Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Olympus Zuikos 21mm f2 the second a 90mm f2 macro
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 4:48 am    Post subject: Olympus Zuikos 21mm f2 the second a 90mm f2 macro Reply with quote

Hello all. Today I stopped in at a photo shop and found two lenses that are quite rare. Both are Zuikos and mint the first a 21mm f2 the second a 90mm f2 macro. The 21 had an asking price of $800 the 90 $650. Being unable to find a 21 on ebay I checked KEH and they are asking $1035 for one they have. The 90 is not as interesting to me although it looks delicious. I just bought the 90 summicron and have a 60 macro plannar and other macros. Does anyone have experience with this 21mm f2? Is it on par with the distagon 21mm 2.8 ? Is such a rare lens something to make a play at because it may be the only chance to do so. A good SW is the last thing to finish my kit. I have a Vivitar 20mm 3.8 and the sigma 14mm 3.5 neither is the end all super wide. Is the Olympus 21 worth going at or am I just a lens Junky? Confused Embarassed

Andy

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All that I know is that the Zuiko 18 has slightly better MTFs than the Distagon 18, and clearly better MTFs than the Elmarit 19.

As for the 20-21 focal range, we're of course speaking of different lenses. The Distagon 21 reportedly shines above all contendants for his sharpness and for the excellent corner performance, while the distortion (very strangely for a Contax lens) is soandso, bearing a S shaped distortion that is visible in architectural shots and not at all easy to correct via software.
Distortion-wise, the best lens to buy is the old Flektogon 4/20: not a match for the Distagon (and neither for the Nikkor 3.5/20) with regards to sharpness, but the best of all with regards to distortion, which is nearly non existent, better than several 50mm lenses!

As for the Zuiko 21, I don't have specific info, and neither how it compares with contendants, but being a Zuiko, I am sure that it must be a good lens - wether the absolute best or not, it's another matter.

-

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 7:40 am    Post subject: Re: Olympus opportunities ? Help your fellow lens addict dec Reply with quote

F16SUNSHINE wrote:
Does anyone have experience with this 21mm f2? Is it on par with the distagon 21mm 2.8 ? Is such a rare lens something to make a play at because it may be the only chance to do so. A good SW is the last thing to finish my kit. I have a Vivitar 20mm 3.8 and the sigma 14mm 3.5 neither is the end all super wide. Is the Olympus 21 worth going at or am I just a lens Junky?

Andy,

I don't have the 21/2 Olympus, but I surely would like to.
If you need to get convinced, just read this: http://www.16-9.net/lens_tests/21mm_7.html

Here is the first paragraph of the review:
OK. So everyone knows the best 21mm in the world by a country mile is the Zeiss 21mm, but not everyone can afford one, and not everyone can live with the awkward waveform distortion. So, what most people have come to realise is that the next best 21mm is the really very fine Olympus 21mm f2 and its near-identically performing f3.5 sibling.

It sounds like a mandatory buy.

Cheers!

Abbazz

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you both for the input. Abbazz I just finished reading this review, what timing eh? I wonder what is a proper price? Any input anyone? It is hard for me to know how to value it. The distagon 21mm f2.8 is the best for $2k-$3k. The zuiko 21mm f2 is #2 for $800 (at this shop) and his little brother 21 f3.5 is close behind in rating but sells for around $350-600 on ebay. There seems to be such huge disparity in the $ valuation of these lenses . It makes my head spin a bit. Confused

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meanwhile, I think that one should buy the best lens he can afford.

I used to be the "prince of bargain lenses", but this changed when I realised that I like to use those lenses more that I had to pay some real money for - not because of the money, but since the pictures are a bit better and the handling (haptics) are a lot better.
(I am not talking about lenses for several hundred bucks. House, family and cars prevent that, but there is an obvious difference between a Leica Elmarit-R 2.8/35 and a Soligor 2.8/35, although the Soligor is a decent lens and performance-wise the Elmarit might only be some percent better, like 95% instead of 90% of max.performance, but it feels and handles so great that it is much more fun to use.)

