Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Optik 85mm/1.5 M42 Cyclop H3T-1
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 8:18 am    Post subject: Optik 85mm/1.5 M42 Cyclop H3T-1 Reply with quote

Just bought this-

Click here to see on Ebay.de

I am anxious to try this, after hearing so many things about it in the long Cyclops thread.

Regards

Last edited by Kathmandu on Thu Dec 01, 2011 2:10 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats!!! Great deal! I did fix title, recent purchase is too generous, nobody will find later this thread.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well that is nice deal, and they have 4 more copies for sell:)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've ordered!Smile
http://www.ebay.it/itm/190598203021?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649
Do you think is a great bargain?Smile

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's funny they also sell the crappy one for double price: Click here to see on Ebay.de

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Crappy one", mean not good lens, right?Smile

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sinner79 wrote:
"Crappy one", mean not good lens, right?Smile

Exactly.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But Cyclop can only be used wide open?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sinner79 wrote:
But Cyclop can only be used wide open?

It has no aperture blades, but if you make a series cardboard disk to every apertures what you willing to use and you put into adapter when need to be stopped down you will have a complete lens on low cost.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
Congrats!!! Great deal! I did fix title, recent purchase is too generous, nobody will find later this thread.

Thank you, for fixing the title-you are right-I bought it after communicating with people here with experience.I hope its the real deal.

berraneck wrote:
well that is nice deal, and they have 4 more copies for sell:)

Thanks-they're not easy to find anymore, plus the seller seems to have good feedback rating.

sinner79 wrote:
I've ordered!
http://www.ebay.it/itm/190598203021?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649
Do you think is a great bargain?

IMO it is- its rare here in the States and expensive. KievUSA sells it with the infrared mechanism-which I have no use for. I hope they are selling clean copies Very Happy .

Pancolart wrote:
It's funny they also sell the crappy one for double price: Click here to see on Ebay.de

I saw that too with the protruding rear cell-or nipple . I am curious if that will work with M42 extensions ,and on mirrorless cameras like the Nex or Micro 4/3rds. If it does ,it might be a nice lens to have.

Regards

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
It has no aperture blades, but if you make a series cardboard disk to every apertures what you willing to use and you put into adapter when need to be stopped down you will have a complete lens on low cost.
...and you don´t have to stay with round apertures and make your own shapes of aperture..

http://www.diyphotography.net/diy_create_your_own_bokeh

Laughing

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

berraneck wrote:
Attila wrote:
...and you don´t have to stay with round apertures and make your own shapes of aperture..

http://www.diyphotography.net/diy_create_your_own_bokeh

Laughing

Laughing exactly! and you can make perfect rounded aperture like 1024 blades Laughing Laughing

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or you can send it to me and i will install fake Distagon bloated triangle aperture, in-between elements where it should be. Your lens will become F1.7 and sharper.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow none left- went pretty fast. They had 10 last evening when I bought mine. Very Happy

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The seller has relisted the items. 7 lenses available! Smile

I am curious about this Cyclops compared to Helios 40-2 at wide open. I assume that the Helios has better coating right? How about the sharpness at f/1.5? Could it be that Cyclops is sharper due to specificaly designed for f/1.5? (just my wild assumption)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have them both right now, a Helios 40 silver version and a Cyclop, to my eyes there are no differences in sharpness wide open, but i didn t test them one on one. Coatings are different. If you are intrested i can do a little test.

Tomas

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My feeling is, that this lens is IR coated, if I compare with the normal Helios 40-2 and has the blue part of the spectrum somewhat suppressed in favour of having better transmission in the red and infrared (IR). Long talk short, it will be yellowish. Please confirm if my assumption is correct.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the cyclop i have the front element has a light purple-blue coating, the next element inside has a "strong" yellow one indeed.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@tomasg & kds315* : thanks for the info.

I love my Helios 40-2. But sometimes I feel it's quite heavy Smile and unfortunately my lens was without tripod mount when I bought it.
If the IQ of the Cyclops and 40 silver is not much different with the 40-2, I am thinking to trade the 40-2 with one of them Smile
What is the weight of the Cyclops?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kds315* wrote:
My feeling is, that this lens is IR coated, if I compare with the normal Helios 40-2 and has the blue part of the spectrum somewhat suppressed in favour of having better transmission in the red and infrared (IR). Long talk short, it will be yellowish. Please confirm if my assumption is correct.

I have few Cyclops. Producers logo "flames" on some is turned up, on some down. Some in Cyrillic some not. Coatings some have exactly like on Helios 40-2, some more purple / bluish. No pattern whatsoever. I assume coating color only related to the level of alcohol intoxication of the person mixing the coating ingredients. Maybe time the lens was exposed to light (UV) play some role too.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cyclop 722 g, Helios 996 g, with tripod collar but the cyclop is also much thinner and way easyer to handle. I had the cyclop reserved for a local guy for some time now, if he doesn t take it then mine will be for sale. I ll let you know later today.

Tomas

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I have few Cyclops. Producers logo "flames" on some is turned up, on some down. Some in Cyrillic some not. Coatings some have exactly like on Helios 40-2, some more purple / bluish. No pattern whatsoever. I assume coating color only related to the level of alcohol intoxication of the person mixing the coating ingredients. Maybe time the lens was exposed to light (UV) play some role too.

This is what I love about Soviet lenses. We're all enamored with a Zeiss knockoff not even originally intended for SLRs, possibly made with at least some forced Eastern European labor by someone who almost certainly wouldn't have imagined that 40 years later, a bunch of (mostly Western) nerds would be discussing the coatings he may well have slathered on the glass half-heartedly in the middle of a 14-hour shift.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The lens arrived today-very well packed and hasslefree shipping.

I immediately put a spare rubber grip to help focus. Very Happy

First test shot.

Hasta la bamba

Last edited by Kathmandu on Wed Nov 30, 2011 2:14 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never seen this grip on classic Cyclop. Could be transitional model or added later.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pancolart wrote:
Never seen this grip on classic Cyclop. Could be transitional model or added later.

I put the grip on, after I received it.