Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Pentax-110 adaptor with a difference
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 6:47 am    Post subject: Pentax-110 adaptor with a difference Reply with quote

Feast your eyes Very Happy

http://www.rjcamera.com/ocart/index.php?route=product/product&path=20&product_id=50

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

interesting... those pentax 110 lenses are already starting to get expensive on ebay... this should push them up further Sad

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And I am still not sure if this additional diaphragm has perhaps a negative influence on the lens performance.
The position of the diaphragm influences the distortion of a lens.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LucisPictor wrote:
And I am still not sure if this additional diaphragm has perhaps a negative influence on the lens performance.
The original Pentax Auto 110 camera had the diaphragm in that position, so I hope they designed the optics with that in mind. Certainly with my waterhouse stops in that position, the lenses improve greatly over how they are wide open. The 18mm becomes sharp almost right into the corners. The 24mm is less good at the corners, even stopped-down, but there is some improvement at least.

I have ordered one, on the basis that I need to have different adaptors with different fixed apertures an at 30 quid each, it's too much.

I'll report how well it performs when it finally arrives Wink

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a good news, in my experience those lenses were not very good because they were only wide open. Stopped down a bit they may improve dramatically. Keep us posted Smile

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GrahamNR17 wrote:
LucisPictor wrote:
The original Pentax Auto 110 camera had the diaphragm in that position, so I hope they designed the optics with that in mind.

That's true.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ordered one too. This is great news! Wink

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine arrived today. I note that on some lenses, you have to set close-focus to get the lens on the first time. Then you need to focus out until lens stops before infinity. This is because the aperture mechanism is pushed too far in and lenses like the 18mm protrude into the camera body too far. With gentle but firm pressure, turn towards infinity so that is pushed the mechanism back in the mount (it is only pressed-in). Once infinity is achieved, you now have a fully working device.

There is more light-leak on this adaptor, so I cam going to fit a very small rubber O-ring in the rear of the adaptor. I'll let you know what size on Monday when I have tried some at work.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think mine arrived today as well, just need to pick it up at the post office Wink

Edit: Yes, I got it now! Very Happy

Well, looks like this could work. I wished the aperture had some resistance or click stops. It's very loose and you don't relly know what f number your at. It's just a stick connected to the blades.
But h**l yeah, it's better than nothing! Wink

I would start testing with my 18mm.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I would NOT recommend this adapter. I'm really disappointed, let me sum up why:

- It can't reach infinity focus at f/2.8 anymore, the construction is at least 1mm to long (I see a clear gap when pushing the adapters against each other)
- It can't really hit infinity when closing the aperture either
- Mount is to tight against the body
- Mount is to tight against the lens, I noticed a crack in the plastic of my 18mm after forcing it on Crying or Very sad
- The aperture solution feels cheap and the stick doesn't have any resistance or click stops
- The stick looks "home made" and have scratches and a sharp edge
- There's no visual feedback of f-number

For $75 this is almost as fraud in my opinion. If someone else got a better copy, let me now!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a comparison with 18mm lens:

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am in communication with them about the adaptor problems, which are mainly infinity focus and the stiffness fitting to camera. I'll let you know how it goes Wink

But they seem keen to resolve the problems Cool I am happy to work with them on this, as I am aware that being an "early adopter" comes with this kind of problem sometimes Laughing

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GrahamNR17 wrote:
I am in communication with them about the adaptor problems, which are mainly infinity focus and the stiffness fitting to camera. I'll let you know how it goes Wink

But they seem keen to resolve the problems Cool I am happy to work with them on this, as I am aware that being an "early adopter" comes with this kind of problem sometimes Laughing

I might have been a little rough in my disappointments. I also wrote them, and maybe a little to hard Confused

I agree with you Graham, if they can sort out the infinity problem, that's enough for me. It's very close to work, just 1mm or so. Keep me updated Very Happy

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an update, the adapter works properly now! Very Happy

I complained, and they sent me a new one, just perfect. They where also very nice and understanding.

I'll post some samples soon!
This is good news for the pentax 110 line-up Cool

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome Cool I hope to get mine soon too Very Happy

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First test, sharpness is stunning stopped down Very Happy
18mm lens

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This pentax 110 set has now runned up as my favorite travel kit Wink

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very good results

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about infinity focus? Did they resolve the problem?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark wrote:

Yes Wink

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark wrote:

Yes Wink

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 3:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Nice information. Please can anyone suggest me a mount for my Canon EOS too? i have 550D.. and EF or EFS mount for these lenses. Thanks a lot.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

groundlessfears wrote:
Very Nice information. Please can anyone suggest me a mount for my Canon EOS too? i have 550D.. and EF or EFS mount for these lenses. Thanks a lot.

You will get macro only with such an adapter. Pentax 110 lenses have a flange focal distance of 27mm, your Canon has 44mm. Only mirrorless cameras are suitable for these lenses.

Flange focal distance is the distance in millimetres between the lens mount and the film/sensor plane. if the lens were at 27mm you will focus on infinity. But at 44mm you will get only a few inches.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just wondered if you guys are still happy with thie rj adapter?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used mine two days ago Wink

http://manuellfokus.no/pentax-110-70mm-f2-8/