Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Petri C.C. Auto 55mm f1.8
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2020 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kiddo wrote:
Oldhand ,why did you have to point that the f2 is the 7 lens design? Now ,that I've still have no adapter ,will keep my eyes opened ,those f2 used to go pretty cheap . Do you think it matters the mount? Or doesn't matter ?

It is the early Orikkor that is the 7 element design if I am reading it correctly.
The later f2 is supposedly the same design as the f1.8 - ie six elements in four groups double gauss
T

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2020 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Following your invitation, Tom, I am adding here more samples taken with the nice Petri lens, at long distances. One of the points of my curiosity was to see how the lens performs in low city light, so several coupled shots of the same scene are included, wide open and at 2.8.

#1 At f2.8, PP (contrast, colour saturation)

#2 At f2.8, light PP tweaks

#3 At f1.8, light PP tweaks

#4 At f2.8, light PP tweaks

#5 At f1.8, light PP tweaks (contrast)

#6 At f2.8, light PP tweaks

#7 At f1.8, unprocessed

#8 At f2.8, unprocessed

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very beautiful Alex.
I think that this lens is quite splendid.
Here is a recent image at widest aperture
T

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you,Tom. Great is yours.

Impressed with the sharpness wide open. My copy gives softer and glowy shapes when w/o.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2021 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are some shots with the Petri CC Auto 55mm f2 in bayonet mount - not the earlier Kuribayashi model.
As far as I can see, this might be exactly the same lens as the 1.8/55 model
Both taken this morning
Tom

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2021 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldhand wrote:
Here are some shots with the Petri CC Auto 55mm f2 in bayonet mount - not the earlier Kuribayashi model.

I've had both apart, the front and rear single elements of the F/2 and F/1.8 lenses are a different diameter. Not definitive proof of anything, but points to a possible difference. I tried to swap out a scratched rear F/1.8 element with one from an F/2 but the F/2 element was larger.

The 55mm F/2 was the standard lens for the Penta V(2) after they finished using the 7 element lens. Early batches had the silver filter thread of the earlier lens, and were labelled Kuribayashi but not Orikkor. On following batches the Kuribayashi was omitted, then later the filter ring became a black colour. The 55mm F/1.8 doesn't really appear until the Penta V3 around 1964, this leads me to believe it was a further development or evolution of the F/2 model, not just an identical lens with the F/2 being artificially restricted.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2022 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alun Thomas wrote:
Oldhand wrote:

I've had both apart, the front and rear single elements of the F/2 and F/1.8 lenses are a different diameter. Not definitive proof of anything, but points to a possible difference. I tried to swap out a scratched rear F/1.8 element with one from an F/2 but the F/2 element was larger.

The 55mm F/2 was the standard lens for the Penta V(2) after they finished using the 7 element lens. Early batches had the silver filter thread of the earlier lens, and were labelled Kuribayashi but not Orikkor. On following batches the Kuribayashi was omitted, then later the filter ring became a black colour. The 55mm F/1.8 doesn't really appear until the Penta V3 around 1964, this leads me to believe it was a further development or evolution of the F/2 model, not just an identical lens with the F/2 being artificially restricted.

Thanks Alun.
That's valuable information.
Both lenses render so similarly too
Tom

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2022 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are a couple of shots at widest aperture taken recently using the 1.8/55
A lovely lens
Tom

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2022 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've come to rely on Oldhand and Papasito's recommendations and so got a hold of the Petri 55 M42 mount. I already own an older Petri mount which is also great but it has a clickless aperture and the custom mount is fussy. The M42 wasn't cheap but it is in excellent condition and the optics are stellar:

A7RII

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2022 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Advaita wrote:
I've come to rely on Oldhand and Papasito's recommendations and so got a hold of the Petri 55 M42 mount. I already own an older Petri mount which is also great but it has a clickless aperture and the custom mount is fussy. The M42 wasn't cheap but it is in excellent condition and the optics are stellar:

A7RII

Wonderful.
Congratulations. The clickless aperture can be a pain as it often finds its way back to fully open, but it is still a great lens
Tom

Here is a quick shot at about f2.8

And a crop from the above image showing the tiny spider

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2022 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With a little care in composition, the lens displays lovely sharpness and beautiful "painterly" bokeh.
Such an impressive lens for so little
Tom

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2022 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2022 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are a few more from this lens.
Most were shot at f1.8
The ferns at about f5.6

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2022 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe I missed it, but what camera are you using?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2022 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Advaita wrote:
Maybe I missed it, but what camera are you using?

I use my Petri lenses on a Fujifilm X-E2s with adapter.
Here it is
Tom

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2023 7:10 pm    Post subject: Petri CC 55mm f1.8: Very Under-Rated Bokeh Lens Reply with quote

photo taken with Petri CC Auto 55mm f1.8, @ f1.8, SOOC, zero post-processing, taken with sony a7II.
A very painterly bokeh lens; very under-rated and very affordable; surprisingly low-cost.
This copy has the petri bayonet mount, that i adapted to sony-E, with a home-made adapter that combines a petri macro ring set with bayonet-to-M42 mount and an M42-to-sony-E helicoid.
If anyone is interested, I'll upload a photo of the assembly.

regards, Jaros

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2023 8:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Petri CC 55mm f1.8: Very Under-Rated Bokeh Lens Reply with quote

Jaros wrote:

photo taken with Petri CC Auto 55mm f1.8, @ f1.8, SOOC, zero post-processing, taken with sony a7II.
A very painterly bokeh lens; very under-rated and very affordable; surprisingly low-cost.
This copy has the petri bayonet mount, that i adapted to sony-E, with a home-made adapter that combines a petri macro ring set with bayonet-to-M42 mount and an M42-to-sony-E helicoid.

regards, Jaros

Welcome Jaros

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2023 9:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Petri CC 55mm f1.8: Very Under-Rated Bokeh Lens Reply with quote

Jaros wrote:

regards, Jaros

welcome to best forum of manual lenses, i am curious about your adapter to sony, as i do have same lens in petri mount, waiting to be adapted, just like it´sbigger brother, the 135mm

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2023 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kiddo: this is the adapter assembly. the vintage petri macro extension ring adapter was hard to come by; it popped up on ebay about 5 years ago; haven't seen another one since.
regards,

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2023 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very good results indeed, I should take mine out some more!

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2023 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Foreground bokeh is also very pleasing with this lens:
Amerongen_19 by devoscasper, on Flickr

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2023 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are the petri mount and m42 the same lens?
Thanks.

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2023 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

caspert79 wrote:
Very good results indeed, I should take mine out some more!

Indeed, mine hasn't been out since last October. So here's an unseasonal Autumnal shot. Sony A7II with no PP other than RAW

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2023 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pabeu wrote:
Are the petri mount and m42 the same lens?
Thanks.

I believe they are. I bought the M42 one for practical reasons and because it regularly can be found on the Dutch market place.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2023 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today my M42 helicoid adapter arrived. Decided to couple it to the Petri CC 55/1.8 and make some bokeh shots!

PetriCC5518211 by devoscasper, on Flickr

PetriCC5518210 by devoscasper, on Flickr

PetriCC5518209 by devoscasper, on Flickr

PetriCC5518208 by devoscasper, on Flickr