Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Nikon 24mm and Helios 58mm, what's next?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 12:54 am    Post subject: Nikon 24mm and Helios 58mm, what's next? Reply with quote

So far I've got the Nikon and the Helios (still keeping the Canon nifty fifty as well).
I'm thinking to something like 135mm to have a good range covered.
Any suggestion for a good, affordable lens?
I was thinking to the Super Takumar 135mm 3.5.
Is that lens good? Any better deal?
Main application is urban shooting, both photographs and videos.
Camera used, Canon 7D.
If I'm missing some more details, please let me know.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Vivitar 2.8 135 can be purchased for a low price and gives very good results.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mmelvis wrote:
The Vivitar 2.8 135 can be purchased for a low price and gives very good results.

Ah, but which one? I think Vivitar released various 135/2.8's from various lensmakers over the years.

Anyway, the Takumar 135/3.5 is renowned as an exceedingly sharp lens. I have the S-M-C version, and it's like a razor.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i would suggest Olympus OM 135mm/2.8 or 135mm/3.5. both are small and sharp

here are some samples from both of them:

http://forum.mflenses.com/testing-my-lenses-part-19-olympus-135mm-2-8-t36792,highlight,%2Btesting+%2Blenses.html

http://forum.mflenses.com/testing-my-lenses-part-25-olympus-135mm-3-5-t37755,highlight,%2Btesting+%2Blenses.html

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RioRico wrote:
mmelvis wrote:

Ah, but which one? I think Vivitar released various 135/2.8's from various lensmakers over the years.

Anyway, the Takumar 135/3.5 is renowned as an exceedingly sharp lens. I have the S-M-C version, and it's like a razor.

erm My Vivitar 135 2.8 Komine is sharper than my super Tak 135mm f3.5....my theory about some of the common auto and super Taks is that they relied on contrast to appear sharp, but there is something about the Tak that gives a better picture, maybe it's because Vivitar lenses can give a cold bluey effect and a Tak is warmer.

Last edited by Excalibur on Mon Apr 11, 2011 7:35 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Pentacon 135/2.8 preset is simply wonderful Smile

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ManualFocus-G wrote:
The Pentacon 135/2.8 preset is simply wonderful Smile

+1 yeah and cheap..there's one in marketplace

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A 135mm lens would surely fit to your set.
But do not forget that it covers an euqivalent angle of a 200mm lens on your 7D. So, if you are looking for a longer tele for outdoor shots, that's the way to go.
If you rather want a lens that you also can use indoors, a 85/90mm lens would perhaps be wiser.
But those are much more expensive than the 135mm lenses.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all for your replies.
@ LucisPictor: yeah, I'm right thinking to the crop factor that actually is something I kinda like when it comes to this lenses. Thanks for the heads up though.

@ WolveringX: I'm not very impressed about the Olympus but I like your first picture here http://forum.mflenses.com/testing-my-lenses-part-25-olympus-135mm-3-5-t37755,highlight,%2Btesting+%2Blenses.html

A bit confused about the Vivitar and the S. Takumar now.
Also at first glance it seems that Vivitar and S. Takumar are a bit less expensive than Pentacon.
By the way Pentacon seems may vary from $60 to $120 or more. I guess it should be possible to find a good deal.

I'll look for some samples about the above three lenses, if you have some good pages to suggest please let me know.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vivitar Links

http://forum.mflenses.com/vivitar-135-28-tx-t37349.html

http://www.mflenses.com/gallery/v/mfl_club_members/patrickh/Vivitar+135_2-8+CF/

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like my Steinheil Auto-D Tele-Quinar 135mm f2.8 and would recommend it to anyone.
I also would like to try that Pentacon

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A thought......The Vivitar 70-150 zoom is VG and still going cheap, I've the 2 touch with matching 2Xs extender, and I think it's good enough to go in the "best of lenses" threads.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive got Jupiter 37Aand SMC Takumar in that focal length, and I Absolutely love Takumar. Jupiter 37A is nice and well, but I like the Takumar bit more Wink. Its sharper and contrastier, but 37A has bit nicer bokeh but its a bit low on contrast wide open.

Few Recent Takumar Shots, bit of sharpening and and some PP...

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've Jupiter 37A (135/3.5) and Pentacon Auto (135/2.Cool, both came very cheap and really good. The Jupiter is sharper (Sonnar design if I'm correct) but as NothingMan mentioned, contrast is a bit lower. Pentacon is just great.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all for the advices.

From what I've seen around the Pentacon seems to be a really nice lens, most probably I'll go with that lens.