Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Pancolar : Biotar : Oreston : Primoplan : Helios
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 2:52 pm    Post subject: Pancolar : Biotar : Oreston : Primoplan : Helios Reply with quote

Referring to the topic: http://forum.mflenses.com/6x-shootout-pancolar-biotar-oreston-primoplan-helios-t31237.html

Sharpness testing open wide, last daylight. Primoplan hitting my mirror so left out. Greyscale and resize. That car isn't moving - check pedestrians Wink.
Click on photo to get bigger version.

Zeiss Biotar 2/58mm

Zeiss Pancolar MC 1.8/50mm

Meyer-Optik Oreston 1.8/50mm

Helios-44-6 2/58mm

Helios-44-7 1.8/50mm

Last edited by Pancolart on Fri Sep 24, 2010 10:36 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From my eyes, Pan wins.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must agree. I'll do more tests but momentary it really seems Pancolar MC performs great when shooting distant objects.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't forget i am performing this test strictly with aperture wide-open. This is low light shooting (sun already down).
Average Exposure time: 1/300s / ISO 800. Sadly Oreston is also out since i didn't provide good shot.
Click on photo for large version.

Zeiss Biotar 2/58mm

Zeiss Pancolar MC 1.8/50mm

Helios-44M-6 2/58mm

Helios-77M-4 1.8/50mm

I could say Russians were beaten here though results are still very good.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for sharing, nice comparison.
Though it's a bit hard to compare sharpness here when the scene is not aligned.It's best to shoot on a tripod and later cut out 100% crops from center and edge...

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Pan may be technically most correct, but I love the rendering of the Biotar

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

symphonic wrote:
Thanks for sharing, nice comparison.
Though it's a bit hard to compare sharpness here when the scene is not aligned.It's best to shoot on a tripod and later cut out 100% crops from center and edge...

Thank you. I take shots easily if camera handheld. In my opinion such photos tell more then cropped and usually misfocused brick. AF confirm blinking is no guarantee that focus is on the right place with MFs. In this kind of test observer can found best parts and compare them. He can also see the mistakes made by photographer.

Bokeh and color comparison just added: http://forum.mflenses.com/6x-shootout-biotar-pancolar-oreston-primoplan-helios-v6-v7-t31237.html

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the Oreston got shorted.
Do-overs?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Pancolart.
I just received an alu version Biotar 2/58 and tried it on the 5D MkII.
The mirror hits the lens when I use a classic adapter ring.
I must mount it on a collar flange adapter, but in this case I can't focus on infinity.
Do you have the same problem ?

By the way, interesting comparison. Smile

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, Oliver, not with the version i used: http://forum.mflenses.com/6x-shootout-pancolar-biotar-oreston-primoplan-helios-t31237.html but that was one of the reasons to pick it. I also have sample you probably mean - with additional protective edge. My suggestion is have it removed on the half that hits.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't forget that such test can be influenced by how well the adapters allow lenses to reach infinity. So unless targets were focused in liveview and confirmed to all reach infinity correctly, there should be a caution in judgement.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pancolart wrote:
No, Oliver, not with the version i used: http://forum.mflenses.com/6x-shootout-pancolar-biotar-oreston-primoplan-helios-t31237.html but that was one of the reasons to pick it. I also have sample you probably mean - with additional protective edge. My suggestion is have it removed on the half that hits.

Well, it's part of the metallic M42 mount. So, I think I would have to sand it...

I agree with Orio about infinity focusing ability.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course. If you mean those panoramas, multiple shots were made with each lens and best samples picked. As i wrote above Primoplan did hit mirror thus excluded. Also i wasn't happy with acquired Meyer shots checking them full size at home (i was sure lens can do better) thus it was excluded too.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well this might be a valid way of comparing? I copied/pasted the first shots for pancolar and Oriston into photoshop and enlarged, and at max distance the pancolar was a bit sharper (well clearer).

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't forget it's wide-open test.