Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Pentax Q and Cine Yashinons 38mm and 13mm f/1.4 (D-mount)
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 8:53 am    Post subject: Pentax Q and Cine Yashinons 38mm and 13mm f/1.4 (D-mount) Reply with quote

Both lenses are supposedly designed and manufactured by Zunow (the company was bought by Yashica).

The 13mm does not quite cut it on the Q, unfortunately. Look at the last picture! But it could be a good "flower" lens (for subjects dead center in the frame).

(For those interested: the D-mount Cine Yashinon Zoom which is used as the subject was manufactured by Zeika).

1. f/2.8

2. f/1.4

3. f/2.8

4. f/2.8

Last edited by Spotmatic on Fri Nov 25, 2011 9:11 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting Zoom Yashinon, I wonder how that one performs. The weak performance of the 13mm could be from using it up close (?). But oh well it shows much more on the further away shot which really takes me wonder...

Last edited by kds315* on Fri Nov 25, 2011 9:11 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Klaus, well the zoom was only the subject, not the lens used to make the pictures Wink

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had already changed that... Wink

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I saw that. But nevertheless I'm planning to buy another 13mm f/1.4 Cine Yashinon to see if I have received a dud. If not then I should look for another 13mm.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

seems the sensor of the Q is to big for this D-mount
maybe the lens will be usable if Pentax release a Q/2 with half size sensor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pentax-Q: 1/2.3" size - 6.17 x 4.55 mm ---> 7.67mm diagonal

8mm film format these lenses were made for:

(c) wikipedia

---> 7.04mm resp. 5.58mm diagonal

so they indeed were never designed to cover the whole Pentax-Q frame obviously!

Super-8 comes close, but best would be to go for lenses made for 16mm film format to be on the safe side.
There might be some which work nevertheless as some manufacturers at least at longer focal lengths provide more
coverage than needed. The only way to find out is by testing unfortunately...

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the additional details, Klaus!

Unfortunately I must cease with further testing as the Q suddenly freezes when a SD card (any SD card) is installed... Crying or Very sad

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ooops, I hope taking the battery out and making a full reset will clear that issue??!!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately not... (BTW it can only be shut down now by taking out the battery). Good thing there's warranty! Smile

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wishy you luck getting this solved soon! A great to test out
Pentax' service quality Wink

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't even know that you have a "Q", Peter! Shocked

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only since yesterday, Carsten! But sadly I think it must be returned for repair... Sad

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spotmatic wrote:
Only since yesterday, Carsten! But sadly I think it must be returned for repair... Sad

Yeah, I read that. What a shame! Sad

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is your experience Peter ? Did you get camera back from repair and use it ?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup, but not that much (as you know from Facebook Wink), although I got the itch just back Very Happy

It needs good quality lenses though. Also I find it unusable for extreme telephoto work because of the fact it's missing a mechanical shutter. So the rolling shutter effect plays a big role in that case (as you have seen in another topic on this forum). The Pentax K-mount adapter solves that problem (it has a mechanical shutter built-in) but it costs $$$.

If you buy it then by all means also get it with the 01 Standard Prime (8.5mm f/1.9) because it's SHARP and very useful!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Thank you!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems it needs high resolution lenses.

Perhaps the LOMO 16mm cine lenses will be suitable, they have resolutions in the 68-73lp/mm range and aren't that expensive, the wide angles are probably superb as I have a couple of the 35mm versions and those are wonderful on the NEX, no visible distortion and sharp right to the corners.

This 1.8/10 would be a prime candidate I think:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/kmz-okc3-10-1-1-8-10-lens-for-kinor-16mm-camera-/221040989212?pt=Camera_Lenses&hash=item337711d41c

This is the 2.8/18 for 35mm cine on the NEX-3:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spotmatic wrote:
Yes, I saw that. But nevertheless I'm planning to buy another 13mm f/1.4 Cine Yashinon to see if I have received a dud. If not then I should look for another 13mm.

I just bought a Yashica Cine 13mm f1.4. It came in the mail yesterday.
I'm sorry to see your pics are gone. The few shots I've taken with mine on my Pentax Q10 are okay, but not very sharp.

Tested it from f1.4 thru f8 and it doesn't seem to get much better. Lucky I only paid $5 for it.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

poilu wrote:
seems the sensor of the Q is to big for this D-mount
maybe the lens will be usable if Pentax release a Q/2 with half size sensor

The Yashica Cine 13mm f1.4 does fully cover the Pentax Q and Q10 sensor.
I don't have the Q7 or QS1 to test it on.

On the 1" sensor Nikon 1 cameras you get 2/3 rds screen coverage. Tho, max focus distance is a couple inches at the infinity mark.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Q7. I would recommend either the Fujinon-TV 1.4/12.5mm or the Computar 1.4/12.5mm, both are excellent.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
I have a Q7. I would recommend either the Fujinon-TV 1.4/12.5mm or the Computar 1.4/12.5mm, both are excellent.

Thanks,
I have the Fujinon, and I might have the Computar. Have to check. I've bought alot of TV lenses the last few years.

I also like the Computar 12.5mm f1.3.