Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Novoflex 400mmf/5.6 M42
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 12:55 am    Post subject: Novoflex 400mmf/5.6 M42 Reply with quote

I am planning to buy one, any comment ?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Orio,
I guess you want the Novoflex-System with it's pistol-grip for focussing?
Perhaps you take a look for the additional 600mm lens-head too: You can switch simply the lens/glass-section from the focussing section.
There is a guy on a german (Pentax-related) forum I'm in. I guess he wants to sell this as a package (not knowing how much to charge).
I have told him that I'll send the thread address to you - here it is:
http://forum.digitalfotonetz.de/viewtopic.php?t=33230&highlight=novoflex

Good luck!

Paul

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul wrote:
Hi Orio,
I guess you want the Novoflex-System with it's pistol-grip for focussing?
Paul

Nope, Paul. I'm not Attila. Actually, my ancestors and Attila had some troubles at the time. But we are good friends now Wink

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SmileSmile

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a long tele (5xx mm) from Leitz also for the Novoflex system.

In fact the system is a Base and different lensheads to be used on the same base. And of course the pistol grip.

The system uses a speed focus, you focus by pressing a trigger, not by turning a ring.

Guido

Last edited by Jigt on Wed Mar 21, 2007 6:40 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry Orio - I've been a bit confused.

edit: being not concentrated again....

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Novoflex stil makes these things!

http://www.novoflex.de/english/html/lenses.htm

Guido

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Novoflex lenses had a very good reputation and were used by all the press photographers before AF got going. They were very highly regarded by these toughest and best of pro photographers.
I have actually never tried one but the example shots I have seen are always good. Novoflex used a lot of third party lenses inc Tamron. The SP 60-300mm was used by them. With their own designs they always optimised central sharpness, reasoning that anybody using a telephoto used the centre of the frame. Only bad thing I have heard is that sometimes all the bits are not included in a S/H sale and the follow focus doesn’t work right. I would go for it if the price is. IMO good 400mm lenses are few are far between.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a chance to buy here in Hungary, price should 60 EUR with M42 end and fungus.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For 60 EUR even with Fungus it would be a good price for the fast-focussing pistol-grip.
The 400mm-lens-element is (if I remember corrctly) only a Triplet or 4-lens-element. If you are good in fine mechnica you may try to do the job yourself.

As for the optical quality:
A former collegue of mine has been a professional bird-watcher and those people used to use these Novoflex-teles before the better AF-System appeared.
Oh, he is still owning and using it although he has a very good AF-system now....

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Paul, if he still keep it that means not bad at all compare with new AF systems.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My new big gun is here Novoflex 40cm f/5.6 , "cm" says me this is pretty old one what means more valuable for me. Fungus just started to grow made some spots only. I curios really about focusing mechanism and how can I handle focusing and press shutter release button in same time Smile

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Omigosh!!!!!
If I walk around here with that thing, people will call the police and I will be arrested!!! Shocked Shocked Shocked

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hahaha, imagine I did with Tair-3S it has nice green metal box. Looks like I stolen from army. Laughing

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice buy. The lens is German (which means it can not be bad by definition!) and it is surely old! Why I say so? Because the focal lenght written in cms instead of mms, is a thing of the past. Nippon Kogaku used to do that, but they stopped even before they changed name into Nikon!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This means more valuable for me, I can't wait for testing.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It not focusing well, seems works, but not catch right focus. Any idea ?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
It not focusing well, seems works, but not catch right focus. Any idea ?

Take a picture where you have a lot of detailed things in the view, at all distances. Like for instance, a landscape where you have an object in foreground, then grass, then another object, then a house etc.
Then check the focus. If the lens is ok then here or there there must be something in focus. If nothing is focused then the lens is bad (like misaligned element).

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tested toyday, it has missing element a piece from barrel or a lens element. If I unscrew and split into pistole and lens part and I move toward lens element it makes focused image.If all piece together I can't make any sharp capture. I examined the lens it self I am not sure I can see two or three elements.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
I tested toyday, it has missing element a piece from barrel or a lens element. If I unscrew and split into pistole and lens part and I move toward lens element it makes focused image.If all piece together I can't make any sharp capture. I examined the lens it self I am not sure I can see two or three elements.

It does seem to be a common problem that bits are missing from these lenses. From the photo you posted it does look right, maybe it is just a mount problem? Can the mount be removed? If so you may be able to present the rear of the lens to your camera and get a better idea of whats going on. It could just be set up for another make of camera?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob Leslie wrote:
Attila wrote:

It does seem to be a common problem that bits are missing from these lenses. From the photo you posted it does look right, maybe it is just a mount problem? Can the mount be removed? If so you may be able to present the rear of the lens to your camera and get a better idea of whats going on. It could just be set up for another make of camera?

It has M42 mount I tried with Praktica, Nikon D-50 and Olympus E-1 no help. You made me a good idea about rear end, next time I will try Olympus without proper M42 ring. Seller has another one with Canon FD end if no help I will try to build a usable one from them.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I examine this lens it has no back lens only two front lenses can anybody help with an exploded diagram or other info ? I suppose my lens is not complete I found only two front lenses.