Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Optik 85mm/1.5 M42 Cyclop H3T-1
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ForenSeil wrote:
Do you habe an MF-Check lens or any other digial zoom function on you camera?
Maybe it's only defocused. If wrong focus isnt the problem, open the lens (very easy) and look for loose elements.
My pics are looking sharper!

My Cyclop had marking (like the Cyclop from kds). Maybe there are different versions or different manufacturers (more likely).

I just had time to take a look my Cyclop and your suspicion might be true.
I observed at the rear element and it looks uneven (see photo #1 & #2)

I never disassemble a lens before so please guide me. There are rear screws and side screws?

Anyway I have to buy a tiny screwdriver first Smile

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nixland wrote:
ForenSeil wrote:
Do you habe an MF-Check lens or any other digial zoom function on you camera?
Maybe it's only defocused. If wrong focus isnt the problem, open the lens (very easy) and look for loose elements.
My pics are looking sharper!

My Cyclop had marking (like the Cyclop from kds). Maybe there are different versions or different manufacturers (more likely).

I just had time to take a look my Cyclop and your suspicion might be true.
I observed at the rear element and it looks uneven (see photo #1 & #2)

I never disassemble a lens before so please guide me. There are rear screws and side screws?

Anyway I have to buy a tiny screwdriver first Smile

The Cyclop is very easy to disassamble. I think you don't even need a "tiny" screwdriver!
You don't have to open the screws(? are all of them screws?) in the mount you showed.
You only have to screw (rotate) of the black ring in about the middel of the lens (can be done by hand)
Under this cover are 3 middle sized screws.
After you removed the screws you can rotate the helicoid until you have two parts.
Now the rear elements should be easily accessible

Last edited by ForenSeil on Mon Jan 09, 2012 2:21 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here I made a little tutorial how to disassamble the Cyclop 85mm F1.5 to get to the rear element.
It's the easiest lens I've ever opened Smile very "russian-style" Wink (easy but nearly indestructible construction)

1) Remove the cover in about the middle of the lens

2) First remove the 3 middle sized screws under the cover and after that rotate the helicoid like focusing closer...

... until you removed the mount

3) Now the rear element can be opened by screwing off the ring.

Behind the rear element it would be easy to attach a custom aperture

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@ForenSeil: Thank you very much for the advice and complete instruction. Very appreciate it. I'll do it right away Smile

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the last step, I can not screw the ring. How should I do it?

By the way it looks obvious that the rear element is uneven.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yesss! .... a success!!

I just press gently at the inclined part of the rear element and it's finally at the same level. Put it all back. Took a shot and ... it's sharp!! The severe glow and softness is gone!!

Thank you very very much ForenSeil! You're my saviour! Smile

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ForenSeil: Thanks for posting that detailed -dismantling procedure. You ever figure out how to fix the "waggle" as you so eloquently put?

Nixland: Glad to hear your fix was simple enough Very Happy .

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After some tests, It's official now ... I pronounce myself a Cyclopian! Smile ...

Love this lens! Quite unbelievable that a clunky odd looking black metal old lens can produce a lovely rendering image .. sharp and the color/contrast is quite good (no color cast).
And it's smaller and lighter than my Helios 40-2!
I haven't tested it outdoor and haven't compared it yet with the Helios 40-2, but from some shots I took it looks very very impressive.
I begin to think of selling my Helios 40-2 Smile

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now I wonder how is the performance of it's brother : Cyclop 85mm f/1.2.... Smile

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just found another problem. My Cyclop can only focus less than 10 meters.
Problem with my copy?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nixland wrote:
Now I wonder how is the performance of it's brother : Cyclop 85mm f/1.2.... Smile

I heard it's softer and has a longer focal length than stated
And it has a very long rear element, so it can be only used for cloeseups or on NEX or MFT
nixland wrote:
Problem with my copy?

I also have the same problem. At infinity it gets soft/does not reach infinity, only 15m or something. I think in my case it's a problem with my adapter.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ForenSeil wrote:
nixland wrote:

I heard it's softer and has a longer focal length than stated
And it has a very long rear element, so it can be only used for cloeseups or on NEX or MFT

Just found the sample images from this page and yes it looks super soft:

http://www.canonclubitalia.com/public/forum/85mm-f-1-2-Russo-su-corpi-Canon-t148296.html

I wonder if it was caused by uneven optic like my previous experience.

Quote:

nixland wrote:
Problem with my copy?

I also have the same problem. At infinity it gets soft/does not reach infinity, only 15m or something. I think in my case it's a problem with my adapter.

