF is very pleasing.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2020 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks fellas.

papasito wrote:
Is it the 7 elements Petri?

Carena cameras has the lens as Carenar 55/1,7 or 1,8 but seems to be the same like yours.

I really don't know.
Perhaps someone will have more knowledge of Petri/Orikkor/Kuribayashi, and be able to share.
Here are a couple of new images from today.
Chasing butterflies with a manual focus lens is ........difficult Smile
First is at f2 I think - the lens has clickless aperture
Butterfly is at f1.8
Tom

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2020 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1 Like 1

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2020 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A sleeper lens for sure, I got my first one many years ago and was shocked how good it was. Since then I've collected a few other copies, the M42 one is hard to find but I got one eventually.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2020 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great shots!

I have one named Exaktar in m42.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2020 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blotafton wrote:
Great shots!

I have one named Exaktar in m42.

I had some time ago an Exakta TL 1000 with the auto exaktar 55/1,7.

Really I never tried it.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2020 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really don't know.
Perhaps someone will have more knowledge of Petri/Orikkor/Kuribayashi, and be able to share.
Butterfly is at f1.8
Tom
[/quote]

That's weird....in my post above I said I bought another Petri to replace the one I sold, I actually bought two together, and they were identical and de clicked. My guess is they were done as a pair to be used on two cameras for video work, anyway, I sold one to a dealer friend who is going to re click it, and I'm perfectly happy with the other de clicked one.
Perhaps these lenses are getting a cult following with video guys?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2020 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lloydy wrote:
I really don't know.
Butterfly is at f1.8
Tom

That's weird....in my post above I said I bought another Petri to replace the one I sold, I actually bought two together, and they were identical and de clicked. My guess is they were done as a pair to be used on two cameras for video work, anyway, I sold one to a dealer friend who is going to re click it, and I'm perfectly happy with the other de clicked one.
Perhaps these lenses are getting a cult following with video guys?[/quote]

I am not a fan of clickless apertures, as it is difficult to know what aperture is in use by "feel" alone.
Interestingly this does give the aperture a flexibility, and in theory an aperture of f4.9 (as an example) could be selected, but I still find it a pain.
The Petri CC Auto 55mm f2 lens that I have is clicked and only has full stops - no half stops
Tom

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2020 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few more images made yesterday.
All at f1.8
T

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2020 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2020 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In a cheap lot I got some time ago there was a non-working Petri camera with this lens, in slightly fungused condition. It was mislaid somewhere due to the lack of the proper adapter.

Your post inspired me, Tom, to find and try the lens on a custom adapter. It is truly impressive, for its mild OOF as well as for the rendering of transparent surfaces which is always a particular test ground for any lens. I permit myself to add a couple of close distance shots to your splendid series, just not to create a doubling topic.

#1 WO

#2 WO

#3 at f2.8

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2020 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been avoiding to buy the petri adapter ,for its high price , and only have this same 1.8 version and the 135mm ,but I'm planning to use the camera mount on a M42 helicoid, even though I have no clue what's the reg distance for this lens.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2020 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very beautiful rendering Alex
Please continue to add images to this thread

kiddo wrote:
I've been avoiding to buy the petri adapter ,for its high price , and only have this same 1.8 version and the 135mm ,but I'm planning to use the camera mount on a M42 helicoid, even though I have no clue what's the reg distance for this lens.

According to https://www.graphics.cornell.edu/~westin/misc/mounts-by-register.html
The register distance is 45.5mm

I made an adapter using a teleconverter for the mount parts and a broken Fuji adapter that I had lying around.
Mine isn't perfect, but I can get from close focus up to about seven metres in focus.
No infinity on mine but I will mostly be using it for people and flower shots, so I can live with that.
Tom

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2020 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, Tom!

Kiddo, I used this kind of custom adapter which accepts many MF mounts thanks to a simple screw fixation and allows variations of the flange distance thanks to a simple "helicoid". They have for sure adapters for other systems than Nikon, as they have been producing this device for several years.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2020 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lloydy wrote:
I really don't know.
Butterfly is at f1.8
Tom

Perhaps these lenses are getting a cult following with video guys?[/quote]

https://spiral-m42.blogspot.com/2017/04/petri-camera-petri-55mm-f18.html has some information on the 55mm and on his site there is more information on some other Petri lenses. Among them more odd designs.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2020 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ernst Dinkla wrote:
Lloydy wrote:
I really don't know.
Butterfly is at f1.8
Tom

Perhaps these lenses are getting a cult following with video guys?

https://spiral-m42.blogspot.com/2017/04/petri-camera-petri-55mm-f18.html has some information on the 55mm and on his site there is more information on some other Petri lenses. Among them more odd designs.[/quote]

Thank you for the link Ernst.
Some useful information there.
It seems that the Kuribayashi CC Petri Orikkor 50mm F2 is the seven element design.
Tom

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2020 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldhand ,why did you have to point that the f2 is the 7 lens design? Now ,that I've still have no adapter ,will keep my eyes opened ,those f2 used to go pretty cheap . Do you think it matters the mount? Or doesn't matter ?