Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Pentax M f1.7/50mm wide open on NEX5N
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 1:45 pm    Post subject: Pentax M f1.7/50mm wide open on NEX5N Reply with quote

Light and small are important for me which, besides others, were big reasons why I used to use Pentax *istDs and K-x and why I am using a NEX5N now.
Since it is smaller and lighter than my much used 1.4/50 Takumar and because I don't mind a bit of more dof when wide open which I like for round oof highlights, I had to give Pentax M1.7/50 a try. I have it mounted since a few days, here my first samples:

Pentax M f1.7/50mm on NEX5N in Saigon, all wide open in S mode with auto ISO:

#1 1/30 sec. ISO 1000

#2 1/25 sec. ISO 2000

#3 1/15 sec. ISO 2500

best greetings from Saigon,
Andreas

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very good results.
The first is my best choice.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice, Andreas!

This lens is a hidden gem and I also really like it.
It was one of my first lenses and I still have it. That says a lot. Wink

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks very good!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you everyone for looking and commenting Smile

ellepi wrote:
Very good results.
The first is my best choice.

mine too, usually I don't put the one I like better first but I it didn't feel right to start with incense and end with beer Wink

LucisPictor wrote:
Very nice, Andreas!

This lens is a hidden gem and I also really like it.
It was one of my first lenses and I still have it. That says a lot. Wink

when I bought it there also was a Mf1.4/50 for cheap which I also have been interested in comparing to my earlier f1.4/50 lenses made by Pentax, but knowing how much you, Carsten, like your f1.7 I grabbed it instead Wink
Of performance I can't find anything the small f1.7 is lacking, and as mentioned I even like the somewhat deeper dof wide open.
However I still have difficulties to get a fast, natural grip of the aperture and focus rings of any lens when mounted to the NEX via adapter, the focus ring of the f1.7 being more narrow is also more tricky.

Orio wrote:
Looks very good!

thank you very much Orio Smile

when I started using the NEX5N I still preferred the IQ of my Pentax K-x, but always remembered for how long I had problems liking the IQ of the K-x after upgrading from the *istDs. Being at peace with the IQ of the 5N took less time and specially at high ISOs it has an advantage. In my OP I had mentioned that I used S mode and the rather long exposure times, to avoid higher ISO, I had chosen. This was to show that a NEX can be handheld sturdily with rather long exposure times, #2 was from the lap using the LCD, #3 with the tilted down EVF ( not sure anymore abt. #1 )

best regards,
Andreas

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's an under rated lens. Razor sharp. Contrastful wide open. My to-go lens daylight. Best of all, very cheap, at least a year ago, not sure how price develope today.

Nice shots.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hoanpham wrote:
It's an under rated lens. Razor sharp. Contrastful wide open. My to-go lens daylight. Best of all, very cheap, at least a year ago, not sure how price develope today.

Nice shots.

Love mine to, pricing seems to be steady around the £25-35 here in the UK. Along with the Helios 44 it's a cracking lens for the money.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Colors in the third shot are lovely.

Edit: just noticed the high iso values you were using. Amazing results! Did you use any noise reduction software?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hoanpham wrote:

Nice shots.

thank you Hoan. Even on a NEX the M1.7/50 makes a neat, small package!

thank you noddywithoutbigears for looking and commenting

Yebisu wrote:
Colors in the third shot are lovely.

Edit: just noticed the high iso values you were using. Amazing results! Did you use any noise reduction software?

it were the colors of the 'scene' itself that prompted me to take the photo Wink
photos were taken in RAW and converted in LR with 'luminance' noise reduction applied on #1 +21 and #3 +30, non on # 2, 'color' noise reduction was left unchanged at default +25

best greetings,
Andreas

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

first one may be, second one was not wide open but I hope some of you may like these, so let me add these recent photos taken with the M1.7/50 also on NEX5n in Saigon

best greetings,
Andreas