Thanks for the info. Glad to hear that it's not just my lens.
My friend said that his cyclop can reach infinity though I need to test it directly.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine reaches infinity, although I rarely if ever shoot it that way. I'm wondering about your solution to just push the rear element into place - that doesn't sound right. It should screw into place securely, so if yours can be pushed, it sounds like it isn't secure. My rear element was loose when I first got it, and while focusing was a challenge, it provided some interesting effects that disappeared when I tightened it.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

woodrim wrote:
Mine reaches infinity, although I rarely if ever shoot it that way. I'm wondering about your solution to just push the rear element into place - that doesn't sound right. It should screw into place securely, so if yours can be pushed, it sounds like it isn't secure. My rear element was loose when I first got it, and while focusing was a challenge, it provided some interesting effects that disappeared when I tightened it.

OK, thanks for the info.
Tonight I'll try to open the lens again and check if I can make any adjustment on the rear element.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have followed ForenSeil tutorial you might have just started to screw the system back on wrong place and lost infinity. In case only rear part wouldn't be screwed fully in you'd be shooting past infinity.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As said it a has very easy focusing mechanism, I think it's impossible that infinty get's lost during such a minimal invasive operation.
I'm pretty sure it's an simple adapter problem. Nothing to worry about.

Quote:

Such a stuck ring is well known problem to anyone who opened some lenses.
They can be found in nearly all lenses.
There are special tools to open such rings, for example this one:
http://www.micro-tools.de/en/Lens-Tools-oxid/Spanner-Wrench-Pointed-Imported.html
But in such a case a simple toothpick, screwdriver or a forceps should do the trick.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ForenSeil wrote:
As said it a has very easy focusing mechanism, I think it's impossible that infinty get's lost during such a minimal invasive operation.
I'm pretty sure it's an simple adapter problem. Nothing to worry about.

Quote:

Such a stuck ring is well known problem to anyone who opened some lenses.
They can be found in nearly all lenses.
There are special tools to open such rings, for example this one:
http://www.micro-tools.de/en/Lens-Tools-oxid/Spanner-Wrench-Pointed-Imported.html
But in such a case a simple toothpick, screwdriver or a forceps should do the trick.

Yes I think so. It's unlikely that the infinity problem is due to unproper way of putting back the lens because it has very simple mechanism. Just one screw tube.

I observed the lens rear mount and I saw that the inner side protrudes a little.

I try to use the black adapter instead of the cheap silver adapter and it can focus max 80-100 meters (I check the distance using google map)

Btw the rear element is unsecure, not firmed. Maybe this could be the other cause of losing infinity focus.
I'll try again to unscrew the ring as you has suggested above Smile

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally I had time to complete custom inserted aperture. It's somewhere between F1.7-2.5. Regular circle, nice matte material.
Samples made on bright winter daylight and around -10 Celsius thus i had to hurry Smile. Colors adjusted in post-production.

Next i will made fat triangular one (like Distagon). The lens above is for sale in marketplace: http://forum.mflenses.com/viewtopic,p,1207302.html#1207302

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks good!
Smile

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pancolart wrote:
Finally I had time to complete custom inserted aperture.

Be nice if you could share your modification , did you just put a cut board in front of the lens?- lovely images btw.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I put photo into marketplace but here it is too:

Aperture is placed in the middle, where it should be. I used some LF or X-ray aperture i had (those that are replaceable and of different sizes),
it's thin alu and matte. I just needed to trim a bit the outer rim to fit.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pancolart wrote:
I put photo into marketplace but here it is too:

Aperture is placed in the middle, where it should be. I used some LF or X-ray aperture i had (those that are replaceable and of different sizes),
it's thin alu and matte. I just needed to trim a bit the outer rim to fit.

Thanks for sharing- very nice idea /worksmanship. Very Happy

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very cool shots Pancolart!

By the way I dont have experience on opening lenses & no knowledge about lens design, so how did you disassemble or open the lens. The rear or front part?
Sorry for naive newbie question Smile
I am thinking of inserting the aperture made from film that resemble the Sony STF 135/2.8 with Gaussian bokeh Smile

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nixland wrote:
By the way I dont have experience on opening lenses & no knowledge about lens design, so how did you disassemble or open the lens. The rear or front part?
Sorry for naive newbie question Smile
I am thinking of inserting the aperture made from film that resemble the Sony STF 135/2.8 with Gaussian bokeh Smile

ForenSeil wrote:
Here I made a little tutorial how to disassamble the Cyclop 85mm F1.5 to get to the rear element.
It's the easiest lens I've ever opened Smile very "russian-style" Wink (easy but nearly indestructible construction)

Check previous page, all explained over there.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, I mean to open the front part. I already try to open the rear but Pancolart said he put the aperture on the middle. I thought maybe he put it from the front.