Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

P. ANGENIEUX F 35 1:2.5 RETROFOCUS is the best lens or not?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 2:14 am    Post subject: P. ANGENIEUX F 35 1:2.5 RETROFOCUS is the best lens or not? Reply with quote

Hi everybody,

My last post give me a lot of knowledges. I've more question about Paris Angenieux F35 1:2.5. exakta mount. How about the quality? I saw it on ebay.com, the price is 395 USD (not including shipping cost) do you think it's valueable? If I win, I need to buy exakta adaptor to Olympus 4/3. The adaptor price is 170 USD from the Kindai shop, Japan.

I've search the information of this lens on internet but it's too little to decide. Could you please introduce me for any detail of this lens?

Thanks a lot for all answer.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know the Angenieux 35mm, probably is very good but for that money, you could buy a Distagon 1.4/35 or a Summicron 2/35, both of which are faster and (much probably) better lenses.
And if you consider the price for the adapter, you would also end up saving quite a lot of cash.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't know there was an Exakta adapter extant for 4/3. But 170USD?
That seems awfully steep!

Bill

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 8:47 am    Post subject: Re: P. ANGENIEUX F 35 1:2.5 RETROFOCUS is the best lens or n Reply with quote

KhanX wrote:
I've more question about Paris Angenieux F35 1:2.5. exakta mount. How about the quality?

Angénieux lenses are good lenses but you can find better quality for less money elsewhere.

There is a buying frenzy on Internet with collectors (mainly from China) willing to pay big bucks for anything bearing the name Angénieux. The 35/2.5 in Exakta mount is famous because it was the first retrofocus lens for 35mm SLRs. Leave this lens to collectors and, as suggested by Orio, buy a better Zeiss or Leica lens for less money.

Cheers!

Abbazz

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Angénieux" - this name sounds like a thunder in the ears of some collectors. They are said to be legendary lenses, but there is always a considerable amount of myth in any legend. Wink

If you look at some test done by photo magazines in the 70s and 80s, Angénieux lenses did not outperform Nikkors or Canon lenses and did not get close to Leica and Zeiss lenses.

It's a bit like driving a Rolls Royce. A Mercedes is at least as good, but not as expensive. Still some people want to have the badge "Rolls Royce" at their car... Wink

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all reply.

I'll test it when I receive this lens from Ebay.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please, do not misunderstand us. An Angénieux is by no means bad! It is just a little too expensive. Wink

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your country is beautiful, please select nice subjects and share your results here. Many thanks in advance!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi , I own a couple of Angenieux M42 Lenses . They are very good , not more . In the 90/100 mm range , takumars 105 and 85 are better , and my 100 f/2,5 Rokkor too , but nor far away ... than the 2,5/90mm . In the 135mm focal length , Apo-Zenitar 135 , Takumar 3,5/135, J-37, are undoubtly over . The 135 is at the level of some oldies from germany , such as Schneider Tele-Xenar , Steinheil Tele-Quinar , Czj Sonnar . I compared 30 years ago A retrofocus angénieux 28mm vs smc-Takumar 3,5/28 . I bought the tak (brand new) , because the contrast was better , and colors more saturated .
So I left a second hand retrofocus (not cheap , 400 frf 1970 = 250 today euros ! )
I own a second copy of the 2,5/90 with some work to do on it (filter thread shocked, fungus, dust , helico?d grease completely dry , etc .... )
Yet , if you want the "nec plus ultra" , in 100mm range , what about a Kinoptik Apochromat f/2 100 mm ? a true legend in terms of overall quality . Price are far away from Angénieux .... ($2000)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice to see you here Helios! Thank you for inform us about these lenses. Personally I don't have any clue about French lenses.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I searched for a Kinoptic Apochromat once on Ebay. Found one, at the cost of about half of my car. Shocked I never searched since.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Older Angénieux lenses (First Exakta range, M42) are not among the bests Angénieux produced . It is said last Alpa and Exakta Angénieux range were better , but what about Kern and Leitz optics of this time ? I appreciate to own some .I think french optics can be very good to excellent . One of my first 35mm camera I used was a Foca PfIII (Leica III clone ) with a collapsible 3,5/50mm lens (did you say Elmar copy ? ....)
This lens was fantastic , I took dias with Kodachrome 25, and they are among the sharpest pictures I ever took . Some owners of Foca Universal with the Oplarex 1,9/50 say that this camera and lens give results as good as Leica M3 with Summicron. Yet this camera was a bit more expensive than a M3 ...
So , glory for Angénieux, Berthiot , Kinoptik ....

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Helios - welcome indeed. Oh no - now we pursue French lenses as well as Russian, German, etc?

patrickh

PS I will have to look but I think photodo had some resolution tests on an Angeieux.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Helios wrote:
Hi , I own a couple of Angenieux M42 Lenses . ...

Hi and welcome! Nice to have you with us.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the welcome , everybody ! I picked a portrait with Angénieux 2,5/90
http://photos1.blogger.com/hello/94/3348/1024/IMGP2303.jpg

Hope this url work . otherwise see my blog !

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is pleasant result, looks nice for portrait. I remember for your Pentacon 135mm zebra shoot in portrait action, that lens is my favorite.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank a lot for all comments.

Helios, you details is great for me. I'll take any comment of yours for me to decide before buy Angenieux lens.

Very Happy

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Helios wrote:
Thanks for the welcome , everybody ! I picked a portrait with Angénieux 2,5/90
http://photos1.blogger.com/hello/94/3348/1024/IMGP2303.jpg
Hope this url work . otherwise see my blog !

DANG this portrait is SHARP! Shocked
What camera did you take it with?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes , it is sharp . Anyway these two lenses (135mm too) are prone to huge flare until f/8 ! and this picture was made using a 60mm sunshade ....In the "sharpness" "tray" , SMC Takumar 1,8/85 is a bit more contrasty ... And for absolute sharpness , the 1,7 / 50mm SMC M and the 1,4A are undoubtly better ...
I took some pictures in 2002 at a weekly vintage show , and this picture is one of the most saturated I'd ever took (On film Agfacolor, scanned with sprintscan 35+ Polaro?d) I think the american lab did a good "saturation boost job" , the other picture are also very warm and saturated . Lenses I used this day were : smc takumar 3,5/28, 1,8/55 , and the Angénieux Y12 2,5/90 .
Angénieux lenses of my range are not perfect but near ... Mr. Green
Another tip : only alpa and exacta mounts provide automatic diaphragm . Other mounts such as Rectaflex, M42 , LTM39 (of course...) have only manaul setting ring , without any "click" ...

So , if I had the oppotunity to buy a third, fourth, fifth "Lens from Paris" , I 'll do so . The only problem nowadays seems to be the price .... Wink

Here the Angénieux Y12 :

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2018/2175855338_fe6f1c3359_b.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2382/2175843556_32313870ce_b.jpg

More pics on Flickr's....