So, if the $800 don't hurt you and you really fell like having this lens, go for it. Sometimes a compromise can be a "foul" one.

Kadlubek's Lens Catalogue lists the Oly 21 for about € 500,- (but this is the 1991 edition) and the 2007/08 FM Second Hand Guide, that tells you how much a seller would give you for this lens if you sold it to him (so prices are rather low!), estimates this lens at about € 350,-. Most sellers try to get at least 150% of that price and this leads us back to about € 500,- which you would have to pay at a camera fair.

So I think $800,- are a reasonable price, not a brilliant one but fair (if the lens is in mint condition.)

If I had a Leica Summicron 2/90, I really would not bother about another 90mm lens, only if I the money did not count really. Just my 2c.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not to worry you but you have missed this one :

Click here to see on Ebay

But your's is cheaper than this one :

Click here to see on Ebay

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first one went for an incredible price!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Florent. That one that went for $350 was Buy it Now immediately after listing. I ran a search in US ebay last night and found none listed or Completed in last 7 days. That one finished early this AM. I'm glad you found this one. I will use this auction to help the seller of the lens I found lower his price for me. Thanks Smile

Andy

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This might also help you. Don't tell him that these are seller's prices. Wink

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carsten Thankyou very much Very Happy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, here is the update. I took the info that Florent and Carsten (thankyou so much) posted here to seller. After some chit-chat and a couple of phone calls. The price was established at both lenses for the price of one (quess which) or no deal. So now I have the 21mm f2 that I really wanted. The 90mm f2 I will give very close scrutiny against the Planar 85mm 1.4 and Summicron 90mm f2 and also the Planar 100mm f2. I can not imagine I will keep them all. It will have to wait until I have adapters for the Leica and Zuiko to EOS to test. The Zuiko 90 is very impresively built I can not imagine any build improvements it could receive. Honestly I feel a bit embarrassed by how many lenses I have purchased in this last month. Embarassed

Andy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! 21mm f2! I am jealous LOL! Congrats!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sunshine wrote:
Honestly I feel a bit embarrassed by how many lenses I have purchased in this last month

Don't be Sunshine, we are here to help you forget Rolling Eyes
Congrats!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

F16SUNSHINE wrote:
So now I have the 21mm f2 that I really wanted. The 90mm f2 I will give very close scrutiny against the Planar 85mm 1.4 and Summicron 90mm f2 and also the Planar 100mm f2. I can not imagine I will keep them all. It will have to wait until I have adapters for the Leica and Zuiko to EOS to test. The Zuiko 90 is very impresively built I can not imagine any build improvements it could receive. Honestly I feel a bit embarrassed by how many lenses I have purchased in this last month. Embarassed
Andy

They are all champions. Everybody will want these lenses. If you really can get two at the price of one, get them and resell them.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I knew I could count on you guys to help me rationalize this purchase, Thank You. I have only now to wait for the adapters to try them. Both lenses are in really mint condition. I could not find any reason to not grab them. As you point out Orio the worst that can happen is I can resell them, probably double the money. I will keep the 21 for sure. One of my 85/90/100 will go. I don't see a reason to be heavy in that focal. This 90 will be lens #7 in the 85-105 length for me plus, I also have a few 135mm's. I don't want to be a collector. It is to distracting from the time I have to make photos. Wink

Andy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think so I will have a chance to take any of these lenses. I would like to ask you a favorite. Please make 12 nice sample shoot with each lenses from exciting subjects and allow me to publish them in mflenses.com/gallery+make 1-1 photos from each lenses on white background. Many thanks in advance!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila
I would be happy to. I have another lens to do the same. The sigma 14mm 3.5 . I just have to sort out the adapter situation and then make a good shooting session. I will let you know when I have something together.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks Andy ! I look forward Sigma or any other samples too what we don't have in Gallery or samples are weak.