Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Olympic Sonnar 18cm f2.8 Military Leica
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 3:46 pm    Post subject: Olympic Sonnar 18cm f2.8 Military Leica Reply with quote

Today I met with my friend who is local merchant , he did gave me this lens to sell on Ebay.
It is made in 1941 in a very few quantities Leica museum said to him less than ten , perhaps 4 only. A Hungarian pilot who is fought in Luftwaffe hold it until he passed away and my friend bought from his family. It is amazing to see such a rarity in may hands, sadly I can't afford it.

http://forum.mflenses.com/carl-zeiss-jena-olympic-sonnar-18cm-f2-8-leica-military-t33669.html

Last edited by Attila on Wed Oct 27, 2010 2:20 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, can't wait to see the photos!
I hope you have the time to test it before you sell it.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:

I guess so, I expect long selling period due high price.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
Orio wrote:

Maybe I can borrow it until the sale if finnished? Wink

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anu wrote:
Attila wrote:
Orio wrote:

Maybe I can borrow it until the sale if finnished? Wink

Laughing It was not easy to take home and take out especially for shooting, huge responsibility to take care of it.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How much do you expect to fetch?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lot , a museum in Germany did offer 5000 EUR or a Leica M9 as replacement , but they also asked for many paperworks , permits from Hungarian Authorities etc so better to sell on Ebay.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Be careful with stuff like that, of which the first fakes turned up as early as sixty years ago - it is quite easy to damage a reputation over them. And even if it is real, these things do attract dishonest buyers. In your place I'd have it vetted by some expert at the very least. And overall it may be safer to sell it over a high profile auction as well, regardless of all paperwork.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sevo wrote:
Be careful with stuff like that, of which the first fakes turned up as early as sixty years ago - it is quite easy to damage a reputation over them. And even if it is real, these things do attract dishonest buyers. In your place I'd have it vetted by some expert at the very least. And overall it may be safer to sell it over a high profile auction as well, regardless of all paperwork.

Many thanks for good advices, I think I will not send out anywhere this lens, local pick up will be safe for buyers and for me too. At this price level I think no big deal to fly here and examine well before pay.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
A lot , a museum in Germany did offer 5000 EUR or a Leica M9 as replacement , but they also asked for many paperworks , permits from Hungarian Authorities etc so better to sell on Ebay.

If it were me, I would let the museum have it rather than a private collector. Regardless of paperwork.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw many items what Leica Museum sold to Arsenal Smile so don't believe it is better place than a private collection

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Full sized untouched samples taken with this lens are here.

http://www.mflenses.com/gallery/v/german/zeiss/sonnar/leica_military_sonnar_18cm/

Processed one are here

http://forum.mflenses.com/leica-military-olympic-sonnar-18cm-f2-8-l39-t33730.html

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Attila! Those shots are very impressive indeed. But can you help me to understand better just what the lens is . . . ? Is it in Leica rangefinder mount? Sorry if I seem a bit dim !

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome find. It made me wanna pay you just for letting me try it Smile. 5000 EUR auction start on Ebay. Reserved price Wink?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pancolart wrote:
Awesome find. It made me wanna pay you just for letting me try it Smile. 5000 EUR auction start on Ebay. Reserved price Wink?

Laughing

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scsambrook wrote:
Hi Attila! Those shots are very impressive indeed. But can you help me to understand better just what the lens is . . . ? Is it in Leica rangefinder mount? Sorry if I seem a bit dim !

Carl Zeiss Jena Sonnar 18cm f2.8 L39 (Leica RF screw mount) yes.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did not expect it to be that good!
The samples are impressive...

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
scsambrook wrote:

Carl Zeiss Jena Sonnar 18cm f2.8 L39 (Leica RF screw mount) yes.

Thanks for confirming that, a very nice thing to have. Altohugh way beyond my budget Sad