Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

PB-EF mount for Practicar users if you are a handy man
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 2:26 pm    Post subject: PB-EF mount for Practicar users if you are a handy man Reply with quote

DIY PB(Praktica Bayonet)-mount on EOS Rebel XT (aka 350D in Europe, Kiss DN in Japan) for people to
contemplating changing Prakticars to something else for newer digital SLR. This mount is not so convenient
like the other XX->EOS mount adapters, but it works perfectly without losing the infinity focus.

I filed off the perimeter of one PB-mount to fit the EF-mount tightly, and heated EF-mount very hot then
hammered the filed PB-mount in just like they do for mounting tire for locomotives. So I do not need to
glue it but used "Krazy Glue" it to EF-mount metal later just in a case.

PB-mount's flange distance is 44.4mm, luckily the depth of EF-mount to its bayonet is exactly 2mm, which
is the same as PB-mount's base metal thickness. So the filed PB-mount is basically sitting on the inside of
EF-mount at the three places. The small ridge on the PB-mount has 0.4mm high, so the final flange distance is
44.4mm. Very Happy Anyway see (same as in my HP)

Caution: You can implant this PB-EF mount to FF EOS SLR, but the majority of Prakticars will hit the mirror.
Actually the mirror hits the rear of the lens technically speaking when you focus close to infinity range.

Last edited by koji on Tue Dec 27, 2011 11:12 pm; edited 5 times in total

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks for sharing this important information! I hope with this trick we can save many prakticar lenses for future.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 10:04 am    Post subject: Re: PB-EF mount for Practicar users if you are handy man Reply with quote

koji wrote:
heated EF-mount very hot then hammered the filed PB-mount in just like they do for mounting tire for locomotives.

you took the EF-mount off the camera first? right?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent! A Prakanon Smile

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

YES! Koji made a new category in history Wink

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Farside wrote:
Excellent! A Prakanon Smile

Very Happy

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oooo, I've missed this one, really cool!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

missed this post ... but ... wouldn't it be easier to just use an adaptor?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hk300 wrote:

Koji ended up going that route, but his post about it http://forum.mflenses.com/pb-eos-adapter-pb-ef-adapter-t12569.html makes me think that the modified body is easier.

He had to shave the adapter some to get infinity focus, and you can't change lenses with the adapter on the body unless you mill out a channel on the mount. If you can get adapters made that don't have those issues, I think they'd be a hit around here. Smile

Plus, I really like my Minolta mount 20D.

Koji doesn't like the replacement mount solutions because they don't offer a lock on the lens. This doesn't matter to me, since I usually carry my cameras in a slingshot (bag), rather than on a strap.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

n6mod wrote:

He had to shave the adapter some to get infinity focus, and you can't change lenses with the adapter on the body unless you mill out a channel on the mount. If you can get adapters made that don't have those issues, I think they'd be a hit around here. Smile

I'm planning that but I'm really slow due to depending on just one mechanical engineer, so anybody achieves this is welcomed Smile

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hk300 wrote:

With an adapter, you don't get to use a hammer Twisted Evil

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Farside wrote:

Depends on the adapter. Wink

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

n6mod wrote:
Farside wrote:

Depends on the adapter. Wink

Laughing Laughing Laughing