Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Nikon 100mm f2.8 Series E - Share your pictures
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 5:32 am    Post subject: Nikon 100mm f2.8 Series E - Share your pictures Reply with quote

There is a thread running currently asking for the best lens between 100 and 150mm for a specified budget.
Now there are plenty of 135mm lenses that will fill the bill, but the best bang for buck might very well be the humble 100/2.8E-Nikon Lens.
These regularly sell for well under $100 and they produce outstanding results.
Here are a couple of mine. We have had our first rains today for months and the air is clean, the bushfire smoke has dissipated and the air is cool.
Some bella donnas:

Nikon D300 f8

Nikon D300 f11

100% crop:

OH

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the later barrel one but I don't use it as I should... Sad

I took this snapshot to my cousin when I received the lens some months ago.
I think it was wide open with a Nikon D80 (no meter with this lens). Missed the focus a bit.

I like the smoothness of the rendering of this lens.
It isn't the sharpest lens around, but I wouldn’t call it soft. Wide open the is some smear of fine details, but closed down by just 1 stop it cures it.
The only thing I don't like is the feel of the aperture ring. It's too "plasticy".

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have first or second series?

I have the second series (with chrome ring) but I still prefer its brother 135mm f2.8 E.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ema90 wrote:
Do you have first or second series?

I have the second series (with chrome ring) but I still prefer its brother 135mm f2.8 E.

First series I think.
This one anyway:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really love the size of the lens .

Some pictures I recently made with it http://www.flickr.com/photos/emanuelepoggix/tags/nikon100mmf28e/

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems to be a very capable lens!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

caspert79 wrote:

I think the main differences between this 100mm and the Nikkor 105mm f2,5 are focus precision , color , contrast and bokeh.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ema90 wrote:
caspert79 wrote:

I think the main differences between this 100mm and the Nikkor 105mm f2,5 are focus precision , color , contrast and bokeh.

So, nothing significant then ............ Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
OH

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great samples!!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldhand wrote:
Ema90 wrote:
caspert79 wrote:

So, nothing significant then ............ Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
OH

They are probably the same lens but relabeled Smile

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
Great samples!!

+1

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to Ken Rockwell it should be pretty damn good:

'In direct comparison tests at infinity at f/2.8 this lens was a tiny bit sharper than my 85mm f/2 AI-s, 80-200 AF-S and my AF 105mm f/2.8D micro. So there.'

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know how it compares with the very best 100/105mm lens out there, but it is a really fine lens with excellent resolution in the images that I have taken.
It may very well be the best value in lines/mm per dollar spent.
It would be nice to see some more examples of the images that it produces.
OH

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are a couple of mine with the 100mm. It can indeed take very sharp images. I would say the difference between it and the 105mm Nikkor are image contrast, not sharpness. Also, if I had to drop one onto a concrete floor ...

Here's a three-frame panorama with the 100mm:

Semi-challenging light conditions:

A close-focus sample:

More samples in this tag set: http://www.flickr.com/photos/gaeger2/tags/100mmf28e/

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gaeger wrote:
Here are a couple of mine with the 100mm. It can indeed take very sharp images. I would say the difference between it and the 105mm Nikkor are image contrast, not sharpness. Also, if I had to drop one onto a concrete floor ...

Pictures seem pretty contrasty to me though. I'd love to see a side-by-side comparison of the two lenses.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today I've made a shot for this thread Wink

At f11 in a cloudy day .

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice picture, thanks for sharing!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All really nice results. Looks like a bargain at under $100.

OH, your #1 shot shows some nice pop. Nikkors have always handled the reds well.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any one selling theirs? Laughing

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you everyone for sharing these images.
Thanks frenched for the compliment - yes they seem to handle reds very well.
Gaeger's second image of the two singing ladies shows other colours well, and the contrast looks spot-on to me.
I have seen these sell for as little as $33, and their is a common sales price of around $70 on Ebay.
A bargain lens indeed.
More images welcome.
OH

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Port Macquarie Half-Ironman today:

Re-size only - no PP

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gaeger wrote:

Here's a three-frame panorama with the 100mm:

Semi-challenging light conditions:

A close-focus sample:

More samples in this tag set: http://www.flickr.com/photos/gaeger2/tags/100mmf28e/

Nice panorama, congrats!