Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

One month with Bokeh Dwarf (Pentacon 2.8/100mm)
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 3:42 pm    Post subject: One month with Bokeh Dwarf (Pentacon 2.8/100mm) Reply with quote

In my quest of searching ultimate 100mm short tele (see here) I decided to gave a chance to my Pentacon 2.8/100mm electric which already laid three months on shelf.

For one month it stayed in my bag and I tried to use it as much as possible and here are some (better) results.
After the month I've get very comfortable with this lens and it's focal length.

First some quick observations:
+ BOKEH, it's really a cream machine.
+ very sharp already from f2.8.
+ tactile sharp at f4 and onwards.
+ good contrast.
+ natural colors (I still like Leica more for portraits, but very good).
+ control - I do like the stop down button much more than A/M switch. It's much faster to operate.
+ price - I've got my copy for 20€ with stuck aperture. Otherwise ~ 50-70€.
+ in good light conditions it shows some of the "3D" power of much pricey lenses.
+ low CAs. Only wide open in realy high contrast scenes.
+ small and discrete (only slightly longer, than Meyer or CZJ 50mm lenses).
+ did I mentioned the BOKEH?!

- micro-contrast is not on pair with my best lenses (Leica, CZJ).
- 6 blades aperture - it sometimes degrades the bokeh.
- bokeh CAs. But on pair with other non-APO and much pricey lenses in this focal length (Zeiss Makro-Planar 2/100 anyone?).

To sum it all, it's best Meyer (Pentacon) lens I have and I won't be probably far from truth when I say it's one of the best Meyer lenses ever produced.

First portraits (it's last Meyer portrait glass!):
@f2.8

@f2.8

@f2.8

@f2.8

@f4

@f4

@f2.8

@f2.8

@f4

Bokeh:
@f2.8

@f2.8

@f2.8

@f4

@f2.8

@f2.8

Other images:
@f4

@f2.8

@f4

@f5.6

@f5.6

@f4

@f4

10Mpx images for pixel-peeping:

Sharpness at infinity:
@f4

@f8

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice reviews & great samples! thanks for sharing

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great shots, love the poppies! There's not many examples from this lens on the site, so a great contribution Smile

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rare excellent lens , hard to beat.. Only trouble shitty mechanical built. Nice samples, especially greens.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice work. Mine just wouldn't focus properly so I cannibalised the mount for use in my Primotar 135. It's good to see that they are capable of nice results.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1 on thanks for a rare lens. At that price it was areal bargain

patrickh

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fantastic samples, really nice bokeh and sharpness is great. I like the photo with the lady in water and poppies.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all. This forum is great information source and has superb community. I'm glad, that I can contribute some valuable information.

Attila wrote:
Rare excellent lens , hard to beat.. Only trouble shitty mechanical built. Nice samples, especially greens.

I completely cleaned and relubed my lens. Now it's much nicer to use (unfortunately still not on pair with West Germany lenses).
Most Meyer lenses have very special green and blue tones rendering. And my Samsung likes them Cool

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really great lens and pictures!!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice series. I especially like the first poppy image.

You appear to have focused slightly in front of the eyes in the seventh photo... Wink

Best wishes, Kris.