Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

old Tessar 50mm f2.8
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 3:14 pm    Post subject: old Tessar 50mm f2.8 Reply with quote

My cousin lent me this Tessar a few days ago. The lens is newer than Orio's Tessar, but it's also old (I think - first series 2.8/50). It's small and lightweight. Much smaller than Helios 44M-6. Filter screw is totally damaged (poor Tessar), but focus and aperture rings work well. Glass is clean, without scratches or fungus.

I took some test shots in late afternoon sunlight. I'm surprised - sharpness is pretty good at f2.8, bokeh also looks nice. It's only my opinion... look at these photos (taken at f2.Cool:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, second picture shows similar qualities as my lens Smile

I had a very bad experience with the last version of Tessar 2.8/50 - the black and green one. A real lemon.
But I am persuaded it was fault of lousy quality control in Jena factory in the Seventies, especially on standard low cost lenses.
I think that the old, aluminium versions of the 2.8/50 should be more carefully crafted and should have similar quality to the 3.5/50.
Of course by widening aperture there is the risk of compromising the performance wide open, but your cousin's exemplar seems to perform really well Smile
-

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with U, Orio - older East German products (lenses, cars etc.) probably were better, more durable than newer from 70's or 80's. My cousin's Tessar was made in 50's (certainly after 1952). I'll take more test shots this weekend Smile

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

niblue, the fact that it's new does not mean that it must be bad - it's just that amongst the newer ones there seem to be more chances of getting bad copies. This happens not only with the Tessar 2.8/50 but also with other Jena lenses such as the Flektogon 2.4/35, of which a number of very bad copies is reported.
I personally bought two copies of the Flek 2.4/35 and one was bad.
It's unfortunately the limit of the late Jena lenses. But the good copies, are surely just as good as the older ones. In the case of multicoated lenses, certainly even better.

-

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shit ! I once again edited the original post instead of quoting it!

Sorry Niblue! Sad

If you remember what you wrote originally, please rewrite your message.

-

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

niblue wrote:

Not to worry - it can't have been all that important anyway as I've already forgotten what it was! I think the pertinent part of my post is still in the quotes above anyway.

The funny part is that what you wrote is under my name and what I wrote is under your name Laughing

Gee I'm a disaster with those buttons... I even replaced the edit button with a red coloured one. It helped a bit but I still make a mess sometimes Mad

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For Flektogons you have a very good chance, being here in this forum: you can buy one from Attila.
Attila often has them for sale and he can tell you when he has a very good copy in his hand. That will be a safe purchase.

In any case, don't let the copy variation factor on the Jena lenses scare you away. The copy variation factor on the Jenas is still certalnly better than the copy variation factor that you risk when you buy a new Canon Tamron or Sigma autofocus lens. The AF forum messages are the living proof of that.

-

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
Attila often has them for sale and he can tell you when he has a very good copy in his hand. That will be a safe purchase.

I'll back that up!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tessar was the budget lens in CZJ product line so you can get really good ones and lemon too. I have many copies from them. Small ones like this and MC version are perfect from my copies, alu finish big one is lemon.

If you need perfect CZJ lens take any of variant of Pancolar 50mm that was the highest level in CZJ product line.I never seen any lemon Pancolar...

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice to read your posts, guys!
Attila - I'm lucky Wink "My" Tessar isn't a lemon, my other lenses are also quite good. I don't need Pancolar... but I'm dreaming of Biotar 75mm f1.5. I know, it's only dream Neutral I've never seen this lens in Poland. IMHO it's one of the most beautiful lenses - and also very good, fast and sharp. Some budget CZJ lenses also are interesting for me - especially one: Triotar 13,5 cm f4. Not for general use (the lens is rather slow) but for its beautiful, simple designed alu body and pleasure of use. I hope, I'll grab soon some interesting lenses.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have a chance to try a Pancolar I am sure you will take it.. Some reseller from Poland selling Biotar 75mm on ebay, so might be you will find locally. I have three copies from them one from USA two from local shops.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have different type of Triotars really old one and latest ones. Yes they are pretty, but not a quality champions.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
For Flektogons you have a very good chance, being here in this forum: you can buy one from Attila.

Look, here's one! Very Happy
Click here to see on Ebay
The price is also still quite low for such a beautiful copy, you should get it!

-

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

About 3 PM I took some new test photos. As you can see at my photos, the weather was really bad. I'll be waiting for better weather conditions Smile

f2.8; 1/100; hand-held

f2.8; 1/80; hand-held

Today the weather was better (WAS - because now it's raining again), so I took more test shots with my Tessar. The results are satisfisfacting. I think that "not the best sharpness" is partly caused by small size of sensor in my E-300. Unfortunately, a full frame DSLR is too expensive for me (~8000 PLN for EOS 5D body; my stipend is only 400 PLN/month). However, I like my E-300 and Tessar too Smile

F/3.5; bokeh looks rather nice

100% crop

some shots taken at F/3.5